Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 8:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 8:15 pm 
Master Guide

I don't know of any complete books out there, but you gave me a cool idea. Perhaps the members of this forum could collaborate on a few answer books using a wiki.

A Wiki is a web-based collaborative authoring tool - the most famous example of which is http://www.wikipedia.org. That's an online encyclopedia that anyone can edit. There are enough experts out there that it stays pretty accurate too. It has over half a million articles in English, and plenty of articles in other languages as well.

Another good example is http://wikibooks.org

I found a couple of books there that I linked to on my AY reading web site (http://users.erols.com/vathomas/reading.php). Since there is no answer book for the vocational honor series (and at least one other series lacks an answer book, but I can't think of which one that is), we could start with that (or those).

So - anyone want to help with this? If there's enough interest, I'd be glad to get it started.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:23 pm 
New Friend

Hi
There are some honour notes and answer booklets online at http://www.cybernex.net.au/clubs/pathfind/
:smt038

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:49 pm 
Master Guide

I like the idea of the wiki thing. I think that would be really fun, and it would be helpful. It would be much easier for a lot of people to compile the honors, than for one person to do it.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:47 am 
Master Guide

I've started a skeleton on wikibooks that anyone should feel free to edit/add to. I kinda hacked together an introduction, and I'm not at all happy with it, so feel free to improve it. You can get there by visiting

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book

I intend to start fleshing out the vocational honors first, concentrating on the fields with which I am professionally involved (computer, electricity, and radio electronics). If anyone else wants to join in, don't feel as if you need expertise at this point - creating an outline of any honor would be a very positive contribution. Taking a stab at an answer would also be positive, especially if we can get a lot of people to contribute.

As I was making the outline for the book, it occurred to me that the first aid/basic resue/red alert/cpr honors already DO have answer books, even though there is no answer book for the Health and Science series. I know these honors used to be part of some other series, and that they were recently reorganized - were they in Outreach? Anyhow, since they already have answers, I did not include links to the pages that will answer them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:05 pm 
Master Guide

Outreach, that is correct.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:16 pm 
Participating Companion

I do have the answers to several of the new Health Science honors posted on my website along with some websites that can be used to get more information to help teach the honor. The only one that I'm not quite finished with yet is the one for 'Blood & Body'.

The answers can be found at:
http://www.pathfindersrus.com/health_sciences.htm

- Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:45 pm 
Participating Companion

FYI - the answers to some to the honors that you have listed in the Wiki Books as needing answers; already have answers outlined in different answer books.

Home Nursing - Outreach Ministies Honors
Chemistry - Nature Honors
Optics - Nature Honors
Physics - Nature Honors

- Karen

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:59 pm 
Master Guide

Thanks. I'll remove those from the wiki. I'm really not looking to duplicate someone else's efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 4:10 pm 
Master Guide

Quote:
I do have the answers to several of the new Health Science honors posted on my website along with some websites that can be used to get more information to help teach the honor.

Karen, I'd be delighted if you'd contribute those to the wiki. You could do it yourself, or give me permission to add the info myself. You could also say "no" if you want to and I would not be upset.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 5:35 am 
Master Guide

I have finished the first draft of the answer book for the computer honor on wikibooks.org. You can review it (and edit it, please!) at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Advenstist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Vocational/Computer

I've also made a good start on the Advanced Computer and Electricity sections. Please feel free to jump in and add content!

Post subject: Is bigger is better?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 8:44 am 
Helpful Explorer

:!: It looks great!

:arrow: There are alternate answers that I have come up with for honors that are already in answer books.

:idea: I would suggest allowing answers for all Honors in all categories to make it possible for new fresh Ideas on old stale teachings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:47 am 
Master Guide

Quote:
I would suggest allowing answers for all Honors in all categories to make it possible for new fresh Ideas on old stale teachings.

Maybe, but I think the initial effort should be concentrated on providing answers for the honors that don't have them yet. I'm also a little concerned about violating copyright - I get paranoid just typing in the outline for the answers, since it's basically a verbatim re-hash of the requirements. I'm assuming that if I step over a line I'll get a cease and desist letter, but I'd rather not get one of those either.

Also, I have not detected anyone else adding content to this wikibook yet, so I'm not ABOUT to bite off a chunk that's an order of magnitude larger than the chunk I've already started nibbling on. Ideally, this should be a community effort.

Post subject: Patience.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:32 pm 
Helpful Explorer

:D Be patient. Most leaders are knee deep in classwork and campouts right now. Don't stop talking about the wiki books and keep asking for help. It will happen but not over night.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:41 pm 
Master Guide

Thanks for the encouragement Lonnie. It means a lot (especially since Advent source is the "competition"). Not that I'm trying to compete!

I have nearly finished the Radio Electronics answers. I need to draw several diagrams and do a little more writing, and it'll be good to go. I could really use some feedback on it folks! But if you see a typo, I'd rather you just jump in and FIX it rather than telling me about it.

There are plenty more honors to answer if any of you have the time. Don't feel as if you need ALL the answers to get started. Someone else will know what you don't!

Again, the link is http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:59 pm 
Master Guide

The AY Honors Answer Wikibook entry on the Radio Electronics honor now has enough information on it that it could be used to teach every requirement:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Vocational/Radio_Electronics

I'm still working on it, but since it's pretty usable now, I thought I'd announce it.

The overall Answer Book can be found here:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book

Once again, a Wikibook is a book that ANYONE can edit. If you know how to do one (or PART of one) of the Vocational, Household Arts, Outreach, or Outdoor Industries honors, please jump in and add some content! Outline the honor by listing the requirements - then add your answers.

Post subject: WOW on Wikibooks
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:08 pm 
Site Admin

jomegat, you have gone to a lot of effort. As possible I will ad info. Keep building and others will contribute! :lol:

Your hard work on helping find answers to some challenging honors is MUCH appreciated.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 9:13 am 
Master Guide

Thanks Mark, I really appreciate being appreciated (and getting help!)

I'd really like it if some of you could review the Radio Electronics answers - I'm not sure I've written it at the right level. I spent four years learning this stuff in college, and then spent another twenty in the business. It may need more detail. Sometimes it's hard to recognize what others DON'T know, and therefore, I may have glossed over some things a little too lightly (or a lot too lightly). OTOH, I'm not sure this material CAN be covered in a single chapter-length text. I've tried to concentrate more on the "what this component does" rather than on the "why it does what it does, and here's the math." Is what I've written even understandable by a non-engineer? It's hard for me to know because I are one. ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 8:48 am 
New Friend

jomegat,

Very nice, as an Electronics Technician and Community College teacher I sometimes have the problem of getting to technical with the Pathfinder age kids too. You have given enough explanation to answer the questions in the requirement and leave the Pathfinder perhaps curious to learn more. Nice work. :D

You might mention under the Siren heading that most if not all the kit manufacturers produce some type of noise maker or another. I believe that would fulfill the siren requirement (it's what I do when I teach the honor).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 10:29 am 
Master Guide

Thanks for the suggestion MrStark. I added the "kit" suggestion to the top of that section, as it seems it would apply to more than just the siren. I ordered an old (1980) National Semiconductor book that has a lot of audio/radio cookbook circuits. Right now I'm dusting off my old college text books - it has been a looong time since I've designed anything analog, especially at the transistor level. I plan to prototype a siren and maybe even a transistor radio. Once I have them working, I'll put schematics in the wiki. Once that's done, I might even buy a 3 1/2 digit ADC and build a voltmeter. My goal is to have schematics for all the projects, and to make sure they work!

As for the pressure sensor - I'm at a total loss there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:35 pm 
New Friend

hmmm...

there is a company that makes single chip pressure transducers. I think they output a voltage proportional to the applied pressure. They have a small hose (fish tank hose size) connector on them. I'll try to remember to look them up. I used one for a project in college.

Keep up the good work.

If you would like a second prototype of your circuits built, let me know. I figure if we both build one and they both work then the design is sound.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2005 10:58 pm 
Master Guide

Thanks for the offer MrStark. The two circuits I have posted are ones that I have built in the past. It was a long time ago, but I'm confident that they will work. I'd be delighted if you would check them out. As I've been working on this, it occured to me that we could use a Digital Logic Honor. Maybe someday...

I have been working on a siren design, but it would make my life a lot easier if you could send me one that already works. You could also jump in and add one yourself. I used a free package called "geda" to draw the schematics. I dunno if it runs under windows or not, but it works OK with Linux.

I have also been putting in a lot of time on the Woodworking Honor. It is complete enough now that it could be used to teach the honor, but the instructor will have to find project plans from some other source. I am going to TRY to add some of those myself as time permits. I don't think it would hurt to have several in the answer book though, so if there are any woodworkers out there, please, PLEASE feel free to jump and and contribute.
Again, the answer wikibook can be found here: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book
All the work so far has been done under the vocational section.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 10:59 pm 
Master Guide

Check out the new Bones, Muscles, and Movement Honor entry in the AY Honors Answer Book Wiki:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book_Health_and_Science/Bones

As always, I'm looking for help in creating more of these and in making the ones that are there even better. This is the first non-vocational honor I've attempted to answer. All I need to do now to earn this one myself is build the model. How have any of you met this requirement? I'm really interested in feedback on my suggestions for this part, because I have yet to try any of them. I'm a little worried that the cookie dough approach won't work, but I found it so intriguing that I haven't been able to make myself take it out yet. (Hey! The requirement said to be creative!) I think that's the first approach I'll try.

The top level link to the Answer Book is http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book
and I have barely scratced the surface. Please, PLEASE jump in and contribute!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:22 pm 
Master Guide

Quote:
If you would like a second prototype of your circuits built, let me know. I figure if we both build one and they both work then the design is sound.

Hey Todd,
Check out the siren circuit I added to the Radio Electronics Answer section:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Vocational/Radio_Electronics

I had a little time to fiddle with it today and got it working. If you want to try it, I'd appreciate any feedback you can provide. I think the op-amps could be replaced with about any op-amp, but I had an LF412 (dual op-amp) and an LM741 (the old workhorse) on hand, so that's what I used. Same goes for the transistor.

With the addition of a siren circuit, I decided to upgrade Radio Electronics to 100% complete (wikibooks lets you declare completion in 25% increments). I still don't have a pressure sensor circuit, but at this point I'm willing to call this thing a done deal.

I urge the rest of you readers to take a look too. You're the target audience after all. Are the explanations clear?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:03 pm 
Master Guide

I just finished the chapter on Blood and the Body's Defenses. Check it out at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Adventist_Youth_Honors_Answer_Book/Health_and_Science/Blood

I'm still waiting for copyright-unencumbered pictures of five of the seven blood cells, but a pathologist friend of mine has told me he'll get some to me. As soon as I get them, they'll go in the book.

Please have a look, correct any typos you see, and provide some feedback here!

Post subject: Bats!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:43 pm 
Master Guide

The "Bats" and "Bats, Advanced" section sof the online AY Honors Answer wikibook are now complete!

By my count, we now have 14 complete answers, another six that are 75% along, and another 10 that have running starts.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 360 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next