It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No PLA and PIA Class
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 7:51 am 
New Friend

hi there

i'm new here
i'm a Master Guide about 4 years, i have a question to other MG
1. There is possible making a PLA/PIA class, if conference or Area doesn't have any PLA/APLA hold?
2. If there possible, who will be a Instructors?
3. Are we must visiting other conference to follow this class?
4. How can we start that class?

thank for your answer

GOD Bless you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:33 pm 
Master Guide

Welcome The Path,

The answers to your questions depend a bit on where you are. The reason is that not all areas operate under the same guidelines. Those who first completed the PLA and PIA were not taught by others who had, a person who is competent to teach a particular area could lead out in that area of study while others may lead out in other areas.

The instructors will need the approval of the Conference Pathfinder or Youth Director to teach the class they teach so it is an "official class." Other alternatives that exist are to take college seminars in particular areas of study or possibly children's ministries seminars if available in your area.

Some of us are currently working on an online PLA training program targeted at the NAD but may be accepted in other divisions or conferences if acceptable to their leadership.

In some cases it may be needed to visit classes in other conferences, however; most areas have people with the needed skills to cover part or all of the material if the conference will simply endorse the effort. You may also be able to have someone from a nearby conference visit your group simply by inviting them. The best time is during a weekend leadership conference that can be planned if your conference is not in the habit of having one.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 8:57 am 
New Friend

Hallo fish

thanks for your respons, sorry for late to reply
i'm from another Division, some country in Asia.
I know NAD Pathfinder had been great Pathfinder Club. and i need a help.
in my country there's no PLA/PIA holded, and we have a new SSD Youth Director as new elected. i have vision to making pathfinder and Master Guide active well like NAD. I glad find this web.
Sorry than, you respons not copletely answering my quetions. could you give me answer more spesific.
for visiting is imposible to visit other conference, couse there is same cases here. and teher need a lot of cost.
for guidelines. we had it from General Pathfinder Guide book/Leadership tools. i think we have same book. its right?
and, can we study by email (sending by email groups) or not have direct conference meeting or seminar?

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 7:57 pm 
Master Guide

I had not heard that SSD has elected a new Youth Director, I was reading many items and updates in the church. Maybe I just forgot; is Hiskiah Missah the new director or the outgoing director?

Are you a conference director? You sound very interested and hard working, God Bless your enthusiam and effort. I know SSD is mostly islands and very rural countries, I hope we can find some solutions for you.

The PLA and APLA books located here: http://youth.gc.adventist.org/pathfinde ... t_home.htm are the only complete ones online. They are not identical to the NAD versions but they are good and will work for you.

This is my opinion and what I believe would be appropriate in the case of your conference and entire division. This will require the approval of your Conference Pathfinder or Youth Director if you are not it.

1. You can use the PLA and APLA Manuals found above as your sole study material.

2. You should use the internet as a tool for researching updates on the matters of study. Using this method you and others will prepare brief statements for your research demonstrating what you have learned.

3. You must participate in discussion on these items. An email ring of fellow students or a forum like this one will be suitable for this. Discussion is important to answer questions and demonstrate understanding.

4. You must have someone of competence from somewhere in the world watching over the progress and signing off on it. This is most important to see to it that questions are answered properly in the end and that understandings are not confused. There should be a teacher in any classroom wether physical or virtual.

5. That competent teacher should sign off in some email or mail fashion on your progress through each step of the study.

This means you should not need a direct conference seminar or face to face meeting to learn these items. As to a person of competence this means a generally competent person such as a qualified youth director or PLA or APLA somewhere in the world.

This is not the current standard for the NAD but some of us are working on an independant study program for PLA. It is still in the early stages of its infancy. If you can build a group from around your division who have a common language then the method of group study by computer should be the most effective way for you to do this.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:35 am 
New Friend

Thanks for your respons Fish

I'm not Confrence Sirector. I'm just Church Director, but i'm a Pathfinder coordinator area for my area in confrence.

thank you for answering my quetions. its very clear
I hope i can open thats class ASAP.
i like too open this class couse i looking all MG in my conference had a boring time, they dont have activitie for them self. they just teaching Pathfinders
ok

but i'm still need your help in future if a need any questions, do you like?

how about we satarting in my area? ist possible?

regards

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 5:44 am 
New Friend

ups almost forget
can i joint to all topic? just to giving question or opinion

thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:40 pm 
Master Guide

For your last question yes, join in on any topic you wish - please.

I will help in anyway I can as will this entire forum I am sure. I am out of town from about an hour away until next week so... I will email you what I have promised.

I hope you are successfull soon.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject: Any suggestion?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:34 pm 
New Friend

We would like also to start our own PLA/PIA here on campus of AUP [Adventist University of the Philippines] under SSD. However, we don't have PLA/PIA holder to handle this club. There is one available but not a member of our church.

Inquiries:

1. Can he/she still become a director of PLA/PIA though he/she is not a member of the church?
2. Or, what will be his/her contribution to realize our intention?
3. Can he/she function as a director of the club as a missionary?

Thanks everyone for the reply. We are very much interested to acquire this level of training! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:22 pm 
Master Guide

As a rule these are questions answered by your church board. The Administrative Director often enjoys the privilege of having power to appoint sub level directors or to appoint them with board conformation. If a person is not an adventist or not a member of your church the church board would then consider them carefully and a vote be taken including all Elders.

If they choose so then a person can serve in such a capacity and as a missionary who became a PLA or PIA in another division, that should be no issue. There is minor variation in PLA or PIA criteria in certain areas and so long as your selected leader will affirm to use your division,s standards and will be accepted as an instructor by your conference you are set.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 7:49 am 
New Friend

Thanks a lot, Fish. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:09 pm 
New Friend

The main thing is to work with your conference, mission or union in developing the classes to train your Pathfinder and Adventurer leaders. We are a world church but each area may have different requirements to meet their specifice culture and need.

Post subject: Re: No PLA and PIA Class
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:51 am 
Participating Companion

fish wrote:

The instructors will need the approval of the Conference Pathfinder or Youth Director to teach the class they teach so it is an "official class." Other alternatives that exist are to take college seminars in particular areas of study or possibly children's ministries seminars if available in your area.

Some of us are currently working on an online PLA training program targeted at the NAD but may be accepted in other divisions or conferences if acceptable to their leadership.

I just like to ask question regarding the online PLA training program, that I've posted in viewtopic.php?f=17&t=88&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=50:

1. Is there an online PLA/APLA trainig?
2. If there is, can I join also? I'm from the Philippines

I've followed already the manual from the GC PLA manual and I have complied most of the requirements. Who will be the most appropriate person that I can ask if I will be invested.

Thanks very much,

Ric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:59 am 
Participating Companion

JBi wrote:
We would like also to start our own PLA/PIA here on campus of AUP [Adventist University of the Philippines] under SSD. However, we don't have PLA/PIA holder to handle this club. There is one available but not a member of our church.

Inquiries:

1. Can he/she still become a director of PLA/PIA though he/she is not a member of the church?

2. Or, what will be his/her contribution to realize our intention?

3. Can he/she function as a director of the club as a missionary?

Thanks everyone for the reply. We are very much interested to acquire this level of training! :D

Hi JBi!

Can I ask you? Are you the one, which was invested last 2006 in AUP as posted in your website?

Last edited by labutakti on Sat Oct 25, 2008 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2008 6:59 pm 
Master Guide

By "not a member," do you mean he's not a member of your local church, or not a Seventh-day Adventist?

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:40 pm 
Master Guide

We never did get the online training launched those many moons ago. I went full force for a time and then could not put together enough interest to make it happen. In deed the original author of this topic seemed to vanish as I wrote a response, may God have protected him where ever he is.

Time has passed and summer is again upon us maybe I can see what will boil up, never know what God has in mind without asking.

Chris Fishell
XYRI

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:12 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Hey all,

Here's a question for you..

At Oshkosh, will there be any formal PLA training? I'm now officially working on that class and would like to know what, if anything, will be available...

See you at Oshkosh!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:17 pm 
Master Guide

Yes! Details are in the July 31 Camporee Newsletter.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:06 am 
Master Guide

I thought that the training was for Master Guide

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:56 am 
Master Guide

They are offering MG classes and PLA classes too. Here's the schedule (BST means Basic Staff training, and those are MG classes). I hove bolded the PLA segments:

Tuesday
2:30-4:45 - Master Guide 1 - Leadership skills

Wednesday
9:00-9:30 - Pre-session
9:30-12:00 - Master Guide 2 - Communication skills
1:30 -3:00 - BST- Club organization
3:15-4:45 - BST/PLA - Leadership skills

Thursday
9:00-9:30 - Pre-session
9:30-12:00 - Master Guide 3 - Creativity and resource development
1:30-3:00 - PLA - Preventing child abuse
3:15-4:45 - BST - Club programming and planning