Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:58 pm 
Astute Guide

I have started working on MG recently and have found something that really helps me out with the Encounter devotional guide (and this would work for PLA and PIA since they use them too).

I didn't want to stop my regular devotion routine, nor add to it because it already takes an hour to and hour and a half.

So as a solution, I downloaded both the Bible and the Desire of Ages onto my Palm (see bottom of message), which I read while working (my job consists of monotonous, repetitive tasks which require no more visual supervision than a couple glances every now and then). Once I get into the book, it's fairly hands-free. It is also a great way to keep your mind focused on God throughout your day, and makes time go by faster (I started working 6 hours a day as opposed to the 4 I had been doing, and I was sure I wouldn't be able to make it through the day... as long as I read though, the work seems to take less time, and as long as I work, the reading seems to take less time).

I know that not everyone's job enables them to do this, but it works for me, and maybe would for other people too.

Here are the sites where you can download the Bible and EGW books for palm and similar devices:

EGW books: http://www.whiteestate.org/books/ebooks/ebooks.asp

The Bible: http://www.olivetree.com/ (go to the far right tab on the top, "Free Items", to find the free Bible versions)

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:46 pm 
Master Guide

That sounds like a great way to get through your reading. One idea that I've had is that it would be great if these could be podcasted. Then people could listen as they drive to work (or are driven to school).

I know there are copyright issues, so they would first have to be worked out with the White Estate and with a Bible publisher (unless the KJV were used). It would be great if these could be extended to cover the weekly reading for the AY classes as well.

If anyone out there has the ambition to take on such a project, it would be enormously helpful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 4:57 pm 
Master Guide

Woo hoo! Tuningpeg! I like the Olivetree site you shared with us. With it I found a version of the Bible with which I was unfamiliar - the World English Bible (WEB)

Quote:
The World English Bible project was started to produce a modern English Bible version that is not copyrighted, doesn't use archaic English (such as the KJV), or isn't translated in Basic English (such as the Bible In Basic English).

That would be perfect for podcasting (assuming the translation is decent). I'll have to check that out. After a little more digging, I found that the WEB website (http://www.ebible.org/) already has MP3's of selected passages. All that's needed now to make the AY class reading's podcastable is to pull it all together. All that's needed to podcast "Encounters" is permission from the White Estate and some elbow grease.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:45 pm 
Master Guide

Thats a great idea Jomegat. I know that many people have commutes, and listening to something in the car is such a blessing. It would also help them get MG requirements.

I also like your tunningpeg, thats using technology!

I just searched to see if EGW books had been put to audio. I know one of my friends had some of the books on audio. This is what I came across:

http://www.truthfortheendtime.com/DesireofAges.html

At the ABC there are several books on audio to buy:

http://www.adventistbookcenter.com/Browse.tpl?category=EWAU

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:34 pm 
Astute Guide

I know lots of people who have a hard time with the reading, and so I will have to talk to them about this idea, and I may use it myself for some of the PLA stuff. great ideas guys!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:20 pm 
Master Guide

Jim, I do not know how well it is being reworded but the translations it is based on are considered reliable. ASV is a standard Catholic Bible so that may bother some (until they actually read it).

I like the palm idea that is pretty cool. You can also purchase the complete writing of E.G. White on CD (text not audio) from Review as well.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell,
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:02 am 
Master Guide

I have found the complete bible, KJV in audio book format. I have it on my iPod... I love it! But... unfortunately... I shouldn't distribute it... that wouldn't be good.. :(

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 9:47 am 
Astute Guide

It's okay to distribute KJV I think... isn't it?

I agree, we have the NKJV Bible on CD, and it's nice to listen to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:05 am 
Astute Guide

If i'm not mistaken the KJV is the version that isn't picky about if you share it or not... I always found it funny that some had an issue with you sharing the Bible though...

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 10:08 am 
Master Guide

The KJV text is in the public domain, but a recording of someone reading it could be considered a performance, and therefore subject to copyright.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:08 am 
Master Guide

Too bad... cause I would gladly share it if it weren't copyrighted... that's a shame

you will not be burned;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:26 pm 
Master Guide

If a free (as in freedom) audio version of the Bible cannot be found, probably the next best thing to do is to record yourself (or someone else) reading the necessary passages from a free text version such as the World English Bible. I would really like to see podcasts of not only the Encounters Series, but also for all the AY Bible reading assignments (Friend-Guide). In reality, you'd only need to do Voyager and Guide, because Voyager=Friend+Companion, and Guide=Explorer+Ranger.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:02 pm 
Master Guide

jomegat wrote:
In reality, you'd only need to do Voyager and Guide, because Voyager=Friend+Companion, and Guide=Explorer+Ranger.

I didn't know that... wow... you learn something new everyday... I'll check and see what version I have and see if it is distributable...

you will not be burned;

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:51 am 
New Friend

Hey This is a great post I think you should keep on digging on this topic. I will start to see if I can find more about. great post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:09 am 
Astute Guide

I was reading the copyright info for the NIV version the other day... it seemed to me that you may quote as much as you want as long as the completed work isn't over 90% from the NIV Bible. Maybe someone with more knowledge of this kind of stuff could check up on that...? Here is the link where I was reading from.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:54 am 
Master Guide

NIV Zondervan Copyright:

Quote:
The NIV text may be quoted and/or reprinted up to and inclusive of one thousand (1000) verses without express written permission of the publisher, providing the verses quoted do not amount to a complete book of the Bible nor do the verses quoted account for 50% of the total total work in which they are quoted...

This means that you may not be able to use it for this purpose without permission. A quote is a part of a body of work, the reading list does not come with explanations or dissertation only the reading. Therefore unless the total number of words not form NIV (E.G. White) was greater than 50% of the work it would be a copyright violation (start counting) and unless the full book is not read it would be a copyright violation.

That does not mean that Zondervan would not readily give permission if a Representative of the church (NAD or better) asked them to. Zondervan works well with others.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:42 pm 
Participating Companion

Regarding the Bible on CD concept, I have the Desire Of Ages and Messages To Young People both on my iPod. They are available from my local ABC. I drive a lot for work (average 1000 miles a week) so this works great for me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:08 pm 
Astute Guide

There is a site called EllenWhiteAudio.org, which has Ellen White audiobooks free for download. They do not have Desire of Ages (required for MG), but they do have Acts of the Apostles (required for PLA) and Patriarchs and Prophets (required for PIA).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:56 pm 
Astute Guide

UPDATE TO THE ABOVE POST:

The Desire of Ages is now available on Ellen White Audio. So for those of you working on your Master Guide, you can download it in mp3 format and listen to it wherever you go on CD or you MP3 player/iPod.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:50 am 
Master Guide

Wow! Thanks for posting that Tuningpeg! I am most pleased that they are "licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License." That means it can be used in derivative works, such as collecting it all into a series of podcasts that follow the Encounters order.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 7:00 pm 
Astute Guide

I just found the following website which provides audio files of all the chapters in the Desire of Ages including the Bible chapters they are based on. That means that this series of files covers the entire Encounter I Bible reading plan. I thought it was pretty exciting, and a great resource for anyone working on this part of their Master Guide coursework.

http://www.thedesireofages.com/