Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:01 pm 
Master Guide

Read a book on leadership:

The suggested book is a fine book, there are two others that are not likely to come across you radar when studying ministerial leadership, that I recommend. I am a bit "out of the box" as it were when it comes to such studies. I seek out new challenges and items that will challenge my thoughts and inspire my prayers. I always like to have new things to talk to God about so...

The first is a short book called The Five Temptations of a CEO: A Leadership Fable Patrick M. Lencioni. This book helps to remind leaders of the pitfalls of leadership, it is an outstanding book.

The second is The Dilbert Principle Scott Adams. Yes, it contains a large sum of dry humor and sarcasm; however it is an outstanding analogy of the of the corporate machine's need to move up those most dangerous to production. Why might this apply? The lessons learned from this book help us to beware of who we work for and with, that as leaders we must be diligent in putting people where their talents lie and their skills will grow. That to move someone ever upward to the level of their incompetency is a hazard to any organization be it corporate or religious.

Enjoy, and God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 10:36 pm 
Site Admin

If we're talking about "out of the box," may I suggest "Who Moved My Cheese"? It is a New York Times best seller, and addresses the issues of change and how leaders must adjust to it, but it does it through an incredible allegory. Sort book, deep thought required.

P.S. THis is not an OFFICIAL NAD recommendation, largely because it is not produced by a Christian publishing institution. . . . . :P As I remember though, it is consistent with our ideals.

Mark O'Ffill

Last edited by pathfinders on Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:40 am 
Astute Guide

I would put The 7 Habits of Hifhly Effective Teens by Sean Covey on the list of books to read.

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 2:04 pm 
kewl topic guys :) :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 7:47 pm 
Master Guide

The best book I've read on leadership (or on any topic for that matter) in the last five years is The Last Place on Earth by Roland Huntford. This book chronicles the leadership of Roald Amundsen and Robert Scot as they raced to the South Pole. Amundsen made it there a month earlier than Scot. Scot and his men died on the return trip. The difference was in the leadership abilities of the two men.

I just returned from our annual Pathfinder Leadership Training where I presented the story from this book as the Club Leadership seminar (along with several other stories from my own life).