Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Prayer Honor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:32 pm 
New Friend

Hi everyone!

I'm scheduled to teach the Prayer honor at a teen camp in a few weeks. I'll be teaching one hour sessions to groups of about 20 teens. They won't earn the entire honor in the session, but I want to trigger their interest and stimulate thought on prayer.

I've read over the honor requirements, and have sat in on sessions others have taught, but these sessions were, in my words... booorrrrring!!!! I'd love to make this honor a memorable learning experience. If you've taught this honor creatively, what have you done to engage the Pathfinders?/

My ideas:

I'm thinking of creating a prayer room with lamps and comfortable chairs, posters on the wall to write responses to some of the questions, and maybe having diverse groupings to break up the teens into paired sharing events. I'm also thinking of creating a graphically appealing PDF of the requirements in a folded booklet they can write in.

I teach Junior Sabbath School, and one project we're working on this quarter is a colorful prayer chain (the kids write things they're sorry for on red paper --with the written side folded in and taped into a circle so no one can read it; things they're thankful for on green paper --taped into a circle; and prayer requests on yellow paper--also taped into a circle). They write out their prayer ideas on the various colors and we add the new circles to the prayer chain each week. I thought I could use the prayer chain idea with the A.C.T.S. segment using a different color for each letter...

Those are just a few of my random ideas... What has worked for you?

Blessings,

Linda
Georgia Cumberland Conference Area Coordinator
NAD

Post subject: Re: Prayer Honor
PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:47 am 
New Friend

Our conference director did this honor at our conference camporee this August. I was kinda dreading it since it did appear boring.

For the first two parts we discussed pray as a group, adults and kids. Then she had someone do the "Lord's Prayer skit". You can find it here if not familiar with it. http://witnessdragon.tripod.com/lordprayerskit.htm

Part 3 we had a crossword.

For part 4, we were divided into 4 groups. There were 4 stations set up with scrabble tiles. The object was to come up with words for each topic and make a word off the root word (Adoration, Confession,Thanksgiving, Supplication). There was a couple paragraphs to read at each station about the topic.

For part 5, we got in groups again. One person read the Prayer chapter and we filled out a worksheet.

Part 6 discussion with whole group, asking about answered prayers. I believe it was very good for the kids to hear about the adults prayers.

For Part 8, small (3"x4") pieces of paper, a pencil and a 6" deflated balloon were passed out. Everyone was to write a prayer request on the paper, fold it up, stuff it in the balloon. Blow up the balloon. All the balloon were gathered in one area. Find another balloon, pop it. This is the person you prayer for for 1-2 weeks.

Part 7 we were told to do for the next month. I would help the kids decide on a missionary, and church leader. Help them focus on who to pray for.

I found the papers we used for the crossword and prayer chapter. I know there are some websites on the internet that help you make crosswords for free. (Here is the one I'm using for the honor I'm currently preparing http://worksheets.theteacherscorner.net ... crossword/ )

PM me your email and I'll send you the images of the worksheets.

Hope this helps.