Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Teaching Knots
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:49 am 
Master Guide

How does everyone else coordinate teaching the Knot Tying honor with AY?

First, Friends, Companions, Explorers, and Rangers have to tie 10,15,20, or 25 knots for their AY, and Voyagers and Guides have to teach the Knot Tying honor.

I've tried pairing up the younger kids with the older ones plus staff and get some one-on-one learning/teaching going on, and that seems to work OK-ish. The problem is that some kids learn slower, and some kids teach slower. As the meeting progresses, some kids finish up (and start horsing around), and others don't finish in the alloted time.

Last time we did this, I changed tack, and had the older kids and the staff each teach one knot each, and then had the younger ones rotate through. Except that I failed to control the rotation, so we ended up with three or four kids all trying to learn the bowline from one older kid all at the same time, while other older kids sat on their hands with no students.

I'm thinking I should change this so that we sit in a circle around the room, and take five or ten minutes per knot. Then when the alloted time expires, everyone rotates, finished or not. The obvious advantage to having the older kids teach only one knot is that they can master that fairly quickly with little frustration. Couple that with the fact that not all of them started at Friend, so they didn't learn to tie the knots in Pathfinders way back when. It also allows me to have the less skilled teachers tackle the easier knots.

Although that seems to me to be the most efficient way to get the honor taught, I have not convinced myself that it adequately meets the requirements for the Voyagers & Guides to teach the honor.

What does everyone else do?

Post subject: Re: Teaching Knots
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:32 pm 
Astute Guide

I've experienced the same frustrations as you with the Knot Tying honor. The best way I've ever been involved in was similar to yours: we had stations which the kids rotated through, with each station teaching about 5 knots.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:54 pm 
New Friend

I'm a new PF director so I need help with knot boards. Is the easiest way just glue them on and label them? I did see a club us the boards with little holes and the knot was tied through the holes. Does that make sense? what is best?
Thanks

Carlos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 6:36 am 
Master Guide

That could work. We use hot melt glue to hold them to the boards. I store the knot boards at the church and kids add to their own each year. That way we only have to buy one board per kid, which cuts down the expense.

We have also used those foam presentation boards you see at a science fair. Those work too, but aren't as durable as a wooden board. They are cheaper though.