[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - NEW NAD AY Honors 2008

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NEW NAD AY Honors 2008
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

Greetings,

The Pathfinder Committee approved the following NAD AY Honors, as recommended by the NAD AY Honors Taskforce:

Unicycling (Recreation)
Letterboxing and advanced (kind of like Geocaching) (Recreation)
Gold Prospecting and advanced (Recreation)
Forestry (Vocational)
Model Hot Air Balloons (Arts, Crafts and Hobbies)

Requirements will be available sometime in March. Patches will be potentially available for purchase for the 2009 investiture season.

Mark O'Ffill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:11 pm 
Master Guide

Those sound rather intriguing Mark. I can't wait to lay my eyeballs on the requirements.

Any word on the Softball honor? That was apparently approved in '06, but to my knowledge, the requirements have still not been released. Also, I'd be curious if you knew anything about the Heart and Circulation honor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:43 am 
Helpful Explorer

New Honors - Well done! One more star for NAD!
But you wrote:
- Forestry (Vocational)
Isn't that somewhat unlogically? I would suppose that Forestry ought to be in the group of Outdoor Industry?

Lupus

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:46 pm 
Master Guide

:smt038 These are an exciting list of new honors! I'm especially excited to see the unicycling one. My conference has quite a few pathfinders from many different clubs that like to unicycle. Now it is an honor! :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 am 
Astute Guide

some of them sound unique, and I can't wait to see what the requirements will be!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:57 am 
Master Guide

Thanks for the info. I did a pilot for the Letterboxing so I'm glad it was approved.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:31 pm 
New Friend

This is very cool, my pathfinders are very excited and can't wait to get their Gold Prospecting patches. Now if there was only something like the advanced star or teacher diamond you could get for honors you piloted.

As soon as I find out what the final requirements for the honor are I will add the answers to the online answer book. I would do it now, but I understand the honors committee made a couple of small changes to the requirements. If anyone would like a copy of the requirements and answers that were submitted email me and I can send them to you.

Joe Lee
Director
Roseville Pathfinders

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:43 pm 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:40 am 
Skillful Ranger

I couldn't help but notice that the requirements sheet says this honour is in "recreation", but here and the web site say arts and crafts.

Does anyone know for sure ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:18 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
I'm still looking for the requirements for Forestry. When will they be ready?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:16 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Hi I have just completed the Letterboxing honour as well as Basic Geocaching. The requirements for Letterboxing do NOT want any explanation to what the sport really is all about. In Geocaching it does.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:44 pm 
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:46 pm 
Helpful Explorer

The honour should start with a simple question. Define Letterboxing. Or what is Letterboxing? Needing an answer to describe what the sport is all about.
A sugested answer as follows.
Letterboxing is an entertaining outdoor adventure game for treasure seekers. Participating in a letterbox hunt is a good way to take advantage using the computer to find clues to locations of hidden boxes. The basic idea is to have individuals and organizations set up boxes all over the world and share the locations of these caches on the Internet. Once found, the visitor will then stamp in their log book using the stamp in the box and also using their personal home made stamp, leave an impression in the box's log book. Along the way you can learn history things about local parks and public spaces. This activity can in my opinion can be done on Sabbath afternoons with discression.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:55 pm 
Master Guide

This is what was in the Introduction when I did the Pilot:

Introduction

Letterboxing is a “treasure hunt” style outdoor activity, similar to Geocaching, but without using GPS unit. Letterboxers hide small, weatherproof boxes in publicly-accessible places (like parks or libraries) and post clues to finding the box online on one of the Web sites listed under “Resources”. Individual letterboxes contain a log book and a rubber stamp.
Finders obtain the clues and then take an ink pad, personal stamp and a log book with them. Once the boxes are found, the letterboxers make an imprint of the letterbox's stamp in their personal log book like you would do with a passport. Then they leave an imprint of their personal stamp that they have created in the letterbox's logbook.
To get started, you’ll need a “trail name,” rubber stamp, pencil or pen, small note book, an ink pad, a simple compass, and clues. Although a form of Letterboxing started in England 150 years ago, as we know it today it started in North America in 1998, where there have been over 30,000 letterboxes hidden, although not all are still available. Letterboxes are now found worldwide.
Letterboxing could be done with honors such as Block Printing, Hiking or Geocaching.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:35 pm 
Site Admin

Betsy, I think the challenge is that with the FORMAT of all the AY Honors published is that intro's (that tend to be wordy) do NOT get published in the books or online. The requirements and image/patch design become separate entities from any intro's, answer keys, etc.

I have found three letterboxes by mistake while out geocaching...go figure. One of these days I'll actually finish up the honor I guess??! :)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:31 am 
Master Guide

Then there should be a requirement to have any Intro included as question one (1) in order to have the information before the Honor can be accepted.

By the way, is the Honor/Requirement for Forestry in AdventSource. If not, any idea when?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 5:58 am 
Site Admin

Forestry is not available at AdventSource. I have no idea what the hold-up is. I have sent Brad Forbes and email.

I am working on a "guide" for creating new honors. That is a helpful suggestion.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 6:06 am 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:06 am 
Site Admin

It will be available on the main Pathfindersonline.org website and will be linked to here.