Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Training for PLA and PIA
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:23 am 
Astute Guide

What training methods does your Conference use to meet the PLA and PIA requirements? :smt017 :smt017
Do you do group training or is everyone on their own?

Mr. Mike

Post subject: NCC's way
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 12:36 am 
Site Admin

We've just started doing PLA training in Northern California Conf. this past autumn.

Currently, my wife and I are the only PLA's in the conference, and we're working on PIA currently. (there's also one PIA that just imported from Texas conference)

We're in charge of doing a three year seminar course at the Staff Convention to get the 22 hrs. of "classroom" instruction done.

We use Powerpoint, interactive activities, small group instruction, and of course discussion. 8)

It's a lot of fun actually. . . . :D

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2005 8:41 am 
Astute Guide

The ARKLA PAC has set up a schedule for one of the tracks taught during our annual Leadership Training.
One year we do the Master Guide classwork, the next two years we do PLA classwork.
I have taught classes for several years now and enjoy sharing the information and helping our Pathfinder leaders grow.
Got to invest a PLA at Faith on Fire. :smt041 :smt041
My job allowed me to received a lot of relavent training and I do pesentations all the time, resulting in some of the PIA requirements being met at work.
Finished my PIA almost two years ago.

Mr. Mike
ARKLA Pathfinder/Adventurer Council (PAC)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 10:39 pm 
Site Admin

Do you have any creative elements that you've done with PLA Training? I've used a Powerpoint based presentation so far, but would love some ideas on good discussion starters, mixers, group learning ideas etc. that any of you have seen work.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: Question
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 3:16 pm 
Participating Companion

Its interesting, i have completed my PLA and i am currently working on my PIA; do you know of any good websites to get information on any of these programs?

Post subject: Websites
PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 10:16 pm 
Site Admin

There aren't any directly geared that direction YET.

The PLA and PIA Instructors Guide (available form AdventSource) see the best easy to access info guide. I haven't looked at the PIA reqs. carefully recently, so not remembering off hand any specific websites for specific Q's.

Ask specific req. questions and I'm sure this board can help. :D

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: PLA track
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:47 pm 
We just finished to teach seminars on CPR, MG and PLA this past weekend and we had a great time :D . We normally have group training, but from time to time we have one or two do-it-yourself. Currently we have a group of 20 Master Guides in the Dallas/East Texas Area taking the PLA track.

Since PLA (PIA will be covered next year) has a lot of material to cover we have divided the material in 3 weekends and we went over the hours suggested for each section. Our first week was in November last year and we cover section A - Administration and Human Relations – 8 hrs, and this weekend we cover Camp Planning and Programming – 2 hrs, Pathfinder and Community Ministry – 3hrs, Resources Materials – 2 hrs, and Drill and Pathfinder Ceremonies – 2hrs. We have programmed the last weekend in June to cover the last part.

We have used Pastors and Instructors to cover the requirements and most of them have used power point material, interactive activities and handouts. The material in the manual for each track is very good, but we are in the process of create a “resource” website that will have PPT presentations and other material that will help PLA’s and PIA’s to cover the requirements in deep. If you want to help us build that website send us your material, it will be greatly appreciated.

Have a great day!!!!

Alfredo Lopez
Dallas East Texas Master Guides Area Coordinator
http://www.masterguides.org

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:48 am 
Astute Guide

I will have to look up my PowerPoint presentations used for PLA training. I have taught a couple of sections and I think still have the files.
They might need some work to put them in the format you are using.

I think it would be great to have the source material on-line.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Hi again
PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:41 pm 
Participating Companion

I love this PLA/PIA Section, these powerpoint docuements you are speaking about for the training of the leaders can any of you share some with us, via email just to see how you structure your documents

Thanks in advance
Moses

Post subject: PIA Requirements
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:07 am 
Participating Companion

i have a few questions about the PIA Class requirements, i am not sure if any one can help me jus clarify some of these things

The requirement that says:
Prepare a Pathfinder article for publication

Can any one who has done the requirement give me some feedback as to what publications you did, as well as where it was published, just to have an idea of the requirement.

The other requirement that says:
Prepare an outline or script, including visual aids and instruction/curriculum materials, for a presentation.

Again give me some feedback on creative ways in which this requirement was done.

I am one of the first persons to be doing this programme here so i definitely need some help in terms of how these requirements were completed.

Thanks again
I love this forum
Keep it going

Last edited by mozez on Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 8:11 am 
Astute Guide

The article for publication is usually submitted to the Union level magazine.
This is not to say you could not submit an article to the Review.
Submission is not a guarantee of publication.

The presentation visual aid and insturctions would be used to teach an honor or better yet a section of the MG or PLA course.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:21 pm 
Site Admin

Remember that the requirement says "PREPARE and article for publication. It does not say it has to be published in order to get the requirement.

Also, ways I've done/seen done for presentation with visuals:

posters or the large paper pad with pictures/diagrams predrawn work well. I've taught several honors with 16" x 22" posters with the Nature ID pictures or diagrams, etc. attached. It's realtively easy to prepare and kinda fun for the students.

Something I've also done more recently is Powerpoint based presentations, especially when it comes to stuff that the kids need to take notes on. I include lots of relevant pictures that I get from the internet, and I simply take my laptop to Pathfinders with me. Just remember to make the TEXT big enough to be read from a distance. FOr example, many laptops have 14"-15" screens. This means your font size should be at least 36. This simply means you have LOTS of slides. That's okay!

Hope these ideas spark further ideas/ways others have done it.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: PLA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:26 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I've been working on the PLA for about 6 years now, not steady of course, but I am in a small conference and there isn't training here for us, unless something else that is offered also qualifies. So Basically we are on our own. I would be very interested in your power point presentations if you still have them, or even discussions here of some of the topic, especially if that could be used to get some of the requirements signed off.
Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:34 pm 
Participating Companion

Do you think it is time for the NAD or GC to develop online classes for advance pathfinder training i.e. MG, PIA, PLA, AY2Y & AYL? most persons seem too busy to attend training camps and go to training programs, so maybe its time for us to consider that type of training.

"What is a pathfinder?
A Pathfinder is not a what
It's a way of life!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:05 am 
Superlative Voyager

I would love online courses, the other problem with training events is the cost and distance, 'course time limitations are in effect, but i would try to make time, this is important to me.
Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 1:18 pm 
Master Guide

Okay, so now that you would like online training. I think it is a good idea and would be interested in exploring it further.

What that means is for those with a mind lets hear about which items you might like to see online first and how you would like the classes to be moderated or proctored.

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject: PLA online classes
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 5:49 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Looking over the requirements, most of which require attending seminars, it would be helpful to have seminar content, or written seminars with topic discussion boards or even online chats for discussion.

(I'm typing of the top of my head, but I wanted to respond to this beofre I get caught up in bedtime routines and forget about ti)

Most of the seminar content is is the PLA curriculum book, so if we purchase the book, we would just need to have a discussion with others and someone to determine from our contribution to the discussion whether nor not we understand that content.

Each section would need it's own discussion, and discussions could be live online chats with a moderator or proctor.

Those wishing to prove completeion of a section or reqirement could send a self-addressed stamped envelope to the proctor, who would return to them a small certificate stating the requirements completed online.

I have, I believe, completed the requirements in the last 6 years that I have been working on this, through books that I have read, and classes that I have taken, leadershops and workshops that I have attended, however, they were not intended for the PLA and I have no one to sign me off, if these types of discussions were allowed, I could soon be invested.

Ok, these are my thoughts, and they probably need much refinement in order to make them workable. I can't wait to see what others ideas are and am excited to think I may actually be able to finish.

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:51 pm 
Master Guide

This is a good response Chelly. Let me think this over a bit and hopefully hear from some others as well. It may not be a surprise that both the PLA and PIA Instructor's Manuals are within arms reach of my desk here in my office library. I have just glanced over the requirements again today and have a budding idea for how to get all of you some online training who would like the opportunity. As I formulate the idea more I will contact some others that I would need to collabarate with on this effort, in time it is possible that if my counter Executive here at XYRI and certian others are of a mind to agree the XYRI chatroom and site may be able to host such training.

Keep the ideas comming, this is a very important part for an idea so young.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:23 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I think that online discussion/training for PLA PIA is a great idea/input! I would definatly be interested as there are really no areas here where we can train in our club. Beings that I'm almost done with MG, I'll be rarin to go at the new class!

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:37 pm 
Site Admin

If we provided a spot(s) on the forum where each main idea was being addressed, then set up guidelines for "involvement" would that help?

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 9:41 pm 
Master Guide

How do the guidelines work? A seminar (or better an educational discussion) has to have outline, structure and lecture to keep it on track. At least, I suppose, the topics would need to be carefully moderated.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:04 am 
Astute Guide

Had a training session at work yesterday about leadership.
The book Listen Up Leader was used as a resource.
The book could be used for PLA and TLT training.
It starts out with Character as the first thing a leader needs.
Amazon.com carries the book for under $10.00.
Local book stores may also carry it.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 4:53 pm 
Master Guide

I think those few of us who have commented here believe in the usefulness of this idea. We need more input to make this a reality so I hope some ideas will come from those of us at this forum on what your needs are and how you would be best served from an online format.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
XYRI

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:00 am 
Participating Companion

how should this idea be developed further? i am no expert in on line training but i have done some web based training. So far the individuals that have posted have added some important points. if this were to be adopted however there must b practical training done either in the local conference/field or maybe in some sought of simulated environment using Java or flash, for example camping outdoors including various simulations.

"What is a pathfinder?
A Pathfinder is not a what
It's a way of life!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 1:27 pm 
Superlative Voyager

The requirements in question are under Section II- New Skills Developement- Requirement 1 and are in fact the need to spend a required number of hours in seminars for each topic. The number of hours needed per topic is 1-3, as stated. Even for out door education there is no practicum requirement only a 2 hour seminar. The remainder of the requirements are things that are in particpation with an active club or actually using what was learned in the various seminars.

I believe that we only need the seminar hours covered here, the rest would we would be on our own within our clubs. I was once told that all the seminar information was included in the curriculum binders that you can purchase, but would need to find a Master Guide to discuss the various tracts with to be signed off. Well, I have read the entire resource book, but do not have access to another Master Guide with which to have these discussions.

I'm wondering, is there anyone on this forum that has been invested with the PLA or PIA, and what they think compared to they way they completed the requirements if a discussion forum would be acceptable.

Also if there is anything I can do to help get this project off the ground, I am happy to help

Chelly