Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No time for Master Guide
PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:42 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I have absolutely no time for Master Guide stuff. Everytime I look at it I think to myself "Ok, I'm gonna knock this stuff out". I find that I barely have enought time to run the club! :shock: I know I need to make time. I have even considered quiting the club until I can get it and then going back. There is a TLT director here in Tucson who told me that it took him 8 years to get his MG. I think that might be me. Oh well, just venting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 8:32 am 
Skillful Ranger

Heh, well, I have heard that it is possible to get it in as little as a year, but I guess that only works if that is the only thing you have to worry about. For me, between highschool, work, and now college; plus involvement in Pathfinders, it has taken me a total of 3 years. I only have the paper on the beliefs to complete (I should have this done in time to get invested at the Northern New England Conference Spring Camporee in Maine. Anyone interested in attending this event (in my support), please let me know, and I will get you the info. The dates are may 20-22, 2005.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 10:30 am 
Master Guide

Congrats cailin. Wish I could attend but I think getting to New England is unlikely.

Tapascos, don't quit. The classes cover a 10 hour span (plus two more seminars) and if you go to the Arizona Conference Leadership Convention you should be able to get it done that weekend. If you do not want to wait until fall try to get your Area Coordinator, through Director Daniel (or probably Carol) to set a weekend seminar for your whole staff. It is not too bad, I have taken and taught it. There can be plenty of discussion rather than lecture and it works out to be a good way to learn. Take advantiage of your Area Coordinator, in Arizona's case the Spanish Coordinators in Arizona have a deal of experience and so do most all of the others. I hope every one is so fortunate to have as an experienced state staff.

I wish every director were a Master Guide first but; since you are not, do not quit. I think you care quite a lot for your group and that is more important. Look over the requirements carefully, many of them will come by fulfilling your duty as a director.

The question was asked what about college? If your courses were contemporary and you can show your advisor you passed, it is up to the advisor, you need to be able to show the descrpition of the class and demonstrate what you carried away from it.

Section III will come from being a director if you make them.
Tapascos on Jan 30 be at the Conference office by 9 am Pastor Steve Tatum will hold a lecture/seminar that fulfills the Sec. 4 C requirement. I am planning on going myself, just for the experience.

V. A. There is a short boook called The Five Temptations of a CEO by Patrick M. Lencioni, it is an easy to read fable of the pitfalls a leader faces and it is only like 120 pages so it reads easy; about 4 hours.

And then more of V you did just by being a director...

Last get up 25 minutes early and do a 15-20 minute excersise routine everyday. You will be better for it, I propmise: And I avoid excersise like it causes death - when I was 20 and a young cop I worked out 3-5 times a week, one hour a day. the first six weeks I gained weight to a record (at the time 141) and I could bench 170 lbs and run two miles without dying (did I mention bronchitus and asthmea), so I am sure if you make the habit it will actually make more energy for you.

I was one of the last to finish the old Master Guide before the renewable system was fully in place. Lucky I guess, but in NAD the current Master Guide is not so bad and even the GC version is not bad. Be happy, there was a version in the middle that was too difficult for anyone not dedicated to just being a Master Guide. It all works out in the end, God has called you to serve so, serve. He will open doors and windows along the way.

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 11:41 am 
Skillful Ranger

Thanks for all the encouragement you give me, Chris ;)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 9:04 am 
Astute Guide

Time is always a problem. I did most of the reading as personal devotional time. The ten hour course was taken over a Leadership Convention Weekend. The worst was the heritage test. There is a study book for that test and I had a used copy with a lot of highlighting in it.

I believe in the Conference Leadership Convention Weekends. I teach a section each year at Conference Leadership, and learn new things every year. Actually, I look forward to our Conference Leadership Weekend each year. It is like a family reunion.

To all who are working on their Master Guide, please keep at it. Our youth need your leadership. While you can be a director without your Master Guide, knowledge is a good thing.

Mr. Mike

Last edited by Mr Mike on Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 8:49 am 
Participating Companion

I started my masterguide at one club as was able to complete all the requirements on my card within about two years...however with some tension in the club I was at as a deputy director and ranger insturctor I did not return during the latter half of the year. So that set me back quite a bit. A couple years ago I started attending a new church and saw a desperate need to start a Pathfinder club. With that I became the director and was able to accomplish all the practical aspect of running a club...program planning, teaching honors, camping etc through much sweat, TEARS and prayers. I was finally after a little less than five year last December was FINALLY invested as a materguide. My District Co-ordinator was a major support system to me and I am glad I was able to complete all the requirements with much work and with intergrity. Thus waht I expected of myself is what I new instill in my club. They work hard and with consistency and investiture is a happy time for them. Just keep at it, you will appreciate that designation more knowing how much work you put into it.

Post subject: no time for masterguide
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:28 pm 
Helpful Explorer

What our club tried to do was to teach the MG class at the same time as the others at club meetings. Our conference isn't diligent with their MG training (the last group to complete the class finished sometime before I became a Pathfinder), so this would have been a an incredible opportunity for those who were interested in other clubs as well as in our own to participate. All candidates in the MG class, even those from other clubs, were required to pay dues that were only $10 more than what the regular Pathfinders had to pay for the year. The more people who registerred, the more income was generated for the for the club. (10 candidates covered all of the expenses for the year.) The schedule was made so that the candidates would be able to complete all of the requirements in 1 to 2 years depending on whether or not they were already a staff member. (The first year is basically just the book work, and the second year is the field work.) I was the coordinator, and therefore would have also completed the requirements as I researched and found people to do the seminars and teach the required honors. If any are interested in this idea, email me at sheika21@yahoo.com and I will send you what I have so that you can try it for yourselves in your clubs.

I have to say that it did not work for our club because we were not consistent with our club meetings and therefore it made it hard to follow our class schedule. (We missed almost 5 months!) In order for this to have worked for us, I would have had to meet outside of club time, and I didn't want to ruffle any feathers being that I was not the club director.