Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Some questions...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:46 pm 
New Friend

Hello everyone,

I'm so glad I found this site. I haven't even thought of Pathfinders for years (unfortunately). I was in my local Pathfinder club all the way through Guide. I loved it. Unfortunately, I'm not in an area that has a club anymore, although there is a Spanish-speaking one, I'm pretty much useless to help them out. The problem? I really want to earn Master Guide. I'd wanted to for years, and when life took me to other states for work, I pushed that aside. So now I'm a stay at home mom of a 4 year old and I would really like to do this.

When I was getting ready to do MG, I remember they changed it so you had to be active in a club every year in order to keep it. Is that still a requirement? I would love to be a part of one, but it isn't an option (the closest might be 45 minutes to an hour a way... and I wouldn't have anyone to watch my son, because it would overlap the time my husband works). If the once a year requirement is in place, I don't think my mom is even technically a MG still (she was one for as long as I can remember).

I want to complete this more than anything, and would love to help out a club near me, but it isn't an option. If I have to I will complete it to the best of my ability and hope there's enough interest for a club... But I'd love to have some advice or information that others can share :)

Thank you very much :)
Valerie

Post subject: Re: Some questions...
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:40 pm 
Master Guide

First, welcome to the forum!

You can find the current MG requirements here. There's nothing in there about having to be in Pathfinders continuously, and I have never heard of anyone losing MG because they bowed out of PFs for a while. Once a MG, always a MG.

Perhaps the most difficult requirement you will face is also the one that presents an opportunity to you: supervise a participant through either the Adventurer class curriculum or AY class curriculum. If your church does not have an Adventurer's program maybe it's time for you to start one. It doesn't have to be big.

Adventurer's "proper" starts at age 6, but there are related programs for 4 and 5 year-olds (Little Lambs and Eager Beavers). This way you and your son could both benefit directly and immediately. Get in contact with a Master Guide and see if they will sign you off on that. I know I would, and I'm guessing maybe your Master Guide mom would too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:42 pm 
New Friend

Thank you SO much for your response, I really am grateful! I'm so happy to hear once a MG, always a MG. I am kicking myself for listening to rumor and not doing it sooner.

How big does an adventurer club have to be? I'd be happy to start one, I need to check into it. I'd be happy to get my son started on it when he's old enough. I also have 2 nieces nearby and maybe could find others interested. Pathfinders was such a big part my childhood, I can't even imagine not having it around, but I emailed some churches within 50 miles to ask them if I just haven't heard about them. I went and found my old scarves (and my sash, which looks a lot smaller than it used to be, hehe), and I still have my orange scarf with the busy bee, sunbeam, builder and helping hand pins on it.

Again, thank you so much for this site, I'm going to visit often if only to read :)

Have a wonderful evening!
Valerie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:04 pm 
Master Guide

You only need one kid for an Adventurer Club. If you decide you want to do that though, you need to contact your conference youth director so they can charter you. Also, the club will have to be connected to a church, and that means membership should be open to any kid in the church (and in the age group) who wants to join. It also means the church will need to agree to have the club, and it is their responsibility to appoint the director (though I wouldn't worry about that - if you're the one approaching them with the idea of starting a club, you are the obvious choice as director).

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 10:42 pm 
New Friend

Thank you :) That's very helpful. I'd of course be happy to have any child be a part of it. I'll have to talk to the church here. For some reason I just had this jump into my head this evening and it seemed very important :) Hope you don't mind that I ask questions :)

I'm excited about this now!

But it's time for bed, before I fall asleep face first on the keyboard :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:10 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Always ask questions. This forum's purpose it to share ideas and answer questions for each other. Might I recommend a book for you? It's called "7 Steps for Successful Pathfinder Leadership" and can be found either here at AdventSource or rarely at the Adventist Book Center. Yes, it says Pathfinders, but it really can be used for just about any Adventist (Junior) Youth club.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm 
Participating Companion

may be, this is not correct topick, but... Some time I participate in children story ministry. And that demand sarch different storys. Very often I do this in internet. 3 or 4 mouthes ago in http://www.adventistarchives.org I find archive of Junior guide magazine. But now it is gone. Can any one give a tip where I can find it in oter place or when it came back to dventistarchives.org