Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 6:47 pm 
Helpful Explorer

This thread is kind of a take off on the Master Guide induction idea. I have started and not completed my Master Guide. There are one or two MG in our church but none are working with Pathfinders or Adventurers. None of us working with Pathfinders/Adventurers are Master Guides, several are working on it in starts and stops. I would love someone to keep after me about completing my Master Guide the same way we keep after the pathfinders. Yes, I should be able to modivate myself, but . . . I can always use some encouragement. :oops: Is this what Master Guide Clubs are for? As far as I know there are none here in Michigan.
May be this forum could be used to encourage some of us that are poking along :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:03 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Arlene, I too am having difficulty finishing my MG. Mainly this is due to the fact that I am in college and have practically zero free time.... :?

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 6:58 am 
Astute Guide

It might be interesting to see what part of the requirements is causing those working on their Master Guide to start and stop and start and stop.
I would start a poll, but I don't know what categories to use.

Is it the reading?
Is it the 10 hour course?
Is it being active in a ministry?
:?: :?: :?:

If you will suggest categories, we can start a poll.
Maybe resources can be developed that will help with the problem areas.

Mr. Mike

Post subject: Do not give up!!!
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:58 pm 
Hello dear Master Guides.

Due to our busy lives now days, most people take an average of 3 years to complete the Master Guide curriculum, In our conference we have noticed that it requires a lot of motivation, and be the only one at church only helps to make it more difficult. Some suggestions that I have are:

Find at least one friend that also wants to be a Master Guide and help each other. This friend doesn’t need to be from the same church.

Find an Master Guide that can be your mentor, and work together, I beat he will fun and he/she will appreciate it as well since some Master Guides need to refresh their memory on the requirements.

See if you can be adopted on a established clubs and work with them to cover the requirements.

Join a Master Guide club.

Talk to the Conference Pathfinder Director and find other Master Guides to be that may join once a month to exchange ideas and resources.

And do not give up!!! You will be rewarded.

Sincerely Alfredo
http://www.masterguides.org

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:08 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I plan to discuss with the area coordinator this weekend at an area campout about this idea. Also as you can see I started several polls. If anyone thinks this is too much I will be glad to remove them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 8:08 am 
Astute Guide

I would suggest that those working on Master Guide should attend at least their annual Conference Leadership Training sessions while working on the requirements. There is a lot of useful information that is shared in these sessions. Some of the requirements can be completed at these sessions. These sessions would also help renew the motivation to attain your goal. After you achieve your Master Guide you can then attend the sessions as an instructor to help others.

I would also repeat - Don't give up. Set your goal and run the good race.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:49 pm 
Master Guide

As the Children's Ministries Department is emerging to provide more training through seminars to those involved with Junior and Pre-Junior Youth they have established a certification. Although greatly different over all than the Master Guide, I would suggest that any one working on their Master Guide keep track of what seminars they are offering. There is at least one requirement and you may find more that you will be able to fulfill by joining these seminars.

Today's Master Guide like the version immediatly prior to it can be quite time consuming to finish. The Master Guide was never; however, designed as a one year concept. Normally two years or most of two years would be required to complete the requirements of Master Giude - back all the way to Master Comrade.

Some of today's hold up is getting the training and seminars in. Your Youth Department should be helping you with this. Any skilled Master Guide should be able to provide these seminars. The Basic Staff Training must be taught by a Master Guide that is accepted to do so by your conference as they issue you certificate. The Leadership Convention is useful, though some conferences are rotating emphasis in three year cycles making it difficult to accomplish some education in a timely fashio unless you are starting in the first year of the cycle (rotating MG, PLA, PIA).

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:51 pm 
Master Guide

Arlene,

How is your Master Guide coming along?

How are all of you doing, the primary year is ended now, who made their goals, who is resetting but not giving up their goals?

Keep on working on it if you are not done yet, it is a worth while effort. Hope you can find ways to take advantage of the break (for those who break for summer) and get lots of progress made.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:18 am 
Superlative Voyager

I have yet to finish my guide *blushing* but hopefully soon I'll be finished with it!

Then by the time Leadership training comes around, I'll be lined up to finish my work that needs to be done. The reading... egh, most of us don't really like to read alot. hehe, but thats just the way it is.

What about a thread or two that has it broken up by sections, and whoever's finished would post how long it took them to do it? Just an idea, see what the average time is... if someone is stumbling, can't find a good book to read on the subject, doesn't know where to start to search for an answer...

haha, it would be like a support group for recovering drug addicts, but instead a support group for struggling MG's. We all do need to have the strength of each other to help finish, especially if we're from smaller clubs where alot of the burdens of the functioning of the clubs fall upon our shoulders... :(

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 5:17 pm 
Master Guide

There are for several (or they are being used this way), they are the topics under Master Guide with polls.

Others could be added to complete the catagories as needed or interest builds...

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject: Almost finished!!
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:21 am 
Participating Companion

I am only two requirements away, I have to finish my Christian Storytelling honor & the Seminars to attend. I hope to have everything finished by the end of September, at the end of the Conference Seminars :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 2:43 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I still need to finish the requirement for the 27 beliefs. I hope to have it done by Sept..... Wish me luck!

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:13 pm 
Master Guide

That has been quite a mountain for you Cailin I hope you reach the top soon.

God Bless,

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 12:54 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Hey Cailin,

You might want to add the 28th belief to that list....since it hasn't been updated yet. Have fun earning one of the most privaleged titles out there - I know I am! God bless.

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:00 am 
New Friend

I've been working on my MG for 2 yrs and want to complete it at last. The problem is getting information about the conference courses. I don't hear about them and so a year has gone by without the opportunity to complete that portion. There are other parts of the curriculum I still need to complete. It's not easy juggling life, work and other ministries including pathfinders. I've not been in pathfinders but hope to also complete the other level classwork after I finish MG.
Pray that I'll be done by the end of next year.

So. Conf. MG trainee :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:44 pm 
Participating Companion

Seaphim,

I waited for the Conf. Seminars to finish my MG, and then when I got the the Pathfinder Leadership Conv. all that was offer to us was part of the Basic Staff Training.

The leadership that was offering the course informed me that I could do the reading myself. At the bottom of the Basic Staff Training booklet are the references to the reading/information that is needed to complete the "Step" that that page covers.

Also, I asked how to complete the other requirements that the MG requirements said were to be done in a seminar? They told me that insted of comming to seminars and listening to them read the information, that we were incuraged to do the reading for ourselves.

An example would be the seminar on the Development of the Child, of the age group you are working with.

I asked what book that they suggested, one that I did was called "Transforming Children into Spiritual Champions" By George Barna, it is available through AdventSource.

So my advice would be to contact the Conf. PF Dir. and ask if the seminars were going to be offered anytime soon, or if they would suggest you to read up on the Topics on your own.

If you have missed the Seminars for this year and don't want to wait, maybe do the reading, so you can finish the MG program, and then next year take the seminars. That way you can be doubly bless with informatsion! :)

Blessings to you and those you serve!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

MG training seminars will be held as part of the VERY COOL NAD Youth Leadership Convention being held Feb 23-26 in Jacksonville, FL.
http://www.adventistyouthministries.org for more details.

Mark O'Ffill

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:20 pm 
Site Admin

Your conference leadership might find these powerpoints helpful in presenting a COMPLETE Basic Staff Training weekend each year at Staff Convention. You may also find them helpful for your own learning process.

http://www.pathfindersonline.org/media/ ... aining.zip

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:51 am 
New Friend

Hey everybody,
I've encountered a wee problem here... In my pre-req's, it says that I must complete a basic staff training course. Does that mean that I cannot work on anything until I have done that? It is a pre-req... If so, will any previous work be discounted? I already worked as a staff member for Busy Bees for a year, but never had any leadership training courses. The other teachers just helped me as I went through it, and I taught enough awards to fill that requirement as well, but like I said I had not finished the pre-req's. Will that matter? Do I need to start over? At the time, I was not teaching in order to get my MG, I was simply trying to help out and i really enjoy teaching. As far as I know, there aren't any leadership training programs until February in my conference. I don't really want to have to wait that long to keep working on it, and really hope that my previous work will count. Guidance, anyone? :?

Post subject: BST course
PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

That all depends on the "laws" that your conference has instituted. Many conferences count all the current years' work regardless of when the training session is in the year. Others honor years after you begin the Basic Training Course. Very few honor years PRIOR TO the current year when the Basic Staff Training course is completed, simply because they wish you to PRACTICE the skills you've learned during the training. You need to call your conference Youth/Pathfinder Director.

Remember, when you get the training to also create friendships with fellow "newbies" as well as vets who can help you out during the year.

Post subject: Classes
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:46 pm 
New Friend

Our Pathfinder area coordinators are trying a new idea to get people motivated to ACTUALLY finish and complete their Master Guide.

They are conduction a 10 session Master Guide Class (one class a week for 10 months). I have been assisting in teaching some of the requirements and have found this idea really neat! Everyone there is working toward the same goal and motivating each other along the way. Besides, it's fun for everyone to work on it together. We have about 25 students and are half way through the course, it's working well and I would recommend this to other area's and conferences.

Deputy Director, Master Guide, Drill Instructor, TLT Coordinator

http://www.kodakgallery.com/bentonvillebeavers (password: beaver)

Post subject: Still not done....
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 9:21 am 
Skillful Ranger

As some of you might have noticed, I am now in American Fork, UT. I moved here on Tuesday. I know I havent been around much for several months :( I STILL have to finish the paper. Perhaps being in a new place will motivate me :P

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 8:10 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
You can do it! I just finnished! You have worked too hard to give up now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:26 pm 
Skillful Ranger

*thinks* I have some time this weekend :D I just have to sit down and do it....Anyone know what the paper requirements are for the MG paper in the Utah/Nevada conference?

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:06 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I think that this year is the year... I'm gonna work and finish Guide, and start on my Master Guide. I felt that I shouldn't have started on MG until I finished Guide... going through the entire curriculum, setting the example for the Pathfinders not to cut any corners.

Soooo... I have 3 junior counselors this year, and we'll see if I'm able to have them teach enough to get me the spare time here and there to finish MG...

Wish me BLESSINGS...

Central California Conference