PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 11:06 am 
Superlative Voyager

I earned the physical fitness honor during the fall

It was fun

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:34 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Goodness, I'm glad I completed my Master Guide when I was a teen. I don't know if I'd be able to now. My poor body is aged far beyond my years. But need to start an exercise program anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:45 pm 
Master Guide

I thought I was on the way with the physical fitness requirement, but alas! Not quite!

Where I work, we started a 12-week program called 10K-a-day. All the participants were issued pedometers and were asked to record how many steps they took every day for 12 weeks, with the goal being to get at least 10,000 steps in each day (that's about five miles).

Well, I had already started a walking program of my own (having previously recognized my mostly sedentary lifestyle). So this was great for me - just keep on doing what I had already been doing, but record it in a competition.

The 12 weeks are over now, though the awards have not yet been handed out. Our HR administrator told me that I had won - I don't know if that was for the whole 12 weeks or just for the final four weeks. I WOULD have won the middle four weeks except that I did not email the record of one of my weeks in - I averaged 23K steps per day during those four weeks too. I sure THOUGHT I had emailed them in, but no. I didn't. I averaged 25K/day during the last 4 weeks though.

So I was thinking this would count until I re-read the requirement - it had to be AEROBIC! Not that I feel I wasted my time. I've kept up the walking even though the program has ended. In fact, today I walked along the back of a parking lot and was able to harvest a couple of sumac fruits (one staghorn sumac, one smooth sumac, neither poison sumac), some milkweed pods, and a handful of blackberries. Yes, I'm working on the Edible WIld Plant honor.

Anyhow, just to be safe, I'm getting the Kenneth Cooper book on aerobics. It has been ordered, but it has not yet arrived. I plan to jump right on that as soon as it comes in so I can get it over with before the weather gets cold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:34 pm 
Master Guide

I know when I fill I'm fit, when I go on vacation. This summer I went to South Dakota and Yellowstone National Park. In SD my niece and daughter were with me. In Rapid City had the opportunity to do a Geocaching in the President's City and also in the Mammoth Site. But anyway, my niece was the one that gained from that vacation. She lost some weight. She was happy about that and said that she was going to keep on doing some walk.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:29 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I still have not completed this requirment - I fell and sprained my knee and ankle, then I have developed back problems - getting some better so should get to it.

Awhile back I purchased this book and found it very helpful. Great perspective. It is by Kenneth Cooper as well
Faith-based Fitness The Medical Program That Uses Spiritual Motivation To Achieve Maximum Health And Add Years To Your Life

Arlene
Still working on my MG
Holly Herons, MI

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:53 pm 
New Friend

Hello,

I am new to the forum, but I think it is a wonderful resource. I've learned a lot by browsing through.

Right now, I am a TLT in the process of completing Master Guide. I was wondering if anyone knows whether the Fitness Lifestyle Developement absolutely HAS to be aerobic. Also, does it have to be the Cooper aerobic plan? Does "or it's equivelent" mean I can draw up another fitness program and submit that? The only reason I am asking is because I am almost completed my reqs excpet for that. But it's kind of hard to do aerobic excercise in the winter. (It's pretty cold where I am.)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:58 pm 
Master Guide

I started mine on Sep 25 and finished on Dec 25 (Christmas Day) in 2006. It got cold before I could finish, so I did most of it on a treadmill in the basement of my house. This winter I could have done it just by shoveling the sidewalk, the deck, or snowblowing the driveway (I have an old snowblower, and believe me, running that thing is an aerobic exercise). I am not exaggerating when I write that we have had snow every week this winter, and sometimes we've had two storms in a week. I've got four feet of snow in the backyard right now, and it has been raining all day (this storm has been mostly rain, but with a bit of sleet mixed in for tradition, I guess). My driveway is an ice canyon.

My point is that aerobic exercise can be any kind of exertion that gets your heart rate up for 20 minutes or more. The target rate is spelled out pretty well in the Physical Fitness honor, the answers to which you can find here. That means it could be jumping jacks for 20 minutes, though admittedly, that would be pretty boring.

The cold has not been a problem for me when I've been out this winter. I got into the habit of wearing my lightest jacket when I snowblow or shovel, because by the time I come in, I am drenched in sweat. You might be cold when you start exercising, but you are sure to not be by the time you finish. The body makes sweat to cool itself off.

My advice is to not take a shortcut on your MG. If you do, you will forever feel as if you didn't really earn it (or else, you'll find yourself making up the work later). I can tell you that when I finished mine, I knew I had met every single requirement, and it felt pretty good.

Besides, the weather should be warming up any time now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:32 pm 
Astute Guide

please nobody kill me after saying this... but I am glad that I was really young and in shape when I did this! It actually wasn't that hard... but again, I was young (in high school) and had lots of energy!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:27 am 
New Friend

Thanks,

I have no intention of taking a short cut, but I do need to know exactly what the expectation and the intention of the requirement is. Is it 20 minutes of heart rate-raising activity 3 times per week?

If it is, I may still be in trouble because I do not own a treadmill and I can't exactly go to a health club or anything. Does anyone think that calisthenics(push ups, sit ups, etc) qualify as aerobic excercise? Originally, I had drawn up a plan to do sets of push ups and sit ups three times per week for 30 minutes/day and I have been sticking to it for two months now. I know that it definitely raises my heart rate. These are the kind of exercises I am good at and that are accessible to me. Would they qualify?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:53 pm 
Master Guide

Sorry for implying that you were trying to take a shortcut.

As long as it gets your heart rate up for a 20 minute period, it counts as aerobic. The actual rate you need to achieve depends on your gender and age. For men, the target rate is 205 minus half your age times 80%. For women, it's (220-age) times 80%.

That's pretty much the crux of the Kenneth Cooper book, which the Physical Fitness honor appears to have been based on.

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:47 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Once again I am starting out on this. I was looking around at stuff I had downloaded and found this. It is aimed at older adults or those out of shape. It looks really good. I believe it fulfils the strength training and stretching portion of the fitness program. This is the part I have struggled to figure out how to accomplish. It is simple and slowly builds up – with my current level of unfitness it is within my reach.
http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/physical/growing_stronger/growing_stronger.pdf
Coopers book recommends a whole program: endurance, strength and stretching. It takes all to be “fit”. So any program that has you doing all three is what is intended. Doing only one of these does not produce overall fitness. Now most exercises include some of each with one being the main benefit of that exercise, so one needs to do a variety of exercises.
Another aspect presented in Cooper’s book is increasing fitness. So progress is needed during program, until you reach your desired level of fitness. (most of us are not aiming to be Olympic athletes, but rather to feel good and be able to participate in fun physical activities)
Endurance is the portion usually referred to as Aerobic. Walking is the easiest form of endurance.
http://www.thewalkingsite.com/beginner.html
This is a site with simple instructions on starting a walking program. It list either target heart rate or a simpler test of intensity of breathing but still able to talk method of ensuring an adequate cardiovascular work out. Click on the target heart rate to get more information.

Best wishes to all and God’s blessing –
Beloved, I pray that in all respects you may prosper and be in good health, just as your soul prospers
3 John 2 NASU

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:39 am 
Master Guide

I checked thewalkingsite website, it does has very good points on it. I will share it with some of the people that are working on their Master Guide.