Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:41 pm 
Helpful Explorer

This 2003 UB313 makes diffeculties!
In the website I mentioned above it is said that the definition "plutoids" was made june 11. this year (that's one month ago!), less than two years after Pluto, 2003 UB313 (at the same time given the official name Eris - the Greek goddess of quarrel), and Ceres were defined as dvarf planets.
I thought that Xena, too, was some Greek godess, but I haven't found her anywhere, so Jomegat is probably right, that it is from the film. It definitely was a temporarily and unofficial name.
But the name of the moon, Dysnomia, might be as Jomegat says, a nod the the actress Lucy Lawless, but as a matter of fact, in the Greek mythology Eris had a daughter, Dysnomia, the goddess of lawlessness.
Perhaps a double intention?
And by the way - according to the website, Ceres is still (but for how long?) defined a dvarf planet, so that leaves us with 1 - one - dvarf planet in our solar system.

Lupus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:02 pm 
Master Guide

Yes, I'm sure the double meaning was intentional. Also, I did a little digging, and Pluto and Eris are still considered dwarf planets by the IAU. They are ALSO considered plutoids. These quotes are from the Wikipedia articles on Dwarf Planets and Eris:

Quote:
On 11 June 2008, the IAU Executive Committee announced a name, plutoid, and a definition: all trans-Neptunian dwarf planets are plutoids.

Quote:
Eris is classified as a dwarf planet and trans-Neptunian object (TNO); the intersection of these categorizations makes it a "plutoid"

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:10 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Thanks.
Then all is clear and settled.

Lupus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:04 am 
Master Guide

Woohoo! Looks like the IAU has added a fourth body to the list of dwarf planets! The object formerly known as 2005 FY9, which the discovery team (same one that found Eris) codenamed "Easter Bunny", now has the official name Make-make (pronounced maki-maki). The cool thing about the name "Make-make" is this (from Wikipedia):

Quote:
Prior to making it public, the discovery team referred to it by the codename "Easterbunny". The name "Makemake" is taken from the creator god of the people of Easter Island. For the purposes of proceeding through naming procedures, the IAU will treat it as a plutoid.

Get it? Easter Island? Easter Bunny?

Make-make has a diameter of 1600 km, and there are at least two other bodies out there that are larger:
  • 2003EL61, the previously mentioned "Santa" - still no official name. 2000 km.
  • Sedna, at 1800 km.
This makes me wonder when the IAU will add those two bodies to the list of dwarf planets.

This is an exciting time to study the Solar System indeed!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:35 am 
Master Guide

jomegat wrote:

This makes me wonder when the IAU will add those two bodies to the list of dwarf planets.

This is an exciting time to study the Solar System indeed!

Exciting indeed since the answers will be different almost immediately.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:20 am 
Master Guide

That's why I suggested that the honor not require you to name them all. As written, I think the requirement should last a long time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 am 
Master Guide

Zed wrote:

Oh here's requriement seven.
7. Do one of the following:
a. Make a detailed model of an asteroid.
b. Draw a picture of an asteroid and a comet.
c. Make a detailed model of a comet.

Zed,

I forgot to ask. This requirement 7 if for the regular or for the advanced?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:33 am 
New Friend

That looks like a fun honor!

Of course, if they hadn't "changed" Pluto, there wouldn't be all this mess of plutoids and dwarf planets and such. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:57 am 
Master Guide

IMHO, if they hadn't "changed" Pluto, we'd be in for a bigger mess. We'd now have 13 planets, with more to come. If Pluto counts as a planet, then Eris, Ceres, Makemake, and now Haumea (added last week to the list of Dwarf Planets) would also have to be called planets. But they are clearly different from the other 8. I like to think the IAU is making life easier for elementary school science. Curricula are unlikely to have kids name all the dwarf planets, because it promises to be a very large class. I'm sure they'll still have kids memorize the first eight though (and since 8<9, it got easier).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:09 am 
Helpful Explorer

What ever happened to this New honor?
I believe I once saw it was accepted by the NAD, but I do not find it now when I would like to use til teach it to Our Group.
Does anybody know somthing?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:47 pm 
Master Guide

I don't know if it was ever submitted to the NAD for approval. But I'm certain the NAD did not approve it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:12 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Hi. You may already have corrected the advanced Q13. In the note on it, it asks that one of the 4 choices in Q14 need to be done in the last 6 months.
It should be Q13 not Q14 in the note and there are more than 4 choices.

Looking forward to the honour being published.
Advanced Q13 could also include for a choice. To visit an observatory. Some museums have a small club operated observatory or they may be a real big one close by with big telescopes.

Would like to pilot the honour but am reluctant to as My club years ago piloted the Estuary Honour, sent it away to conference for marking etc but the honour progress must have stalled. Ended up making my own paper honour tokens to give to the kids.

Fiordland wanderer
Invercargill
Home of the Fastest Indian

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:45 pm 
Participating Companion

This honor seems to have a lot of overlap with the Stars and new Meteorites honor. Also, the name «Solar Systems» would not be correct. Solar System is actually a proper noun for our star system. Star systems (or stellar systems) is the correct name for our system and any extrasolar system. Just as the name of our planet, star, and natural satellite is Terra, Sol, and Luna throughout the scientific community. In English, they would be known as Earth, Sun, and Moon.

If this honor should ever come before the committee for review, it should be named correctly as Star Systems, unless it is talking specifically about the Solar System.