[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Firefighting Honor

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Firefighting Honor
PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:03 am 
Master Guide

We haven't yet, but the aim is to teach it before the end of the year.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:19 am 
Master Guide

Not yet. But also plan for before end of year.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 7:12 pm 
Master Guide

We didn't make it at the end of the year. :oops: But there is still good news on this front. Our Conference Associate PF Director (who is a volunteer firefighter) has decided to run with this and it will be an important part of our Leadership Training weekend later this month. He is going to present most of the honors to the PF staff (and TLTs) that attend, and then he is going to teach it to our club after that. The hope is that other clubs in our conference will take it home as well, and we will have it piloted by several before the end of the PF year. Since we have his buy-in, he has also agreed to submit it to the NAD.

So... things are happening!

Betsy, did you manage to pilot it in your conference yet?

One bad/really good thing though is that four of my Pathfinders will be baptized at my church during Leadership Training, so I won't be there for all of the Firefighting activities. IMO, the Pathfindery thing I NEED to do that weekend is be there when my Pathfinders make their commitments! It's a three hour drive from Leadership to my church, so I'll be logging some miles that weekend.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:01 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
No worries about not getting it done. The only downside to not getting it done fast is that it can be forgotten. However, I doubt that you two will have that problem. Honestly, I declare them done. However, I'm still not happy with the answers for proximity firefighting gear or wildland firefighting gear. I was really hoping to get some people in those areas to contribute to the answers detailing them with better clarity. I also had somebody design a patch for the Firefighting Honor. I have time yet to come up with further designs for this or the Fire Safety Honor, but I thought I would go ahead and post this one while I was thinking about it.

Last edited by veteranpathfinder on Mon May 10, 2010 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Picture not hosted online anymore.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:39 am 
Master Guide

Nice patch design, but it belongs in the Vocational series, meaning it's going to be red rather than green. That might make it difficult to show the red fire at the end of the hose, but I would imagine something could be done about that.

For fire safety, I figured it might feature a fire extinguisher. I guess that one would go in the Outreach series (alongside Red Alert).

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 4:28 pm 
Astute Guide

That's a good design. Since the background will be red, the fire could be a more yellow orange, but I think it would work fine.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:46 am 
Master Guide

I will pass along the ideas to my Ukrainian director. He's the one who created the design. I'm thinking that the fire will be yellow (maybe orange) with some dark smoke at the top. That would fix the issue with it being in the vocational category. I was also thinking of using a fire extinguisher for the Fire Safety Honor.

Remember that this was a first draft, and so has not been refined yet. I'll get some more time to work with my director over here to make refinements to the design later on.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:09 am 
Master Guide

Due to the holiday it was not possible for the person at the fire station to come. And with the bad weather (snow) they been pretty busy. But looks like it back to normal again. I will stop next week to make the arragement again. I did leave the questions for him to review.

Very nice design for the patch.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:46 pm 
Master Guide

The honor has been partially taught and a little modified at our Leadership Training sessions this weekend. THe purpose of teaching it this weekend was to introduce it to several clubs and get them to pilot it as well. Paul, our conference associate PF director will be coming to my church to teach it to my club either next month or in March.

I wasn't able to attend the sessions at Leadership for a variety of reasons. First, because I was working on my PLA, and this is the first time we've had the seminars here in the Northern New England Conference. Second, because I had to bail Sabbath morning, drive three hours back to my church to be there for the baptism of four of my Pathfinders (hoorays!) But I returned Sunday morning, and my sons both attended the Fire Fighting sessions.

I'll get the modifications out soon, but probably not until it's taught in my club, as we are still in the process of modifying the modifications.

I can say that this honor has been very enthusiastically received in our conference. My youngest son's comments (he's a TLT) was that he thought he would not soon forget the things that he learned in it, unlike many of the other honors. I suggested that we might want to add this requirement:

Collect, draw, or photograph, and identify 15 Fire Fighters found in your local community. :lol:

Thanks again to everyone who worked on this. Paul is having some patches made up for it, so if anyone pilots this, let me know, and I'll see that you get some patches!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:56 am 
Master Guide

I'm certainly interested in the collection idea. I'm not sure about collecting, but drawing or identifying sounds good. Maybe 10 would be a better number, as some departments are surprisingly small.

I'd really like to get my hands on a patch. I'm actually piloting this over here in Ukraine.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:31 pm 
Master Guide

I'll let you know when patches are available. Then you can let me know how many you want and how to get them to you.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:49 am 
Master Guide

Ok. Here is what I came up with for the patches for the two honors:

Fire Safety

Firefighting
Image or Image

They can be viewed in higher resolution .

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:51 am 
Master Guide

I know this is off topic, but why wouldn't the forum let me post the above post using Russian characters? I only used one word (the equivalent of "and"), but I got a huge error message.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:48 am 
Master Guide

Dunno! email me some details and I'll look into it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:27 am 
Master Guide

Ok. I have an updated edition of design for the "Fire Safety Honor." I'll try and post it shortly for all to see. If I forget to post it on the forum, you will almost certainly be able to find it at this link: http://sites.google.com/site/bjgadd/photo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:58 am 
Master Guide

I think these are a little too busy. I would recommend going with the fire extinguisher for Fire Safety, and a fire fighting helmet for Fire Fighting. Of course the problem with just a helmet is that it would be a red foreground with a red background. :-( Maybe having a yellow flame with a red helmet over it would make it stand out better?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:43 am 
Astute Guide

Are the helmets always red? Because it seems like I've seen yellow helmets too.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:54 am 
Master Guide

I've seen yellow and black ones too. But red is the quintessential helmet color!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:52 am 
Master Guide

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:33 am 
Master Guide

Our conference PF director has gotten on board with these. He taught them during our annual leadership training sessions, and he will be teaching them to our club later this month (date still not set though). He is planning to have patches made, but I don't know what they will look like or if he has come up with a design. He's not exactly a beginner at getting patches made either, as we get two per year done for our conference Camporees (one in the spring, one in the fall). However, I think he farms that task out to another person in the conference, so I don't know how much of an active hand he takes in that. It might be good to send him your ideas. Send me an email (with patch attachments) and I'll forward it on to him (and copy you so you guys can exchange ideas without a middle-man).

Hmmm... actually, I think I already did that a while back. December?

He fully intends to submit the honor to the NAD, so I guess that whatever he settles on is what's going into the submission package. I'll be sure to let him know that you had the most active hand in the development of this honor (all I did was give you a nudge). After that, it'll be up to the NAD Honors Committee.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:24 am 
Master Guide

Ok. I'll get that email sent out shortly. I probably lost his email address, so you'll need to sent it to me again.

I have completed an update on the Fire Safety patch idea. How about these?

I personally prefer the bottom one, because an extinguisher doesn't seem to portray it all well enough. If the image doesn't load on the forum, it can be found .

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:18 am 
Master Guide

Here's my latest rough draft on the Firefighting Honor patch. It's supposed to be an axe and hooligan bar behind a traditional helmet. I didn't have success mounting a nice badge like you normally see on the front of those helmets.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm 
Astute Guide

I like that. For the badge on the front, even just a white semi-circle would work I think. I can almost see it, but it's hard to describe in words.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:22 am 
Master Guide

That's an option, one that I will continue to pursue. However, I also have a different design that was given to me by my Ukrainian director. It isn't showing up on the forum, like the others, but can be viewed at the following link:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:27 pm 
Astute Guide

I like that last one. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next