Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Honors-Requirements
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 2:00 pm 
New Friend

Hello,

When you have honor requirements that say "memorize or from memory', do you test them later on the requirement? Or have them learn it then and that's it?

I can understand testing later for Bible verses. For example, the honor Lettering & Postermaking it says 'from memory' write the lower case alphabet. Could they look up a reference to write the letters?

Thanks,
Tiffany Thomas

Post subject: Re: Honors-Requirements
PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 9:15 pm 
Participating Companion

In my club, they usually memorize for that class period only. Sometimes, if the honor is being taught in more than one class period, they'll be asked again the following week, but we don't usually ask them about it continually. The ideal would be to have them be able to recite at any time throughout the year, but it's not what we usually require.

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
New Friend

Thank you for your reply.

I find that I can't remember more that 3-4 knots. I know the kids can remember better than some of us, but its still hard to learn 10 knots and not forget.

On an interesting note, my husband volunteers for the local ambulance as a driver periodically. The other day, He went to an emergency training session on how to rescue someone from a steep hillside/ravine The instructor had them learn 3 knots. A butterfly, double figure eight, and one other one he couldn't remember the name of. The instructor said just learn a few knots and stick with those. He continued with saying trying to learn a bunch of knots doesn't help, you don't remember what they are or what they are used for. I couldn't agree more!

Tiffany Thomas

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 5:57 am 
Master Guide

I guess that makes me a knot geek, as I can tie dozens from memory. But the ones I rely on most are:
  • Trucker's hitch
  • Sheet bend
  • Bowline
  • Tautline hitch

The first of these is a compound knot that is ideal for strapping stuff to the top of a car, or stringing a very tight line between two things so you can throw a tarp over it without it sagging.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 4:24 pm 
Participating Companion

Most requirements that have some aspect of memorization usually refer to Bible verses. If I, myself, were still able to repeat all the Bible verses I learned from the honors I've earned throughout the years from memory, that would be awesome. However, I can't. And if I can't, I wouldn't expect my Pathfinders to be able to either. Some memorization requirements, such as the Knot Tying honor, might just need a refresher every now and then. So again I mention that it is not necessary to be so rigid with memorization requirements as long as Pathfinders are able to complete it for completion of the honor.