Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:20 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I should try to get this honor because I've just recently been reading about New Zealand and the Maori people and now I really hope to someday go there! :D

Rom 8:28

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:21 pm 
Master Guide

I hope you do get the honor sweetie2u. There's a lot in there to learn, and it is all pretty interesting. I would very much love to travel to NZ sometime.

BTW, is there anyone out there who has ever done any colporteuring? The Literature Evangelism honor in the wikibook could really use your help.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:00 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Aboriginal Lore honor (or honour!) are now available in the Wikibook. This one should not require travel to Australia so it should be doable by people in North America.

It is yet another fascinating honor!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:32 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Now completed is the Model Hot Air Balloon honor. This honor is truly a fun one to complete as well as teach. I hope you all enjoy it as much as I have (and still am).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:43 am 
Master Guide

Nice job! Do you know if the patch is available yet? If so we should remove the notice in the wiki.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:19 pm 
Master Guide

jomegat,

The patch is available. The number is 005735 in case you want to order.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:02 pm 
Master Guide

I'm sure I'll want to order one of these days, but not yet. I have removed the "patch unavailable" notice from the Answer Book. From what I can tell then, all honors for which the requirements have been published now have insignia except Internet and Internet - Advanced. Please tell me those are available now too!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:41 am 
Master Guide

Sorry, Internet is not available yet. I'm waiting for that. Is so strange that the newest Honor already have the patch and this one that is was approved a couple years ago do not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:33 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
The balloon patch is quite colorful. The balloon honor really could use one more thing to make it easier to work on. The directions for the panel form could really use a diagram to illustrate the distances from center.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:11 am 
Master Guide

I added a TODO box to the wiki saying that. That way this thought won't fall through the cracks.

I think I understand the directions, and I might be able to draw the picture. If I find time to make one, I'll bounce it off you before adding it to the wiki.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:42 pm 
Master Guide

It has been a while since I've finished a chapter in the Wikibook, but I finally did finish off Indian Lore - Advanced tonight.

It's a lot easier to earn this one than it was to write the answers for it. To earn the honor, you need to "Discuss the Indians of your area" with regard to a number of aspects of their lives. I didn't think I could claim that the chapter was finished though until I did this for five areas. There are another five that also should have been done, but this chapter is already very long, so I let it go at five. That does cover most of North America anyhow. For those of you whose area is not covered - you are invited to add more material.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:16 pm 
Master Guide

The last of the Lore Honors are now complete. Instruction for the Africa Lore honor is now available.

This is one of the honors that will be taught at Oshkosh. I'm curious to see how they handle the last requirement.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:25 pm 
Master Guide

I just finished off the Model Railroad honor. The bulk of the work on this one was done by Pastor Dave Kobliska of the Anoka SDA Church in the Minnesota Conference. If you know him, be sure to say thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:41 pm 
Master Guide

Answer for the Puppetry honor are ready now. This honor is from the South Pacific Division and they place it in the Outreach category. It really looks like it would be a lot of fun, and I believe it could be easily earned by an AY unit as part of their class work (i.e., present a skit from the book of Acts/Good Samartian, etc).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:59 pm 
Master Guide

I'm not much use in the kitchen, but I took a major stab at the Baking honor anyhow. I'd certainly be interested in any feedback (positive or negative) on this one, as it has been several years in the making.

The really good news is that this brings the Household Arts section up to 75% complete. There are only four honors left in this category that are not yet finished: Dressmaking - Advanced, Mat Making, Tailoring, and Tapa Cloth.

That brings us to 242 completed honors out of 354. However, I understand that the NAD Honors Committee has approved (but not yet released) another seven honors (some of which will be taught at Oshkosh), so soon this will be 242 complete out of 361. Still, we are getting closer and closer to the 75% mark overall, and I find that very exciting.

Just as a reminder, I'll mention that ANYONE (including you) can edit the Wikibook. You do not need permission first. So please come over and contribute your passion and expertise (or develop some expertise) and share it with Pathfinders from all over the world.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:09 pm 
Master Guide

Answers for the Letterboxing and Letterboxing - Advanced honors are now ready. Actually, they've been ready for a while, but I didn't notice that they were so close to done until today.

Letterboxing could be described as Geocaching without a GPS. If you like Geocaching, you'd probably like Letterboxing as well. If you don't know if you'd like Geocaching, it would be a good idea to try Letterboxing first, as it does not require much of a financial commitment. Then if you like it, you could try Geocaching as well. I dare say, that if you don't like Letterboxing, you will probably not like Geocaching either!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:00 am 
Master Guide

Kenneth Jo Deles from the Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies (AIIAS) Pathfinder club has added answers to the Skin Diving honor. This looks like a most excellent honor to earn in the summer, so if you're interested, now is the time (at least in the Northern Hemisphere).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:31 pm 
Master Guide

I just imported and cleaned up three articles covering the history of Gold Prospecting, as that was all that remained to be done on the Gold Prospecting honor. Most of the other work was done by forum user JoeLee. He's MrJoe on Wikibooks, but more importantly, he's the author of the honor! Thanks for the honor Joe, and thanks for contributing your answers to the WIkibook project.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:54 am 
Superlative Voyager

I'm looking forward to earning this honor at Oshkosh!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 am 
Master Guide

And I'm waiting to finish it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:01 pm 
New Friend

Thanks for fixing up the Gold Prospecting answers, we will be using the answers from the wikibook at Oshkosh. I still want to add some more pictures, maybe some from Oshkosh, and a sample time line, but I haven't had time to work on it yet. :(

We expect between 2,000 and 2,500 people to go through the Gold Prospecting honor. There should be sign up sheets available for the honor. There will be a $5 fee, but you will get a gold pan and sucker to keep, along with a vial and any gold you find. The honor should take between 1 and 1 1/2 hours to earn. And we still have slots available for people who would like to help teach the honor. We've changed the length of each volunteer slot from 4 to 2 hours long. Though we would like everyone to come 30 min early for their first slot for an orientation.

I'm looking forward to meeting some of you, though hopefully I will not have to be at the honor the whole time. :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:10 pm 
Master Guide

You're welcome! BTW, when I declare an honor chapter "done", or "ready", or "100%", that doesn't mean it can't or shouldn't be edited any more. It means that it has enough information in it that it can be used for teaching every requirement. In some cases, there are requirements that say do ONE of the following, and then it lists half a dozen options. It is my intention that the Wikibook ultimately have instruction for meeting every one of these options, but that doesn't stop me from making the "ready" declaration. It's just "ready enough" I guess.

If anyone wants to add something to an honor that has already been declared "done" they most certainly should! Please! By all means!

The really great thing about this Wikibook project (in my opinion) is that if someone finds something incorrect or out-of-date, or if they know of a better technique, they are at liberty to make an update then and there without getting permission from anyone. Then everyone will benefit. The objection to this tremendously powerful "anyone can edit" feature is that the book is then subject to vandalism. There are two things that lessen that problem.

First, I have every page in "our" book on my watch list and I check it a couple of times every day. I see and vet every change anyone makes to our book. If it is vandalism, it gets reverted. If it has a spelling error, it gets corrected. If I know the new "fact" to be wrong, I fix it.

Second, Wikibooks now has a feature called Flagged Revisions. This means that edits made by people without a track record on the project (including anonymous edits) do not show up by default. Rather, the flagged version will show up. New versions are still available, but in order to see them, you have to click a different link. When constructive edits are made to our book, I, or any other trusted editor can promote them. I promote such edits within 24 hours, making them the new default version.

So! enough of that! I'm just glad that everyone is able to benefit from the all the hard work so many people have put into this project!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:55 am 
Helpful Explorer

To all those people wanting to visit New Zealand to complete the Maori Lore honour.
We welcome you. Please come and see us and our amaizing country.
But if your are unable can I suggest an alternative to actually visiting a Pa. Some big city museums may have a Pacific or New Zealand section so a visit to this may be ample to fulfill the requriement. Just a thought. Some of these old Pa site have nothing actually there. But the taking part in a ceromony at a Marae may be difficult unless there are NZ Maori communities in other countries who still have traditional meetings.
But some honours are nearly impossible to get outside of the Division they were created in. The Tree Climbing honour (SPD) need you to climb a coconut tree. Some climb!

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:50 am 
Helpful Explorer

Our club completed the Model Hotair Balloon honour. Had our flights sucessful. The night was a bit windy. Yes at night!! Wanted to get honour finished. See picture on wiki answers.
Lovely token.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:40 am 
Master Guide

Very cool Harv!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next