Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

How long has it been since you earned Master Guide?
Haven't done Master Guide 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
Being Invested this year 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
1-3 years 31%  31%  [ 8 ]
4-10 years 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
11-20 years 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
21-30 years 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
31-40 years 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 26
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:07 pm 
Site Admin

I encourage those of you who have started but not finished, as well as those that have completed Master Guide YEARS/DECADES ago to move on to earning your PLA / PIA endorsements. Our Pathfinders are dealing with 21st century issues and our clubs must be equipped to deal WELL with the 21st Century. the CONTINUED training that is part of PLA / PIA helps us stay sharp and tuned for this responsiblity. After all, in our jobs we wouldn't stop getting CEU's or learning new skills for 40yrs yet this is what many are doing once "arriving" with Master Guide. One favorite quote says "Onward ever Upward" I'd say as Pathfinders we have more then one "play on words" with this phrase. . . . both in this world and in the world to come.

GO PATHFINDERS!!

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: 13 years for me!
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

13 years ago I earned Master Guide. My first Pathfinder director also invested me as Master Guide at Ga-Cumb. Pathfinder Camporee in 1992. I read "Education" on my way TO CAMPOREE (as I returned from Sr. Class Trip). If a 17 yr old kid can get MG, so can you! :P

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:24 am 
Superlative Voyager

I was hoping to be invested at Discover the Power as an MG... that was my goal... then I realized I had to complete Guide and MG first... hehe. Oops

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:42 pm 
Astute Guide

When I finished my MG in 1989, I wanted something more.
Then came PLA and PIA.

I would encourage everyone to do the advanced work.
You can not be over educated.

I like the part of the PIA which requires you to teach :!:
I try to teach a section of classwork every year at Conference Leadership weekend.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:25 am 
New Friend

I turned 16 in August of '83, and was invested with MG Pathfinder Sabbath the following September. I had to "back up" and get Voyager when it came out. I am working on PLA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:54 pm 
Master Guide

I was invested at FOF when I was 16. I'm now 17 and am already about a third of the way done with PLA. Then I'll go for PIA. I really enjoy working with kid, especially in an outdoor environment. It's really worth it for me.

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:14 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I was also invested at 16. It was really cool, My grandma, who is an MG was able to pin me (as she had done for all other classes except one) and then I got to pin my mom, who earned her master guide the same year as me.

I am wroking on PLA, but it is slow going as the seminars needed for PLA arn't offered with in the conferance. I need to attend larger events.

Post subject: Master Guide
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 3:40 pm 
New Friend

Hi,

I was invested at the Faith On Fire Camporee 2004 too! I was 19 then, and it was so exciting to share that moment with 30,000 fellow Pathfinders! I especially love the special MG pin that says Faith on Fire! I am almost done with my PLA, just some reading left to do.

I absolutely LOVE working in Pathfinders! I'm the TLT/Teen Coordinator right now and teaching Voyager and Guide - 6 teens. I just love it, I couldn't say that enough!

Happy New Year

Deputy Director, Master Guide, Drill Instructor, TLT Coordinator

http://www.kodakgallery.com/bentonvillebeavers (password: beaver)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 8:43 pm 
New Friend

I just started working on my MG. I really wish that I would have continued on years ago, but alas--Academy didn't incorporate Pathfinder stuff, so I'm getting to it now as our son starts Pathfinders this year. :shock: (Can't believe I'm that old! :lol: )

We've got a group of us adults at our church working on it so it should be fun to have each other's support! :D

--Nicole

But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. --Galatians 6:14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 am 
Master Guide

Two of my area clubs have a Master Guide class. That will be a nice 'graduation' date. Is there a special program that I have to think about to let them know.

Post subject: MG graduation program
PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:06 am 
Site Admin

Often it is simply part of either a local club investiture or a conference wide investiture either at convention or camporee.

Some churches however have "Master Guide clubs" that operate separately from Pathfinders and they do their own graduation ceremony with much pomp and ceremony. Regional conference churches seem to often prefer this type of setup, though traditions vary across the NAD/World church :D .

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:10 pm 
Astute Guide

I did my MG in 1 year! It was lots of hard work and fun education :D ! I would like to reafirm the comment of if us "young people" can do it and be invested at a young age... anybody can! I am also glad to hear some encouragement and to see that I'm not crazy to be 18 and be working on PLA! Oh ya, on that Texas thing, they have their own MG program (i.e. their own scarf, pin, slide, patch, and i think a few other things) so be careful as to what uniform advice you pick up there as it may not be done exactly according to the NAD rules. And also, to my knowledge there is no official color for MG; you can wear the black or green.

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:21 pm 
Master Guide

Wildernessfun,

Don't worry I only need to know if he got rules from NAD to let me know where he found the info since I can't find anything so far. I always like to follow NAD rules and show that to my area directors. As for uniforms, I'm not looking info for that, just rules for a MG Club. I imagine that there should be some just as the Pathfinders and Adventurers have their.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 12:07 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Just wanted to add, that having completed Master Guide just this spring and being invested, I have started the PLA requirements.

It's awesome that MG is not the final training available.

(edited to clarify - not a new level)

Last edited by Gerald G on Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:51 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I would like to clarify this, however, that PLA or PIA are not higher levels than Master Guide. They are additional skills/awards Master Guides can earn, but they don't put those who earn them on any higher level than those Master Guides who have not earned them. In other words, they are not separate, higher levels than Master Guide. (I'm almost finished with PLA also!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 am 
Master Guide

True indeed. I'm working on my PIA. This weekend we have our Leadership Weekend and I will be teaching the 10 hours for those that are starting their Master Guide. I think I'll have 10 in the class. Which is good for me, since is one of the requirements for PIA.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:53 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Awesome, Betsy! I and several other Master Guides in Illinois, including some of our other Area Coordinators, are working on PLA. Then, we'll start on PIA. One of our ACs already has PIA. Speaking of ACs, Betsy, we won't be seeing you at the Lake Union AC meetings this year since they've been cancelled--bummer! We'll have a full-blown PF leadership training weekend next year at Andrews, plus AC meetings, however. I don't know how we'll do the AC meetings, though, since a lot of them always end up teaching the seminars. Maybe they'll get others to teach next time so we can have meetings. (But we each need a few more seminars to finish our PLAs--yikes!) :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:07 am 
Master Guide

Hey Linda, sorry to hear that there won't be AC meeting this year, but thanks for let me know. I was going to ask Mike about it. Most of our directors in here have finish the PLA. But some say they don't want to take PIA because they don't want the responsiblities of teaching. Yes, it would be hard to have AC meetings unless, you have at least a timeframe for it.

Our Leadership Weekend was amazing, besides beautiful weather, we have an attendance of 50 people

By the way, are you planning to go to Dallas for the NAD Youth Ministries Leadership Summit? That's where I plan to finish my PIA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:41 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Hey, Betsy. Please be sure to keep Pastor Dodge in your prayers as he's having back/spine surgery soon--the reason our Lake Union AC meetings were cancelled. Also, this is the first I've heard of the NAD Youth Ministries Leadership Summit in 2008. I'd really like to go since I've never been to one, so I'll try. I could probably finish my PLA there and start on my PIA also. I'm hoping to get a few more ACs to go along too, especially those working on PLA & PIA. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:49 pm 
Master Guide

Linda, of course I'll keep him in prayers. Regarding the NAD Youth Ministries Leadership Summit, go to http://www.plusline.org/ and click on adventistyouthministries to read about it and to register. Pastor Dodge was in the last one in Florida, so hopefully he will be there next year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:50 pm 
I finished my MG, PLA and PIA. :D I wish we have more tracks available. It is a lot of fun to learn and to teach. All for the glory of God!!
I encourage to learn as much as you can to help our young people…

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:41 am 
Master Guide

Good, work alfa0722! I am sure we will find some more items to make formal training out of for Pathfinders and Youth.

NADChM has two training certifications (and some specialized ones that are not shown online) that you might like to take a look at while your looking for new things to learn.

http://childmin.com/Certification/

These are similar in many ways to PLA/PIA. They reflect some formal teaching methods and goals. We just had the NADChM ministry convention 11.8-10 where about 1000 youth and children's volunteers and church employed leaders had the opportunity to choose from 120 training sessions during 8 breakouts plus the general sessions for everyone between. People such as Sung Kwon (Exec. Dir NAD ACS), Linda Koh (Director ChMGC), Phyllis Wahington (Director NADChM), and a host of others like myself taught sessions on everything from clown and drama ministries to outreach and building children's faith.

I will get carried away with myself here if I do not pace it. In as few words as possible. The Children's Ministry and Youth Ministry Department must have one goal. Any person working in any kid's ministry will benefit from the training and meetings in ALL kids ministry, so anyone wanting more should look to the next youth convention in '08 and to Florida ChM in '08.

I forgot to say the Adventist Risk Management offered several sessions at the convention as well. These are not so much fun as clown ministry but in todays world they are necessary. Sessions such as keeping kids safe during activities and identifying child abuse are as important today as MG for a Pathfinder leader or "Teaching Gracelink" for the Sabbath School bunch.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International