Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Master Guide Induction
PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2005 5:38 am 
Participating Companion

Does anyone know if there is an induction ceremony geared just for Master Guides, PLA's and PIA's, for personnel working within a Master Guide club program? If anyone knows or has a copy of the format used, I would like to get a copy.

Thanks,

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 7:48 am 
Astute Guide

There was a specific Master Guide Induction ceremony at both DTP and FOF. I believe that Bill Woods was in charge of those ceremonies.

I don't think there is anything actually published.
The ceremony used at FOF should be on the Sabbath Morning Program DVD.

Mr. Mike

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:30 pm 
Master Guide

I am intrigued by this idea so I am exploring it more. Since there is truly a difference between induction and investiture which was done at the Camporees?

Since induction is into a "society" of sorts if a Master Guide Club exists at a location wouldn't they have induction for new members? Aren't thsese clubs for those working on their Master Guide as well as for Master Guides, meaning that even those on-track to investiture would be inducted?

Questions on the matter off of the top of my head as I am considering it and begining to explore the idea.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 6:44 am 
Astute Guide

Is my face red, I misread the question. :oops:
I just assumed investiture.
Induction is a different animal.
That is an interesting idea.

Mr. Mike

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 8:17 pm 
Participating Companion

Just to clarify, an induction program is what I am looking for here. No problem on the assumption, Mr. Mike. I'm counting on you and/or the fish to find this for me. :wink: Thanks in advance for both of your efforts.

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:09 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I just found out from my area cordinator that I can finish the MG card I've been working on since 99! He said the classes they hold at the leadership conventions haven't changed since I last heard it and I've been taking similar classes in college...

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 6:54 am 
Astute Guide

The induction services that I have conducted over the years are a welcome to members into a club (we add your light to our light). It is done mostly to benefit the "new" members to give them a since of belonging. There are provisions in the normal induction service for all classes including Master Guide. A little verbage for Master Guide, PLA, PIA might need to be added to the " . . . a course of study . . . " part of the service.

Are you wanting to do a separate induction for Master Guides?

Mr. Mike

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:39 pm 
Participating Companion

Yes, this induction would be just for MG's, PLA's & PIA's within the context of a Master Guide Club, not a Pathfinder Club. It may not even be a candle ceremony, but I would think that something significant would be done. If there isn't a separate service, I think that one should be created after adequate thought & form has been put into it.

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:18 pm 
Master Guide

I have been searching and I have found no recorded internet record of such an event any place. Dallas East Texas has an active or did have an active Master Guide Club and there are one or two at least in virtually every conference but I do not know of any of them that are using an Induction Service for their members.

It is traditional for a club to induct new members of all ages including Master Guide candidates into their clubs. Normally they would not include the adult staff personnel though.

If memory serves the Master Guide Clubs and renewable Master Guide concepts rolled largely out of So. Cal. Conference, maybe they have progressed to the point of imploying an induction I haven't found one.

I am not done looking and my brain has been setting the begining of an outline together so...

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:22 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I'm planning to be invested as A MG in May *crosses fingers* I hope to get the paper done.....

My course/hw load is insane.........

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:48 pm 
Master Guide

Cailin,

GIVE UP!

JUST KIDDING -

It is my personal view that you will do fine. It is also my personal view that school and work get in the way of perfectly good Pathfindering time. Then agian Pathfinders was my only consistant hobby growing up.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:21 pm 
Site Admin

This is NOT the official NAD statement, but is gleaned from conversations I have been a part of or have overheard among Conference / Union / Division Pathfinder and Youth Ministry leadership.

The Master Guide curriculum requires involvement in one of several branches of SDA youth ministry. You can't be invested as a Master Guide unless you're DOING ministry in one of these branches.

As such, it is NOT simply a club for its own purposes but rather a club of ministry to other ministries. Kind of like nurses -- there's no club to become nurses just to be certified nurses, but rather to be able to minister in healing ways to those who are physically injured.

As such, induction to Master Guide is probably a misnomer, since someone should have been inducted into PATHFINDER, ADVENTURER, YES CORPS, etc. PRIOR TO being invested as a Master Guide. :!:

Master Guide is the certification of completion of a certain set of skills that will assist in MINISTRY within that ministry (Pathfinders, etc.)

Hope this helps clarify things. :)

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject: Master Guide induction
PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:41 pm 
Participating Companion

Pathfinders, all that you have stated is absolutely correct, but you are still talking about investiture. I am talking about induction, which is the enrollment in a course of study accompanied by the candidate's confirmation of his/her willingness to adhere to a pledge and law as long as he/she is a Pathfinder. The induction focuses on the upholding of the principles upon which the club is founded whereas investiture awards the candidate for the successful completion of a course of study. I'm keeping the fleece out for something more definitive and creative on this topic. [/b]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 7:58 am 
Site Admin

Which makes me still wonder. . . How can a Master Guide be STARTING Master Guide, and not have any part in YES Corps, Pathfinders, or Adventurers? Each of THESE organizations has an induction that IF the hopeful Master Guide was going to begin and earn the Master Guide their first year as one of these organizations, COULD be inducted as a YES Corps, Pathfinder, or Adventurer.

I think some of your questions may arise out of the fact that many Master Guides no longer have ANYTHING to do with one of the above ministries, but simply are part of their own organization. Master Guide is training for service, not for status however, so becoming a Master Guide to hang out with Master Guides (if that is what you have implied) is not the ideal prospective Master Guides should strive for.

I would suggest that you reexamine the requirements for Master Guide and see how integral being involved in one of the above organizations is to even STARTING a course of study towards Investiture as a Master Guide.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:24 pm 
Master Guide

I have spent a fair amount of time thinking about this topic. I find I agree whole heartedly with Mark. The Master Guide is like a Deacon or an Elder to Youth Ministry. The purpose of trianing to become a Master Guide is to administer youth groups and minister to youth.

Each Master Guide Candidate young and old alike is to be inducted as such during the induction of the youth group or society the are working with. This may be a Pathfinder Club, Adventurer Club, Eager Beavers, YES Corp, AYS or AJY Society. If your church has none of these then it has 0 children. If even one child is in your church then there is a Children's Ministry or Youth Ministry and an appropriate support system should be given for that youth beyond Sabbath School basics. That youth should be provided access to the pre-AJY or AJY/AY classes and the leadership should be Master Guide or on their way to it.

I know of one church and I am sure there are more that is a "retirement" church. This is a church wherein the members are largely retired and there is no youth to speak of and even they have some youth. If you found yourself at a place where there are no youth and you are burdened to work in Youth Ministry then I recommend finding another local church to volunteer at or contacting the Local Conference Youth Dept. and asking to volunteer through them.

The purpose of a Master Guide Club should be only to facilitate the opportunity for structured learning as a Master Guide and to provide fellowship and continuing education opportunities to those who are Master Guides. Each member should or must be active in another Youth or Children's Ministry Department, club or division.

I suspect this may orginate elsewhere but the Arizona Conference Pathfinder Policy Book & Sectretary's Packet, 2002-2003 Revision, has this to say on the matter:

Quote:
Master Guide Clubs are being organized in our Conference... ...The role of the Master Guide Clubs are as follows:

1. All Master Guide Club members must be members of an organized youth club... ...in the Arizona Conference.

2. Master Guide Clubs are functionally organized to facilitate its members in achieving the Master Guide Award.

3. The Master Guide Clubs are not independent, separate or superior to organized youth clubs. They exist to serve the needs of the youth clubs of which they are members.

4. Master Guide Club members, in addition to providing assistance to their local youth clubs, will assist Conference Coordinators and Conference Leaders in accomplishing the work of the youth organizations in the Arizona Conference.

I would encourage every conference to adopt a similar policy or crede for themselves if they have not yet done so. Only in an extrodianry case should a Master Guide Club even exist with out being a distinctive part of one or more youth organizations in the church (because there are 0 youth). Under such circumstances it should be a "Conference Youth Department Master Guide Club" and the members should be subject to the regular use and assignment of the both the Youth Department and Children's Ministries Department as well as loanable to other departments such as ACS to assist in coordinating activities that youth will be involved in. In this case a VERY Pathfinder like induction might be held publicly at a local church or during a campmeetig for these people and it should be known to all that as inducted Master Guide Candidates they are in the service of the conference for youth ministries throughout the conference. The conference should not fail to use these people fully and regularly to assist in all youth and children's ministries whereever ther is a need.

These are my thoughts and perspectives. I hope they help, I believe now that a truly MG Induction service is falable. We do not earn our Master Guides for title, we do it to expand our competance; Master Guide is not a fraternal order rather a course of training for ministry and management. It should be treated this way.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:01 pm 
Participating Companion

I only had a question regarding the proper procedure by which a Master Guide starting his or her training could be recognized. Several in this forum have made erroneous assumptions regarding the intent of the program itself, which was never the issue.

hardworkin1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:44 am 
Astute Guide

The short answer seems to be there is no official recognition for a Master Guide starting his or her quest for Master Guide. Let us know what you end up putting together.

I have mentioned at Investiture that an individual has expressed an interest to work on their Master Guide, but that was no more than a passing comment. This is usually in the context of finishing their Guide class work and wanting to continue in the program.

Mr. Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:13 pm 
Master Guide

You seem offended, I am sorry. I see you are in Texas there is an apparently very active Master Guide Club their. The host of their website is a newer member here, the website is http://www.masterguides.org maybe you will find some guidance their.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject: Master Guide Investiture
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:44 pm 
Hello to all

This is my first time here and I just want to say hi to all of you.

Besides being a husband and a father of two little girls, I have the privilege of working for the Youth Ministry in the Texas Conference. I have worked in almost all the branches of the children and youth ministries, and currently I’m working in the Master Guide Ministry.

This Ministry seems to be new in the NAD but in fact is very strong in other divisions. One of the challenges that we have encountered is to understand what the Master Guides are and what is its purpose.

Members in this Ministry have the purpose to complete the course, learn new skills and develop methods so they can successfully lead in youth ministry, and therefore serve the church in all areas of the youth ministry. We have the mission to develop youth leaders.

In our conference, all the participants are required to complete this course within three years of commencement date and to be involved in any of the Youth ministries.
In the Texas Conference, we currently have about 25 active clubs in the Houston, San Antonio/Austin, Keene/Forth Worth and Dallas Area. The majority of the clubs are Hispanic but we have resources and material in both Spanish and English. Some of those resources, like programs and other materials, are in one language but we are working to translate it to either Spanish or English as necessary. So check our Website http://www.masterguides.org for updates. In the website, we just posted a suggestion for an Induction program. I hope you can use it as a reference. In the website, go to resources.

God bless

Alfredo Lopez
Dallas East Texas Master Guides

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:37 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Ok, I know I'm late to the topic, however, here are two ideas.

The first one is this, we don't have an induction for the kids starting their classwork, just induction into the club, so is an induction needed?

My second though is contradictory to the first, Starting the Master Guide class could be seen as a committment to ministry and a dedication of it's students doesn't seem out of line.

My opinion would be a simple dedication service during church, with a prayful challenge given to the new Master Guide students, and a show of support for their commitment.

Chelly