Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 3 D Printing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 pm 
Participating Companion

Since coming to the Alaska bush I have made some cool things with the 3 D printer at the Boys & Girls club. I think it would be a cool honor but I have no way to pilot an honor here.

Post subject: Re: 3 D Printing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 8:14 pm 
Master Guide

I've been thinking 3D printing would make a good honor too, but I don't have access to one. They should become more and more common soon.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:31 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Would working on some things like a CNC Mill be similar?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:07 am 
Participating Companion

You could probably pilot the honor through the use of this forum. I believe it's been done so in the past. If you post the requirements you have come up with and ask for volunteers, there might be some directors and clubs willing to pilot the honor for you. 3D printing does seem like an interesting possibility for an honor ...

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:05 pm 
Master Guide

Hey VPF - Yes, a CNC is very similar to a 3D printer. 3D printers are additive (in that they add material until they have built up the object) while CNC's are subtractive (in that they remove material from a block until they have subtracted it down to the object).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:57 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
It would seem as though the two could easily be combined to create a fascinating honor.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:26 pm 
Master Guide

I think the name would be 3D Fabrication.

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:43 pm 
New Friend

I do have a 3d printer, I am willing to pilot this honor.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:53 pm 
New Friend

I have been working on a 3D Printing honor as well as a disc golf honor. I just came across this thread and wondered how far you all have gotten and if we could all collaborate. I know it is really out there but I was going to include the printing of your own patch as the final requirement. I have the blank patch designed and ready to print complete with stitching holes but have not come up with a cool non-brand design to have as a relief image in the "patch". I do also believe there is plenty of learning to be done without combining the equally complex art of milling. The two should for sure be kept separate as they are nothing like each other beyond the use of a 3D design environment (the use of 3 axis positioning)
Something else to think about is the cost of each piece of equipment. If a club is lucky enough to get access to one or the other, I would not feal to great about making them also find and expend resources on more equipment. (This is why the welding honor is so hard to provide, most people have one type of welder if any). Does that make sense? Maybe a club could get access to a 3d Printer or a CNC but not likely both. We are lucky here in Idaho to have several 3D Printers at several of our libraries. I only know of one person that has CNC equipment and it is very heavy and would require us to take the kids to it. After travel time there and back, is no meeting time left to use the equipment. (Just our case here.)

Oh, I am such a dink. I should also say that I am the directer of the Golden Eagle Club in Eagle, ID. where are you all at? Thought I saw Alaska? (Side note for you Alaska folks. Hope to see you at Camporee In Twin Falls, ID this fall. We are hosting clubs if you can just get here.)

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 am 
New Friend

I am in the middle of Georgia. Do you have a rough draft of your 3d printing honor?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:06 pm 
New Friend

jamey_fields,

Here is a link showing a first and second attempt. (Thought I had a shot of the final) The first attempt was paused one layer too soon and has a single layer of white over the red making it pink. :( the second attempt is inverted but paused at the correct layer. We are very close to having the requirements drafted. They are too much at this point and will need to be divided into two for the advanced honor. Like us on Facebook for most up to date info as available. The Idaho Conf. has given us the ok to pilot the honor and we are doing so now.

https://www.facebook.com/goldeneaglepat ... =3&theater

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:12 pm 
New Friend

jamey_fields wrote:
I do have a 3d printer, I am willing to pilot this honor.

Lets do this. The pilot is going very well over here. I am going to set up a shared file on google documents and would love your input to get this finalized and also would love to have you as part of our pilot program on this honor. I will try to pm you my info.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:51 am 
Participating Companion

Those images look really amazing! Even though the Idaho Conference has given you the green light to pilot the honor, it will not be available worldwide, or even in the North American Division unless you go through the NAD approval process. I would really like to see something like this made available to all outside of Idaho as well.

This is the link for instructions on how to submit the proposal to the NAD committee. It must be submitted before October to be considered for that year: http://www.pathfindersonline.org/honors ... submission

Check it out and let us know of your progress!