Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Church Heritage what are you still working on?
Pathfinder Story 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Earn Church Heritage Award 21%  21%  [ 6 ]
Read Church Heritage Book 7%  7%  [ 2 ]
All or most of the Church Heritage 11%  11%  [ 3 ]
Completed Church Heritage requirements 57%  57%  [ 16 ]
Total votes : 28
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:43 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Is it the Church Heritage requirements? Here in Michigan there is usually a seminar that covers part of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:39 am 
Skillful Ranger

I did mine at a seminar as well.

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:34 am 
Astute Guide

There is also a small paperback book that covers the information for this section. I assume it is available from Advent Source.
I have seen this section require a lot of study to pass the test that was given.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:53 pm 
Participating Companion

I completed it through school work about church heritage all the way back through the Reformation and such. Adventist Heritage itself has been ingrained since I was little.

Post subject: Church Heritage
PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:34 pm 
Helpful Explorer

The requirements are in the MG Curriculum. You'll be able to answer most of the questions when you read Anticipating the Advent by George Knight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

If you're attending or have recently attended an Adventist College, chances are you've taken the Adventist Heritage Course or its equivalent during your time there. If so, a simple refresher may be all that is needed to get this part checked off.

I took the TEST back a few years ago when I was 16, it was the hardest test I'd taken up to that point. . . .

I'm telling my Academy students in Sophmore REligion (We're studying Adventist Heritage right now) that if they pass BOTH mid-term and FINAL exams with a B or better, I'll sign off their card.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: Test?!???
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:23 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Several of you have stated that you had to take a test. Where did you take it and is there a copy somewhere?
Was it something that the MG signing off for you required?
Has this changed some with the recent revisions of the MG?
I am trying to help several of us complete this requirement. I love church history and am interested in making this doable for others here locally. May be I don't understand the requirements - Michigan includes a copy of the material that is in the Master Guide Curriculum binder available from Advent Source. The Church Heritage Award currently has 9 requirements. I did not see a test listed there. It looks like you could do some kind of matching test between people and what they did, events and their significant in EG Whites life and locations and why they are important from requirements 6, 7, and 8. Does it need to be a essay test? Thanks in advance.

There is help for requirement #9 telling stories or doing skits. The Pathways of the Pioneers audio series is a great way to learn about church history. Included is a script of all the audio stories, they are available in pdf, plain text or word files. (I got my copy from a teacher at the church school). I also think that for individuals with problems reading listening to the whole series should count instead of reading one of the required books.

BTW has anyone else had trouble with requirement #3 where they want you to complete a four generation family tree – including telling each person’s religious faith. I can not even name all the individuals in my family tree let alone their church affiliations - but I do know how each of my Adventist ancestors first became Seventh-day Adventist (these stories are precious to me).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:53 pm 
Site Admin

The Pathways of the Pioneers link is:

http://luc.adventist.org/pathways/

The cost for the complete set is $150. A really good price actually. Individual CDs with 2-3 stories on them cost $2-5 depending on the # included on the CD.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 8:55 pm 
Site Admin

The test was YEARS ago (about 1992). I was invested on the "new" Master Guide I believe.

I've got an email in to Adventsource about curriculum and materials for that requirement, they'll hopefully email me back soon.

Blessings,

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 3:34 pm 
Master Guide

Mark, were you invested with the White and blue card? That was the first new one. The next is the current two pager, the predicessor was a green accordian. I was invested under the "old" system about the same time (got lucky, I started before the change as was allowed to finish).

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:17 pm 
Site Admin

The blue and gold card.

I was just a year or two after the "change" from the green accordian.

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:13 pm 
Site Admin

The Church Heritage Award Requirements have been posted on the NAD Pathfinder website:
http://www.pathfindersonline.org/pdf/cl ... ritage.pdf

Blessings,

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:10 am 
Astute Guide

The family tree requirement can be a problem for some.
There are cases where a parent was rasied in an orphanage (my case).
It is impossible to track back four generations.

Go back as far as you can and list a much information that is available. This is all you can do.
It would be interesting to go more than four generations if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Mr. Mike is referring to requirement #3.

A general rule of thumb I use is: If the requirement CANNOT be fulfilled as stated, do thing(s) that fulfill similar goals and are of similar difficulty. Too many Pathfinder leaders are more guilty of "Can't do that one so we'll skip it" which sets a TERRIBLE example for our young people. (It is neither pure or true!)

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: "Substitution"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:00 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Quote:
that fulfill similar goals and are of similar difficulty

This is a concept I thoroughly agree with, it is important for the Pathfinders to receive the benefit intended in the requirement. But I am left with a question. It is not always clear what the specific goal for a particular requirement was. This is true of both honors and class work. Therefore selecting an appropriate substitution can be difficult.

Teachers are familiar with the idea of goals and objectives driving the content of classes. Pathfinder materials have goals stated in training materials. An additional statement of goals and/or objectives for each requirement would be helpful. I personally find it easier to make the appropriate substitutions if I understand what was desired in the first place.

Have you considered having a forum area where the philosophy of Pathfindering including a discussion of the goals and objectives of requirements could be discuss? Some of this thread could be moved there.

Post subject: Re: "Substitution"
PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Teachers are familiar with the idea of goals and objectives driving the content of classes. Pathfinder materials have goals stated in training materials. An additional statement of goals and/or objectives for each requirement would be helpful. I personally find it easier to make the appropriate substitutions if I understand what was desired in the first place.

This is a great idea, though with over 300 honors available, some of which were created LONG AGO, I'm not sure that there is the person-power to ever accomplish this. However, there are online resources that answer over 90% of the honor answers, and thus could validate or inform, and potentially even suggest alternatives. In the class levels, the Instructors Manual is rather detailed (over 800 pages in length) and should assist in finding out the reasons why. . . I would suggest also emailing "Pathfinder Joe" who is a member of this forum and asking him about particular points of the classwork. He was on the committee which created the class levels, and is very well versed on the "reasons why" and the "objectives desired". He's an excellent resource who is online a lot.

Quote:
Have you considered having a forum area where the philosophy of Pathfindering including a discussion of the goals and objectives of requirements could be discuss? Some of this thread could be moved there.

Thanks for the suggestion, are there others that would find this helpful? If this is a popular enough topic line I'm perfectly willing to create a new forum. I would suggest Arlene that you submit this suggestion to the "Suggest a Forum" Thread so that others can quickly view and react to it, maybe even add a poll.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2005 5:44 pm 
Master Guide

Since putting Dreamcatcher's Estuary Honor on our site for testing I have been receiving some interest from others in help completing projects they have started and in hosting their "pilot" honors and other efforts. Our forum has had no activity on it though so I am not sure, inspite of the email I receive, just what kind of topic philosiphy and it's discussion would have. This place being for Pathifnders specifically seems like a better place; then there has been little discussion started in the Director's, Coordinator's and staff boards here that are related. Something about which I am a bit surprised.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:38 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I think the philosophy forum on pathfindering would be great - but then again, why not just have an additional bit on this forum linked to the main page?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2005 8:00 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I have found the "test". Well actually not. This is the address for the Church Heritage Manual. http://youth.gc.adventist.org/pathfinders/leadership_tools/pdfs/church_heritage.pdf
In the beginning it talks about getting one copy of the test when you purchase this manual. That you need to pass with 75%. So there is a test that can be taken, after being taught the class. BTW there are several other manuals on the GC web site
http://youth.gc.adventist.org/pathfinders/leadership_tools/lt_home.htm
It is worth taking a look at.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:37 am 
*adds Church Heritage to list of things to do* 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:33 am 
Superlative Voyager

:D I've been working on the Church Heritage for some time now. One of the members sat down with a charter member and wrote down a brief history of our church. It's facinating - and it's what I need to finish the Church History section.

I would love to post what I have to a word doc before I give it back. I'll see what I can do.

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:42 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Church heritage for our local church would be an easy ans fun thing to do. We officially became a chuch on April 29 this year. So we are charter members, which is very cool I think.

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:17 am 
Skillful Ranger

Just a little off topic, but does anyone have a scan or an image of the Church Heritage award badge ? I like to paste the images into my e-Pathfinder Diary for each honour/item earned, and I cannot find this one online anywhere.

Maybe I'll scan my sash :-)

Thanks all

FYI - we had a really cool thing last year, our conference (Alberta) planned the theme of our Pathfinder winter retreate (an annual conference event) and conference camporee around Church Heritage.

We only had to do a small amount of this award in the local clubs since most of the requirements were done at one of these two events.

This really helped us out, and provided the conference with a theme around which to plan activities.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 3:41 pm 
Master Guide

AdventSource has it online. I do not know how big it is, Lonny N may be able to send you a copy.

Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:47 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I didn't even know there was such a thing as the heritage award badge. Do you earn it when you complete the requirements for MG?