Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master Guide help.....
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 12:34 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I have almost completed my MG coursework.... I think the hardest part for me (and the part I have left) is giving a series of studies on the 27 beliefs. I must confess that I find this scary, as I do not go to an Adentist colege, so I am a bit daunted. I am a 21 year old adventist. Does anyone have any advice?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:36 pm 
Astute Guide

I am not sure if there is a requirement as to who the audience should be for these studies. I have not read the MG requirements lately.

If possible, could you teach the 27 beliefs as a special Sabbath School Class? Your church may have new(er) members that would like the review. Use the 27 beliefs book as the text book for your class. This should be a friendly audience.

Please keep after your requirements and finish your Master Guide. Our youth need all the caring, Godly leaders possible and you will benefit personally from the completion of the training and knowledge required to be a Master Guide.

God Bless

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:30 pm 
Master Guide

The 27 requirement:

You are not under any obligation to present them at all. If you choose to do a seminar or presentation you only need to present 15 of them. Currently the leader of the Sabbath School Class I assist in is working through all 27 with the class, it is possible.

Your audience is not defined by the requirement, you may present 15 of them to any group as long as a Master Guide can verify your presentation and sign off.

You are also allowed to write a paper on the meaning of any 15 of the 27, as a college student, I suspect you know how to write papers. The paper would have to be submitted to a Master Guide for reveiw and sign off. The Master Guide who is to invest you will likely want to be certian you have completed all of your requirements and may want to see the paper as well. That is, if you have not had the same "Mentor" through your whole process.

Keep up the good work, there are far too few Master Guides leading Adventist Youth today.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 7:50 am 
Skillful Ranger

Thanks for the clarification, I was under the impression that the paper had to cover ALL the beliefs. I think I may opt for the paper, as I have written several on other topics lately :) As far as I know, this is the only requirement that I have left to complete. I have been working with my conference Pathfinder director as I go through the training. I am hoping to have it all completed by the time our Spring Camporee rolls around in May. :) Does anyone know if there is any kind of test I have to take to complete the MG work, or do I just turn in the record card when it has all been signed?

Thanks

Cailin Gerrans
4th YR TLT/ Staff of Portsmouth, NH Living Waters Club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:43 am 
Astute Guide

A completely signed off card by another Master Guide is all that is required. If you are currently working with your Conference Pathfinder Director, he/she should have a good feel where you are in the MG process.

To me, a Camporee would be a great place to be invested. It can be inspiration to other Pathfinders to go the extra step and become a leader for our youth.

Mr. Mike
(MG, PLA, PIA)

Post subject: Here's a teaching idea
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 7:49 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I am also just about done with my master guide. I've been working on it since I was a TLT in 99. I love making speeches/presentations. Going over one or two of the beliefs each pathfinder worship is a wonderful way to use the time to teach the children about the church they belong to. Most kids don't even know what they believe, they just do it because everyone else does it. Good luck on teaching! It's worth it!

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 9:08 pm 
Skillful Ranger

marcie, I have been working on my MG off and on for the past three years, I am finally almost done. I am hoping to stay active in Pathfinders for years to come.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:56 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Here's a new question:

When are you allowed to wear the MG pins( like what they have for companion, friend, etc classes) what about the patch that says master guide? Info please...

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:20 pm 
Master Guide

Master Guide has never technically changed. That is you do not have to be an active Pathfinder Leader or AY Leader to where a Master Guide Uniform..

The Giant patch has no official use, I see them on scarves or sashes mostly. Mine is a Frame on the wall with service pins and a Good Conduct ribbon.

The MAster Guide uniform used to be, and most technically still is, the Army Green uniform suit with tan shirt. One Master Guide pin on the lower point of each lapel. No patches or anything else. A drawing appears on page 51 of the 1965 MV HANDBOOK from the General Conference. The description in detail is men and them women's wich continues to page 53. It does allow the "MV and Pathfinder Club Patches" on the sleeve for men and for women the MV patch on the hat.

That hat is the old style oversees WAC headcover.

"It is recommended that those having uniforms wear them on the following occasions-
a. at the regular jmv meetings when practicable.
b. At Pathfinder meetings
c. At JMV class gatherings
d. On class hikes
e. At special programs
f. At invetiture services
g. At any public gathering when any or all act as
(1) messengers
(2) ushers
(3) Guard of honor
(4) First-aid detail
(5) Color Guards
h. On occasions as specified by JMV or Pathfinder staff officers"
-MV Handbook 1965 p.50

"Uniform May be Worn
a. At church services
b. While ingaging in missionary activity, such as Ingathering, distributing food baskets, bouquets, literature, or church announcements; and band work, such as Singing Band and Sunshine Band."
- MV Handbook 1965 p. 51

The Master Guide Uniform is simple and clean. To be worn when representing the church. That is what all of that was. As Pathfinder Leadership Master Guides most (including me) wear all of the Pathfinder pins and ribbons prper for the uniform. Since an MG is an MG in or out of Pathfinders the "old" style has never changed and should not. Today the World Patch replaces the old MV patch and if you are not a Pathfinder then you need not wear a Pathfinder patch.

Marcie, I know you are in Pathfinders, this response I hope is thurough and for everyone.

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:34 pm 
Superlative Voyager

The reason I asked is because technically I'm not officially a MG yet. My director was just invested as a MG last year. She's the one tellin me that I could or cannot wear any type of MG patches/pins until I get invested as MG. Explain please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:43 pm 
Master Guide

It is just like anything else, you can not wear or display what you have not earned or been awarded. You would not wear a police officer's badge if you were not a cop. You would not wear a general's uniform if you were not a general. Master Guide means something and it is a point to be respected.

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resource International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:31 pm 
Superlative Voyager

what about the class name strip for master guide, that you put above the pocket - that normally i know you are supposed to wear the class you are studying(am i correct?) since the master guide is a class, is it ok to display the class name strip?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:41 am 
Skillful Ranger

If I remember from reading the manual (and i read the whole thing- don't ask...). you are allowed to wear the class name strip and pind and such for the highest class you have completed. Hope this helps...

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 3:45 pm 
Master Guide

Cailin is right. You wear the class strip, chevron and pin only for the highest class you have completed. It is not uncommon these days for Pathfinder leaders NOT to be Master Guides. I recommend that if you are not that you do it, it will take most people two years to complete, do not be threatened by that it is supposed to take that long, and if you are a leader sometimes finishing classwork is a challange. Many Master Guides now where only the star patch because they have not completed all of the lower levels, this is okay too but I tell them the same thing I tell those who are not yet MG; work on it.

If you are a Director or becoming one then work on and complete your MG ASAP. Then if you have not done all or part of the other classes go back and teach them to groups, that way you have a good reason to do them yourself. It will benefit you as a leader.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:38 pm 
Superlative Voyager

thanks Cailin and Chris. You both helped tons to get me cleared up on that.

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:49 pm 
Master Guide

That is why we all come here Marcie. You are on the right track so I am sure you will find yourself doing well for your club.

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2005 12:12 am 
Site Admin

Excellent and thourough advice by members of this forum. What a great community! :lol:

Great work.

Mark O'Ffill
NAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 6:19 pm 
Participating Companion

So true this forum is going very well, congrats to the site admin and may God continue to bless this site.

"What is a pathfinder?
A Pathfinder is not a what
It's a way of life!"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:17 pm 
New Friend

I didnt have to do a bible study I think there is more than one option. What my Instructor did was divide the amount of beliefs amongst those of us doing the program, each of us had about 5 beliefs each. After we presented it before the church at an Ay program. There was a MG or church member to judge our presentation and ask us a few questions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:49 pm 
Master Guide

That's what I did when I taught the MG Class and plan to do the same on the next class. It's easy for them to explain what it means to them. Also, the others will give their opinion.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 pm 
Participating Companion

can any one explain what NG emblem mean. In regular pathfinder emblem all is clear: colors, symbols, numbers... one what I finde in MG emblem - is globe that mean world community. If any one can help beforehand appreciate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:31 pm 
Astute Guide

I can't find any explanation of the Master Guide logo, but I will tell what I know about it. The world resembles the world emblem worn on the left sleeve (NAD uniform), and the six stars represent the classes of Friend, Companion, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 11:20 pm 
Participating Companion

do you raplace world emblem by MG emblem? or it kind of addition?
Why emblem has 8 angels?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:53 am 
Master Guide

Eight angles? Now I'm confused. Could you should post a picture of the emblem so we all know what you're talking about?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:47 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
There are 8 sides to the Master Guide emblem. The question might be said as follows: Why is the Master Guide emblem the shape of an octagon?

To answer the question as to the number of stars, as was said by others, it is the number of class levels in Pathfinders. The above image has 6 stars, one each for Friend, Companion, Explorer, Ranger, Voyager, Guide.
Image This Master Guide logo has 8 stars. It is from Florida, where there are 8 class levels (Navigator & Pioneer are the two extra).
While I cannot locate an image of it, there used to be a Master Guide/Master Comrade emblem with only 4 stars. This was because Pathfinders used to only have 4 class levels.

You don't replace the world emblem of Pathfinders with the Master Guide emblem. Do you remember where I had my Master Guide emblem patch? It was on my sash, not on my shirt. It would never have fit on my shirt, as it was a little more than 10cm from top to bottom and side to side. Instead a star (sewn on a patch)
or star with chevrons
was worn on your left sleeve, below the pathfinder world emblem, like I did.