[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Multiple club march

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Multiple club march
PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2004 9:11 pm 
Helpful Explorer

In Tucson, Arizona we recently joined 6 clubs together to march in the Veterans Day Parade. We had 85 Pathfinders and 10+ staff participate. It was quite a sight! We were going to march as a club, but then we had an idea to get all of the city clubs together (2 clubs were unable to participate). We even had a business donate a vinyl banner that says "Tucson Area Pathfinders" with the Pathfinder NAD logo on it. It was great to see all of these Pathfinders interacting with each other. Sometimes we forget that we have brothers and sisters just minutes away going through the same struggles that we go through. It's great for the Pathfinders to see that they are not alone. We had TLT's be flag bearers. It was a great success. I encourage others to get together with their local clubs to march in an event together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 8:05 am 
Skillful Ranger

My conference has been having the TLT's run the flag ceremony and parade at our conference camporees for as long as I've been a TLT, perhaps longer. They also have us set up and run the sunday events. It is a lot of fun. We also are commonly detailed for the conference colorgaurd for said parades, which is cool. We get to wear white berets, white gloves, and white colorguard cords. The cords are normally worn on the left shoulder, but since the TLT's already wear a red/black one on that shoulder, we all wear them on the right shoulder instead. :)

Cailin Gerrans

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:26 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:31 pm 
Astute Guide

Really? In my club, we have a separate drill team for TLTs and older pathfinders because there are so many interested!

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 9:04 pm 
Master Guide

I wish that were true in our club. The teens don't get that interested or as involved sometimes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:59 pm 
Master Guide

My clubs teens love to march. It didn't come naturally though. I found when I allowed them to march each other, they got excited.

At the beginning of a marching period we have a Simon says drill down. Whoever is out last is the drill master. They all try hard, and have all learned to march each other well. There is less goofing off usually also.

They also enjoy thinking up and doing fancy moves.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:39 pm 
Astute Guide

Yeah, fancy moves are awesome... unfortunately I am the only one in my club who has ever done any. I actually really don't like Simon Says; we just have regular drill downs, and it has the same effect. The reason I don't like it is that I have trained myself to move based on what is said--I don't even think about it. The commander says something, and I do it. So in Simon says, even though I hear when the commander doesn't say "Simon Says", and I know I shouldn't move, I have already moved before I even fully process the command. (Does that make any sense? I'm not always the best at expressing myself.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:34 pm 
Master Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:31 pm 
Astute Guide

Yeah, I know what you mean... when my conference has their teen drill downs, usually a lot of people are out right away, but there are always about 5-8 who drill for 10 minutes (okay, maybe not quite) before the drill master finally calls it a cat's game. Sadly (well, maybe not), most of them are all from my club

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 8:42 pm 
Master Guide

We have drill downs with our club almost every week. After a while it gets really hard to get people out. We recently found that our PF's could be "tricked" by calling for a Left or Right Flank when they were at attention. "Flank" sounds enough like "face" that you really have to pay attention. But even that doesn't work anymore.

Another thing we do when we get down to two people is have them face one another. Then when we call the facing commands they have to think about them for themselves and cannot rely on watching what the other person does (since they have to turn in opposite directions when a "left face" is called). There's probably a lesson there.

We have also instructed our PF's that when they march in place they need to check their distances and adjust if necessary. So after marching them around a bit we call "mark time, march" followed by a "ready, halt." Then "dress right, dress" or "cover", and if they have to make a significant adjustment, they're out. Of course it's very nice if you tell them ahead of time that that's what will happen. Otherwise, you will have some unhappy ranks and files!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:50 am 
Master Guide

Good ideas jomegat, we do things like that to be tricky. It is also important to be attune to the slightest mishap.

One that worked good for a while was present arms. The command for putting arms down is order arms, but saying ready front (command for dress right dress) would confuse the ranks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:37 am 
Astute Guide

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:13 pm 
Master Guide

Drill downs are a great way to keep up the practice required to remember the moves. I am having trouble motivating my team again. They were doing really well for a while. But, then Christmas break came...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:56 pm 
Astute Guide

Ooo, Christmas break sometimes does more damage than good...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:09 pm 
Master Guide