[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Online AY Honor Answer Books

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Jan 26, 2020 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:23 am 
Master Guide

Hi Harv,

For honors that have requirements that differ in different Divisions, I always set up a disambiguation page. One example of this is the honor. Rather than attempting to deal with requirements renumbering and rewording, there are multiple forks.

If you send me the official SPD version of the requirements, I can make a fork for it, and would be glad to do so. Or... I can make a fork and YOU can edit it. I would be delighted to show you the ropes on the wiki. Right now the Answer Book is NAD-centric, but my intent is to make it as global as possible. I only make forks when I know there are differences, but there are surely many differences of which I am unaware.

As for the requirements you add when you teach the honor, there is room for that information in the answers, but I would not add them as part of the requirements . I try to stick with the official version(s) of the requirements as closely as I can.

BTW, I saw Invercargill yesterday and thought of you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:55 am 
Helpful Explorer

3) Norwegian Forest cat. Norway. These cats originally protected the grain on the Viking Ships from rodents. Now breed as a domestic cat. The Summer coat is very different from the Winter coat in thickness,
So wrote Harv from New Zeeland as a comment to the SPD requirement of 7 undomestical cats and where in the world these cats live.
I'm not so sure Harv is complete right.
What definitely is correct is that a breed of domestical cats is known world-wide as "Norwegian Forest cat", but this one doesn't live in the wild neither here in Norway or anywhere else in the world - and I'm not so sure it has ever done so, on the contrary - I'm quite convinced that it is a breed.
I know that cats were brought on ships to protect grain from rodents, just as Harv mentions, but I never heard the Vikings did so. The Vikings lived from app. 850 - 1130 and I've allways learned that it was several centuries later, when international trading grew more important that cats were doing this job, but Harv might be right, though - I've never learned everything about the Vikings (or enything else). I just didn't expect to be taught this about my early ancestors form a fellow from New Zeeland!
Returning to the cats - there is a European wild cat still living in the wild. It is knewn as European Wild Cat , Felis silvestris, and it lives in Southern and Eastern Europe, Northern Africa, and Asia as far east as western China.
In Norway our honors has a similar requirement as the SPD version, just that it is asked for wild cats, including the big cats, and in Europe, actually only in Norway, Schweden, and Finland, we have the the Northern Lynx, the Lynx lynx, living in the wild as a predator. And then there is the Spanish Lynx, or the Pardel lynx, living in Spain, and perhaps Balcan. There is some discussion whether these two are but local variations or different species/subspecies, though.

Lupus

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:46 am 
Helpful Explorer

http://www.cfa.org/breeds/profiles/norwegian.html
Gives some history of the norway forest cat, In Norway they are known as skogkatter. I have never seen one and not every thing on web correct but thanks for your information.

Jim the tuatara are interesting to see at the Southland Museum. The young ones run about quite fast, but old Henry and the other adults stay still and you are lucky to see a head or tail move but if you hang around for a while you see more.
The SPD is suposed to be doing an honour review at present so hopefully we will get the ADRA honours and many more that we currently dont have. I did Bones Muscle and Movement a couple of years back got it marked and passed but to get the token patch was hard in the end I emailed the NAD director with a string of emails for proof and he organised one free and posted to me. The SPD would not order a patch singlely as they normally buy in lots of 25 for a good price.
Geoff.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:01 pm 
Master Guide

The honor is finished now, or at least close enough. I had to punt on this one, as there is no way I was going to be able to put an acceptable field guide to marine algae together. The punt is that I'm recommending the PF obtain a good field guide. I have asked a Flemish marine biologist living in the UK to upload algae photos to the Wikimedia Commons - that's where most of the photos and illustrations in answer book come from anyhow. This guy is active on The Commons, and being a marine biologist, spends a lot of time near marine algae. He said he'd give it a shot, so as he takes and uploads photos, I will be adding them to the answer book.

In other news... I took a picture of a duck track today and added it to the Animal Tracking honor. I still need tracks for an earthworm and a snake - maybe something else too, I can't remember.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:34 am 
Master Guide

Well... Jomegat, you may want to check it... but I believe the caving honor is complete!

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2008 2:13 pm 
Master Guide

Looks good, Rider. I marked it as complete. You need to look into the rope assisted climb image though (I sent you an email about it).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:17 am 
Master Guide

Answers to the Honor are now complete.

Also, here's a link to the honor Rider finished off for us.

I had to repost this BTW. For some reason, BBCodes wouldn't render in the previous one, and no matter how much editing I did, I could not fix it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 7:43 pm 
Master Guide

The honor now has a complete set of answers. There are still several pet-related honors that need pet-related answers. I'll probably finish off the Dog Training honor soon, but I could sure use a bit of help on Cats - Advanced. I haven't lived with a cat since I was a kid, and those cats were barn cats. So it's safe to say I am unqualified to provide cat-care tips. It's even safer to say that I'm the wrong person to answer Bird Pets and Small Mammal Pets, as I have never lived with either. Except that we had gerbils in my classroom when I was in the third grade.

So c'mon - I know SOMEONE on this forum can provide intelligent answers to these! Once the pet-related honors are finished, there will only be three other left in the Nature Series (Palm Trees, Shells - Advanced, and Wattles). Once we can knock these out, I will expend the effort required to generate a gigantic PDF version of the Nature honors, and after that... maybe a print version?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 4:58 pm 
Master Guide

The 200th completed honor is now ready: .

Woohoo! That means we have only 154 more to go until we have answers for every single one of them (approved at the Division level or higher). There are still six honors in the Nature Series that need more answers, and as I have written earlier, four of those require the attention of pet owners (cats, birds, small mammals). I can probably finish off the Dog Care and Training honor myself, but that should not stop anyone else from working on it. Please feel free!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:57 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Hi Jim
My son and I were looking at the Chemisrty answers. Latin name for Gold is aurum. He takes latin at school. I also checked it in Google. aurum latin.

Have been looking at Orienteering also and will eventually share the SPD version of it. It is the honour for the sport of orienteering. We have a Map and Compass honour which is similar to the NAD Orienteering.

Geoff.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:19 pm 
Master Guide

Hi Harv4,

Of course you are right about aurum, and I have corrected it. BTW, you could have corrected it by clicking the "edit" button on the page. Anyone can do that.

I know aurum from Trifolium aurum, commonly known as hop clover where I live. It is a clover with a golden yellow flower. Working on the Wikibook has introduced me to a lot of Latin. I prefer to use the scientific names of any creatures (plant or animal) I write about, as it is unambiguous and better suited to international use. My work on the Wikibook also led me to the Bloom Clock Project on Wikiversity, and that has become for me a consuming hobby. I have been logging plants in bloom (by their scientific names) several times a week since the Dandelions (Taraxacum officinale) started blooming here in April. I started working on that project last year around the end of July, and the winter months were killers for me - nothing tends to bloom when there's a meter of snow on the ground!

Feel free to send me the Map and Compass requirements and I will find a place for it in the Wiki. Or you could dive in yourself. If you make a mess, I promise to help clean it up.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:42 pm 
Master Guide

In spite of my claim that I was unsuited to answer this one, is ready. I found a couple of decent articles in Wikipedia that I was able to import into the chapter. These articles looked to have been written by people who know their stuff, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings if some of you out there would review it and/or revise it.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:56 pm 
Master Guide

The honor is now complete. I know of two methods to housebreak a dog, crate training, and paper training. I have only used crate training, and not being an expert on paper training, I left it off (though there's a place for it). The requirement is to describe how to housebreak a puppy, so having some valid training method listed will meet that requirement. But if anyone wants to fill in the info on paper training, I think the answer book will be better for it.

Four more to go on the Nature series!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:32 am 
Master Guide

The honor is done now. That leaves us with only three more in the Nature category!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:56 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:13 pm 
Master Guide

I have just finished what has proven to be one of the most difficult honors to find answers for: .

I searched the Internet for literally days looking for the answer to requirement 5, eventually finding some info that would allow me to mine an online database to ferret out the numbers. Whew! That was a lot of work!

The real kicker here is that I am unlikely to ever earn this honor myself, unless I luck into a trip to Australia someday. The last requirement is to collect 10 or photograph 20 species of Acacia (aka Wattles). A few species grow outside Australia, but certainly not in New Hampshire!

Man... I wonder how I can finagle a trip to Oz?

And one other thing: the only honor that has not been completely answered in the Nature series is Small Mammal Pets. Help is certainly appreciated, but you'd better act fast - that's next on my list.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:40 am 
Helpful Explorer

The Orienteering Honour (South Pacific Division) is almost finished. Have some other pictures to finish it. So watch this space. I have labeled it Orienteering (The Sport)

Geoff

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:29 am 
Master Guide

Very nice Geoff! I didn't know Orienteering was practiced as a competitive sport.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:11 pm 
Master Guide

I have just now finished off the honor, and for those of you who have been keeping up with this, I don't need to tell you that it was the last honor in the .

I was quite a thrill for me to update the stage icon on the main page showing 100% completion of the first of nine series!

I also want to thank an anonymous contributor for adding info on five varieties of rabbits and hamsters. It would have taken me forever to dig that info up. I reformatted that info a bit to make it look nice, and imported a lot of material from Wikipedia to flesh it out even more.

Whew! That was a lot of work!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:21 pm 
Master Guide

Answers and tips for completing the honor are now completed. That brings to the total completed honor count up to 207 out of 354.

As I write this, I'm listening to the rain which is the remnants of Hurricane Hannah, and it reminds me of the trip my club made to Bass Memorial Academy in Mississippi to help with their reconstruction efforts following Katrina. The devastation wrought on BMA turned out to be a blessing in disguise, as donations and volunteers poured in to give them an essentially brand new campus. Prior to Katrina they had been struggling with a deteriorating infrastructure. Sometimes the Lord works in mysterious ways.

And now here we are in the middle of a very active hurricane season again. The Disaster Relief honor would be a good way to prepare your club to help out if worse comes to worse.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 5:26 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the honor are now available. Like Disaster Response, this honor is a member of the ADRA series. And actually, with the completion of this one, the ADRA series is now complete! Hoorays!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 3:54 pm 
Master Guide

It's been a long time comin', but the answers to the are now ready. The South Pacific Division has lately been re-examining all the Pathfinder Honours, and they have several answers online for those who establish user accounts on . A lot of the material for Bible Marking was drawn from there.

I am also pleased to report that the SPD Honours Committee has also been making use of the Wikibooks material! I originally billed the wiki stuff as "unofficial," but the SPD is slowly changing that.

The danger of the wiki is that anyone can edit it, including vandals. But that's also the strength. Our project on Wikibooks has had numerous positive contributions by anonymous people, so it has benefited from the "anyone can edit" policy far more than it has been harmed. But this does require constant vigilance. The SPD Honours Committee has wisely decided to take snapshots of our work on Wikibooks. They then go through the material with a fine-toothed comb and incorporate it into their official documentation. They have even fed some of their changes back to me, and I have added them to the Wikibook.

Wikibooks will soon be adding a feature like this, where the version presented by default will be which ever one has most recently been reviewed and tagged by an admin as "good". The general public will have to click another link to get the latest, unreviewed version, and will still be able to edit it as before. I don't know when this feature will be rolled out, but I can hardly wait! When that happens, I will be sure to review any edits to our project on a timely basis and tag the positive contributions as "good".

But even with that feature in place, I would expect the SPD to still use our material as they are now - mainly because the I am probably the only SDA admin on Wikibooks. Also, it is good for them to review the material and suggest changes when necessary, or expand on the work we have done.

The Lord is truly blessing this project!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:03 pm 
Master Guide

Answers to the honor are ready now too. These honors would be great to work on as an AY unit. There are many AY requirements that could be met by offering a Bible study during club worship time, or as a devotional on a campout (these are Camping Skills requirements).

So why not look it over? With little additional work, you could have an additional honor and add a valuable Bible-study tool to your personal arsenal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:30 am 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:01 am 
New Friend

The official requirements for Gold Prospecting and Gold Prospecting advanced have been added. And there are answers for all the basic Gold Prospecting honor requirements. I haven't marked it complete because I plan on adding more pictures and links to it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next