Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:47 am 
Participating Companion

Changed it. This is the first draft for Solar Systems and Advanced. :)

Solar Systems

1. What is a Solar System?

2. What are each of the following:
a. Planet
b. Dwarf planet
c. Moon
d. Asteroid
e. Meteorite
f. Comet
g. Meteoroid
h. Meteor
i. Crater
j. Shooting star
k. Main belt
l. Coma

3. Define each of the following terms:
a. Find
b. Fall
c. Bolide
d. Orbit
e. Apsis
f. Astronomical unit

4. When is the earliest recorded observation of a comet? Which comet was observed then?

5. Answer the following questions about the Moon:
a. How does the same side of the Moon always face Earth?
b. Why does the Moon appear as if it changes shape?
c. How long does it take the Moon to completely orbit Earth?
d. How far away from Earth is the Moon?
e. Why is the Moon sometimes visible during the day?
f. How does the Moon effect the tide?
g. Who was the first man to walk on the Moon?

6. Where is the largest mountain in the Solar System? What is it called? How tall is it?

7. How many planets are in our Solar System? Identify each planet from a picture and memorize in order from the sun the planets in the Solar System.

8. Which planets are visible with the naked eye? Why are they visible with the naked eye? What time of the year are they visible? Observe at least two planets in the sky at least one of them must be without the aid of a telescope.

9. Which moon is the largest in the Solar System? Which planet does it orbit? How long is its year?

10. How far away from earth is the main belt? What is the composition of the asteroids and meteoroids in the main belt? Which two planets does the main belt orbit between?

11. Distinguish from pictures the visible differences between asteroids, comets, and planets.

12. Locate and read the story in the Bible where God rains down fire and brimstone from the heavens. Why did God call down fire and brimstone from the heaves?

Honor Category: Nature Skill Level 1

Solar Systems, Advanced

1. Have the Solar Systems Honor

2. What are each of the following:
a. Natural satellite
b. Tektite
c. Oort cloud
d. Scattered disk
e. Kuiper belt
f. Eclipse
g. Solar Wind
h. Extrosolar Planet
i. Jovian Planet
j. Terrestrial Planet
k. Regolith
l. Centaur

3. Define each of the following terms:
a. Aphelion
b. Perihelion
c. Elliptical orbit
d. Trans-Neptunian
e. Kirkwood gap
f. Circular orbit
g. Hydrostatic equilibrium
h. Orbital eccentricity

4. Name three dwarf planets and describe their size, composition, number of satellites, and orbits.

5. How many different kinds of meteorites are there? Name the different kinds of meteorites and what their basic composition is from memory.

6. What is the most common kind of meteorite? Which kind of meteorite is the least common?

7. Name three comets. When did they last appear? How long does it take them to complete their orbit? How close did their orbit take them to Earth last time they appeared?

8. Explain in detail what a comets tail is composed of and what causes it to form. Also, name and point out all the different parts of a comet.

9. Which planet has the longest year? How long is the planets year? How long are the planets days?

10. What is the heliosphere? How far away from the sun is it? Name the parts of the heliosphere and describe its structure.

11. Draw a picture of the Moon, an asteroid, a comet, and a planet of your choice.

12. Find at least three verses in the Bible that refer to the Moon. Memorize one of them.

13. Do one of the following:
a. Visit a museum that has a meteorite on display and if it is allowed feel the meteorite..
b. Observe a comet with or without the use of a telescope.
c. Visit a museum that has a model of the Solar System on display.
d. Take a trip to a meteorite crater.
e. Observe a meteor shower.
Note: If you completed one of the four choices for requirement 14 prior to starting this honor it must have been within the last six months. If it was not within the last six months you must complete it again after starting the honor.

Honor Category: Nature Skill Level 2

Last edited by Zed on Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:18 pm, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:53 am 
Superlative Voyager

wow look great! i would totally wanna get that honor. In seven, maybe you could say, like, identify from pictures or drawing the items listed in question 1?? dunno.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:10 pm 
Participating Companion

I was thinking of doing that at first but it wouldn't really work with some of them. After I think of something to put there I'll have to show the updated version to my club director some time. :D :) :D If you think of anything let me know please btw.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:43 pm 
Astute Guide

That looks like a really cool honor! Good job so far!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:45 pm 
Helpful Explorer

This might be hard, but cool. Why not, make a model of somthing from A.-F. from question 1?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:37 pm 
Participating Companion

snowboardbug wrote:
This might be hard, but cool. Why not, make a model of somthing from A.-F. from question 1?
Yeah requirement 12 would not be a do at home thing. (unless there is a meteor shower in your backyard lol) Think I should change that one?
Hmmm I suppose the model thing could work but it would have to be either A, E or D though. Since a coma is the gases envelope of a comet, you can't make a model of a meteor, and a meteoroid is just a small asteroid. Thanks for the input. :) :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:20 am 
Master Guide

Quote:
Zed wrote:
Hmmm I suppose the model thing could work but it would have to be either A, E or D though.

And if you ask to do that, then remember to include the cost per person.

Also, how about for the advance Honor :?: :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:06 am 
Participating Companion

I was trying to make an advanced honor but I can't seem to find enough to make one.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:14 am 
Master Guide

A question on requirement 12. Do they need to write a report on it? If so, it need to be specified.

Time of completion could be 2 days since they select to do the field trip, unless the honor in plan in advanced

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:21 pm 
Participating Companion

I thought about making them write a report but I don't like writing reports for an honor so I decided not to. Oh and 2 days sounds about right for completion.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:29 pm 
Master Guide

I don't think you're the only one. A lot of kids will be happy about it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:36 pm 
Participating Companion

I'm sure they will. :D Lol there are actually two honors I would have if I hadn't been to lazy to write the report. :? :?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:54 pm 
Master Guide

Now, that is too funny LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:56 pm 
Participating Companion

betsyc wrote:
Now, that is too funny LOL

Not particularly.

Oh here's requriement seven.
7. Do one of the following:
a. Make a detailed model of an asteroid.
b. Draw a picture of an asteroid and a comet.
c. Make a detailed model of a comet.

Last edited by Zed on Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:39 pm 
Superlative Voyager

that sounds cool!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:59 pm 
Participating Companion

Thanks :) :) Not much more I can add to it so I'll show it to my club director next time I see her. (let's see this should be at least the 6th or so honor my club has made lol) :D

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:31 am 
Master Guide

Yes, that's a good one for requirement 7. Let us know then when will be ready for pilot.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:16 pm 
Participating Companion

Just redid the honor today so I'll be working on it for a while still. If you have any suggestions post them here please.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:05 pm 
Master Guide

I really like these honors, and would be delighted to pilot them for you. I'm also glad you liked my suggestions. I can't wait to teach these!

As for the meteor shower in your backyard - that happens on a fairy regular basis. If you don't have too many street lights around and you have a clear view of the sky, you should be able to see some if you go out at the right time (that is, during the Leonids or the Perseids, etc). These showers are so regular in fact, that you can plan ahead when to look for them. Wikipedia has a list of the "famous" ones here. If the weather cooperates that is.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:17 pm 
Participating Companion

Yeah I know they happen fairly regularly that's why I made that one of the options. I'll tell my club director you want to pilot them when I show her them. (which will be after I finish them)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:36 am 
Master Guide

And include me too to pilot it. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:09 am 
Astute Guide

I love the looks of these! I also would love to pilot this honor if you ever have the need

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:43 am 
Helpful Explorer

1b. Dwarf planet
4. Name three dwarf planets and describe their size, composition, number of satellites, and orbits.
These are the requirements from the solar system honor, basic (1b) and the advanced honor (4).
I don't think our solar system has as much as three dvarf planets any more - if it has any at all!
Pluto and Xena are no longer defined as dvarf planets - the are called plutoides!
I read this this week in the newest astronomy magasin here in Norway, and the article referred to the following webaddress as the source: http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/0 ... anets.html.
The international Astrnomic Union has redefined. The former dvarfplanets outside Neptun shall be called plutoides, and the criteria for being a plutoid is: 1. a heavenly body orbitting our sun outside Neotun. 2. enough mass (and thus gravitation) to maintain a spherical form, and 3. small enough not to having cleaned the neigborhood for other bodies.
As far as I can understand this leaves Ceres - one of the asteroids orbitting between Mars and Jupiter - as the only dvarf planets in our solar system, since it was classified as a dvarf planet two years ago, when this definition was introduced and Pluto was "reduced" from a planet to a dvarf planet, and definitely does not fullfill the criteria to be called a plutoid, since it is not orbitting the Sun outside of Neptun.
So even before this honor has been piloted it has to be changed! Such things happens!

Lupus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:07 am 
Helpful Explorer

Sorry, I was not updated either.
The two named plutoids are Pluto and Eris - not Xena!
Xena was one suggestion as a name for this object, but it was finally called Eris. Both names are ancient gods from the Greek mythology - but as for the planets it is usually the Latin names that are used - not the Greek. And the planets have names after the important Greek gods, the asteroids (f.i. Ceres) and plutoids are named after smaller gods.
And Eris must be said to be a good name for this object. The goddess Eris - the sister of Ares, the Greek god for war, was known as the goddess of quarreling and disagreement!
She even has a word, eristic, as a rememberance of her - it describes the art of unsincere discussion!
Well, we'll have to wait and see where the discussion of dvarf planets and plutoids ends, won't wee

Lupus

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:12 pm 
Master Guide

I was under the impression that Eris and Pluto were still classified as dwarf planets in addition to receiving the new "Plutoid" classification as well. I could be mistaken though.

Eris was called Xena by its discovery team as a temporary measure. They never intended to name it Xena. They were not able to give it an official name until the IAU decided its status: planet? not a planet? If it had been named a planet, the name would have to have been drawn from Greco-Roman mythology. If it was just another Trans-Neptunian Object (TNO), it would have been named after a god of the underworld.

It's "official" temporary name was UB313, but that's a mouthful - so the normal practice is for the team to come up with an easier temporary name (other temporary names include Santa Claus and its moon Rudolph).

They also discovered a moon orbiting Eris, and the name they choose for that was Dysnomia, the god of lawlessness. That was a nod to its former name "Xena" because the character Xena was played by Lucy Lawless.

As Lupus said, the name Eris was also very fitting, as she was the goddess of discord. The discovery of Eris caused a LOT of discord in the astronomical community, as they argued over the scientific definition of a planet. The term "planet" actually predates modern science, so until the discovery of Eris, there was NO scientific definition. When they did formalize the definition, Pluto no longer fit the mold, so it was reclassified as a dwarf planet (and later, a Plutoid).