Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Masterguide Emblem
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:19 am 
New Friend

The Pathfinder manual records the meaning of the pathfinder emblem and the Adventurers too. Can anyone provide an explanation of the masterguide emblem? The World with 6 stars and the octagonal shape.

S. Solomon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:50 pm 
Astute Guide

I'm not sure, but I think the six stars represent the six AY classes: friend, companion, explorer, ranger, voyager, and guide...

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:31 am 
Master Guide

But before the six AY Classes I think there was only five AY Classes. So, it that means that the emblem pin was change later?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:13 am 
New Friend

Thank you both. I wonder if the meaning could be explained in the Manual just as the Pathfinder emblem has been so clearly explained.

Shanthi

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:24 am 
Astute Guide

Yeah, I keep meaning to look at one while I'm at work, but I kept forgetting.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:02 pm 
Master Guide

The Meaning of the Master Guide Insignia:

The Master Guide Insignia of today is a decendant of something unkown or forgotten to many of the Pathfinder and youth leaders of today. Our origins are in the Missionary Volunteer Society. The emblem of a Hemisphere of the world with the letter M.V. overlaid on it is a symbol of the purpose and goals of M.V. To spread the advent message through all the world while not only bringing the gospel but also cultural development and education (this is the primary goal of many adventist missions today inlcuding youth and ADRA).

The original Master Comrade insignia was that hemisphere bordered by an octogon within it flanked by M V and Master Comrade. After the affliction of Soviet Communism (during the 1950's) became significant "Comrade" became a problem and eventually became Guide.

The earliest Master Guide emblme had a copy of the World Emblem Patch that had the M V overlay and was bordered the same way with only 4 stars. Previous assumptions are correct the pin has evolved with the addition of some classes new stars have been added (always even 4 now 6).

Eventually MV went away; for those of us who were Pathfinders in the 70's and 80's we lived the actual change in insignia and uniforms. The new World Patch came out and JMV and MV disappeared from our pins and patches. Although the missison is the same and some of our items still bear the remnants of the MV and JMV insignia they have changed many times along the way.

Although I know the above to be accurate the old manuals were not detailed in the meaning of emblems and insignia. Some things may be lost to time if those of you who have access to those who are the pioneers of the mission don't seek them out. I do not know why the emblem is an octogon or why there is a field of blue. I do know if there was a significance to the colors of the original classes or if it was simple a choice of color. I can tell you that being a Master Guide mattered more then than now. It was a requirement of eligibility to lead in youth and junior youth ministries even for Sabbath School Superintendant.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:11 pm 
Astute Guide

thanks for telling us that chris, i've often wondered what the answer to this question was myself.

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 3:31 pm 
Skillful Ranger

fish wrote:
The Meaning of the Master Guide Insignia:

I do not know why the emblem is an octogon or why there is a field of blue. I do know if there was a significance to the colors of the original classes or if it was simple a choice of color.

Would is be reasonably safe to guess that the blue and gold would have the same meanings they do now on the other emblems ?

Blue (Loyalty)
It is the purpose of the Pathfinder Club to help teach us to be loyal to:
Our God, our parents, our church

Gold (Excellence)
The Pathfinder Club has high standards to help build strong character for the Kingdom of Heaven

I've also read of at least one group who uses the octagon as a symbol, and they give the octagon the meaning of multi-dimensional generalism. The idea that specialization has lead to the inability for a single person to solve a complex problem, and a person with wider knowledge would be able to.

I'd say that a Master Guide would need to have some knowledge in many areas, and the ability to use this multi-dimensional personality to solve complex problems.

I'm not saying this is where the MG octagon came from, but it kind of fits :-)

Last edited by Gerald G on Mon Jun 25, 2007 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:15 pm 
Master Guide

I simply do not know on the shape as for color; you are likely right Gereld.

God Bless,

Chris

Post subject: Re: Masterguide Emblem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:24 am 
New Friend

nathanshan wrote:
The Pathfinder manual records the meaning of the pathfinder emblem and the Adventurers too. Can anyone provide an explanation of the masterguide emblem? The World with 6 stars and the octagonal shape.

S. Solomon

:mrgreen: For more information on MG, this site is qiute good http://www.masterguides.org/ :lol:
God Bless

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:45 pm 
Astute Guide

i'm sure it will be even better when it has more info on the site!

Explorer Counselor
Master Guide

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:20 pm 
Participating Companion

This is idea like explain why MG emblem is octagon

"I saw the rapidity with which this delusion was spreading. A train of cars was shown me,
going with the speed of lightning. The angel bade me look carefully. I fixed my eyes upon
the train. It seemed that the whole world was on board. Then he showed me the conductor, a
fair, stately person, whom all the passengers looked up to and reverenced. I was perplexed
and asked my attending angel who it was. He said, "It is Satan. He is the conductor, in the
form of an angel of light. He has taken the world captive. They are given over to strong
delusions, to believe a lie that they may be damned. His agent, the highest in order next to
him, is the engineer, and others of his agents are employed in different offices as he may
need them, and they are all going with lightning speed to perdition."
Early Writings
by Ellen G. White

"In many parts of the world, stop signs are in the shape of a regular octagon." (from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octagon)

Ps.46:10 "10 "Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth." "
Jer. 6:16 16 "This is what the LORD says: "Stand at the crossroads and look; ask for the ancient paths, ask where the good way is, and walk in it, and you will find rest for your souls. But you said, 'We will not walk in it.'"
May be it is not exelent texts because in russian version the word "stoped" has used

and we like s signals must guide people to God. We must make a stoppoints in our life to see did we go right way

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:53 pm 
Astute Guide

That is a beautiful thought! I had never thought about it like that before...