Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Nov 14, 2019 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 pm 
Master Guide

While the forum was down, Wikibooks was still up, and we managed to polish off four more honors:

Pioneering
String Art
Heredity
Basic Rescue

Also, Lwan98 found the requirements to several new honors over at AdventSource and added them to the wiki. People have been working on Model Hot Air Balloons and Unicycling, so if you have an interest in those, check them out. If you have expertise in them, join in the editing!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 6:56 pm 
Master Guide

There is some great news from Wikimedia labs today. For about a year they have had an "export to PDF" feature in development, and today - they launched it on Wikibooks! Yay! This means you can print out a decent looking copy of any honor. The format is quite impressive. To do this, go to the honor you want to print, and then look for a "Download as PDF" link on the left side (you may need to scroll down a ways). Click it, and it will generate the PDF on the fly. Then you can download it to your computer and print off as many copies as you want.

You can also create "collections," and I may be fooling with this pretty soon myself. A collection would be several honors grouped together (such as the ADRA honors or the Nature series). Then you can generate a PDF of the entire collection. Watch out for huge download sizes though, as some honors are pretty big in their own right (Edible WIld Plants is 53 megs). Not for the faint of heart or for those with dial-up connections, but I can tell you that the formatting of the PDF is SWEET.

Also... I just finished off the Basic Sewing honor. It has a nice short PDF.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:59 pm 
Master Guide

OK, I made a PDF of the Nature Series. It's 330Mbytes, not a gig like I supposed it would be. You can have Wikibooks render a new one by going to this page, then clicking the "load collection" link in the left panel. From there you can have Wikibooks render a PDF of the latest and greatest, which you can then download. I will make collections for the other eight series too, but prolly not tonight.

Once you have loaded a collection, they also present you with the option to buy a bound copy from Pediapress. I think it said it would cost $28, which is less than the official answer books. I tried to buy one, but was met with an internal server error. I will try again soon.

Just so you know, I won't see a penny of that $28, and I am TOTALLY OK WITH THAT. I didn't pour my heart into this project for monetary gain. If you want a bound and printed copy of the Wiki answer books, you very much have my blessing to buy it from these guys. I doubt they're making a profit on it anyhow. $28 for a one-off book seems like it would barely be enough to cover productions costs to me, but I'm not in the printing business, so I wouldn't really know.

If you're feeling ambitious, you could also print the PDF and bind it yourself while you earn the Bookbinding honor. And yes, you most definitely will have earned it if you go that route! If you want to just print it out and jam it in a binder, I recommend that you buy paper with three holes already punched in it. The Nature Series is 622 pages, so yes, you'll need a whole package or two.

Oh - one other note. For this Nature collection I linked to above, I added the GC version of Stars (not the South Pacific Division version), and I added the NAD version of Stars Advanced (vs the GC version). If you want a non-NAD version, you can replace those after you load the collection. It's not that hard.

So! Exciting times!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 9:31 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Cool! I will definitely be taking advantage of this new feature.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:30 am 
Master Guide

Thanks Jomegat. I will take advantage of it. I will do it myself first to earn the Bookbiding honor. Later I will order them.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:03 am 
Master Guide

If you're looking to earn the Bookbinding honor using the answer books, you might want to scale back a little. I wouldn't attempt to bind a 622 page volume as my first project.

I have made tiny little booklets (5.5" x 4", quarter sheets of paper) in the past using saddle stitching from the camping skills answers. You might want to include Camping Skills I-IV, Camp Craft, Fire Building, and Winter Camping. There are a few more that might be handy if you want a slightly bigger project: Dutch Oven Cooking, Pioneering, and Wilderness Living. All of those are completed too, so bonus! I threw Stars into mine as well, because we were going to work on the Stars honor on the campout that inspired the booklet.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:09 am 
Master Guide

Yes, I think I'll do that. Specially since I'm teaching the MG class and we will do a weekend campout. By the way, I have to downloaded it again. The first time it was corrupted. So, hopefully it will download correctly this time.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 10:25 am 
Master Guide

Received the following message: "The file is damaged and could not be repaired'. :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:03 pm 
Master Guide

I did try again and got it this time. :smt026 :smt038 :smt045

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 5:46 pm 
Master Guide

Hooray! I'm glad it work for you Betsy. I found I had better luck right-clicking the "download PDF" button and saving it to my computer, verses loading it directly into my browser.

Also, I have just finished the Sign Language honor, and that makes the Outreach Series cross the 75% mark. Hooray again! I would like it very much if anyone who knows sign language would take a look at it in case I made any errors - I'm sure there are some, but I am not sufficiently competent to know what they might be.

I did leave a TODO box in this honor, and it would be an excellent project for a group of Pathfinders. It would really be nice if someone would record a group (or a person) signing a simple song on video. You can use one of the songs suggested in the Answer Book, or you can choose another one more to your liking. Once you have a video, please upload it to the Wikimedia Commons so we can include it in this book. If you need help uploading the video, let me know - I'd be glad to help!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 5:53 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Sign Language - Advanced honor are now complete. I did leave a TODO box in this one though, because this chapter is not quite stand-alone. I would very much like it if some of you out there would video record yourselves signing the Lord's Prayer, Beatitudes, and 10 Commandments for the book. All the better if you could do this while wearing a Class A uniform. Once you have the videos, upload them to the Wiki so we can make them a permanent part of the book. Right now we're relying on Youtube and a book for these.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:38 pm 
Astute Guide

I was just looking at the Bible Marking honor. It looks very interesting! I might try teaching it sometime. I honestly didn't think that it would be that interesting.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:52 pm 
Master Guide

We invited the director of a neighboring club to teach Bible Marking during honors week a couple of years ago. I thought it was pretty interesting too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:04 pm 
Astute Guide

Whoa! That is an amazing thought... inviting the director of another club to teach an honor... That is a really cool idea, actually. It would definitely foster comradery between clubs!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:00 pm 
Master Guide

The Genealogy honor now has complete answers. If I didn't learn anything else from this, I absolutely learned how to spell "genealogy."

Stephanie East did a lot of the initial work on this, and there were numerous additions by anonymous contributors. Thanks to all of you! This brings the total completed honor count up to 224.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:11 pm 
Master Guide

Answers for the Block Printing Honor are now complete. This one looks like a great honor for a rainy afternoon. You might need to lay out a little cash to get some of the equipment, but I don't think it should be too expensive. You might be able to knock this one out in about three hours, but it depends on how fast you can carve linoleum (and potatoes).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:52 pm 
Master Guide

I have advice for earning the Shoe Repair honor on the Wiki. I don't believe shoe repair is a trade you can learn by reading a chapter in an answer book, or even an entire book dedicated to the subject. Rather, you will need to get training from an experienced cobbler. I think the original authors of this honor understood that to be true as well, and thus, requirement 8 was put in place.

In researching this one, I came across some pretty old books about the shoe industry. I've even placed an order for one in the hopes that Amazon can find a copy (there is no guarantee, and I would be astounded if they found one at all).

If nothing else, you might find the Youtube videos I linked to in the wiki interesting. I know I did. Oh - and shoe repair happens to be a recession-proof industry. The worse the economy gets, the more demand there is for shoe repair services!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:01 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Home Nursing honor are now ready. This completes the Health and Science Series!

I will most likely order a hard copy of this through Pediapress tomorrow. I've been attempting to do that with the Nature Series (as it too is complete), but it exceeds the maximum number of pages they can handle. I will therefore have to break the Nature Series into two volumes before I can get a hard copy.

Have any of you gotten a hard copy of any of these yet? I'd like to know what you think about it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:31 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Plastics honor are now complete.

This is an honor that I never would have given a second look. Plastics? Right. But as with many honors, it is actually quite interesting. I think it could be earned with about three hours of class time. And how many people do you know who have the Plastics honor? You could have a unique sash!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:53 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the Leather Craft honor are now complete. While researching this one, I found a great web site full of information about leather crafting (Kingsmere Crafts). It's listed at the bottom of the wiki page in the references section.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:00 pm 
Master Guide

House Painting, Exterior is the first honor in 2009 to be marked complete. I don't know why I hadn't done this one sooner. I had looked at it several times anhttp://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventis ... _Exteriord had gotten stuck on the "select ten color schemes" requirement. My lovely bride suggested that I consider the color wheel, and I guess that's all it took. Once I got that requirement out of the way, the rest came easy.

A lot of this honor was written with my own wording (vs copied from WIkipedia), so it has a hint of my twisted sense of humor here and there. I hope you enjoy reading it as much as I enjoyed writing it!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:13 pm 
Master Guide

Answer to the Cultural Heritage honor are now ready for public consumption. I was stuck on this one for a long time, but I think it's in pretty OK shape now.

That brings the total up to 231 honors with comprehensive answers. Yay!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:26 pm 
Master Guide

I just finished writing the answers to the Dressmaking honor. This comes right on the heels of my having churned out twelve Bible garments for our Adventurer's annual Camp-In.

My wife serves as the Adventurer director, and she was stressing out over outfitting a large number of people for the program. The twelve garments did that for six people (including her and myself). As you might imagine, I got better at it as I went along, and the last couple of garments took me only two hours each, from start to finish.

Camp-In was a resounding success. I played the part of a Jewish carpenter (not Joseph, and not Jesus) in the city of Jerusalem during the last week of Christ's sojourn here. It was actually a lot of fun! I have a large collection of old woodworking hand tools, and was able to make lots of wood shavings right there in the Sabbath School room. Big mess, but lots of fun!

Don't tell the kids, but most of the tools I had - though many consider them antiquated now - were not developed in that form until the 19th century. They had hand planes and saws back in Jesus' time, but they didn't look like the ones most of us are familiar with.

Anyhow - Dressmaking is the other winner here.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:39 pm 
Master Guide

I just finished putting together the answers to the Leather Craft - Advanced honor. This one took quite a bit of work. I ended up making a sheath for both a hatchet and a knife (you can do either one for the honor, but I wanted instruction in the WIkibook for both). I took several pictures as these two projects progressed, and finally, tonight - it is finished.

I didn't have a knife of my own that needed a sheath, but a friend of mine did. I asked to borrow it, and now he'll get a new sheath out of the deal. I also ended up figuring out how to make rivets out of copper tacks. That's a lot cheaper than buying rivets in the craft store, and a bit more satisfying as well.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:21 pm 
Master Guide

Wow. I cant believe that the answers to Maori Lore are finally complete enough that this honor could be taught using the Wikibook, but there ya go. The answers to this honor took a long time to pull together, and it could still use some more work. One requirement can be met by making a tukutuku panel, a tipare (headband), a basket, or a mat. I only gave instruction for the tipare, which took a long time to dig up. I did make one though, and once I figured out how to do it, I photo-documented the procedure. It's worth a look.

I don't know what skill level this honor is officially, but if you ask me, it should be a high 2 or maybe even a 3. I still haven't met every requirement, as it does require a visit to an old pa site (that would be a Maori fortification) as well as participation in a marae (a Maori ceremony). You can bet that if I ever get a chance to go to New Zealand, these two things will be at the top of my list of things to do.

Anyhow, that brings us up to 234 completed honors. Only 120 more to go (unless the Honors Committee approved more last month).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next