[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Pathfindersonline • View topic - Camporee Drill

Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Camporee Drill
PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 9:39 am 
Skillful Ranger

At the spring camporee, one of the events will be freestyle drill. This involves the whole club. So far, our routine is coming along nicely.

Cailin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:53 am 
Skillful Ranger

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 1:05 am 
Participating Companion

I was never a pathfinder as a kid.
I was at FOF in '04 and DTP in '99.
Wishing '09 to be in Heaven...Or Idaho.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:18 pm 
Superlative Voyager

That's interesting Cailin. I wish our club could get that good. We're still on the basics and for some, a little advanced. I would love to get freestyle. I think that marching would no longer be so boring and lose so much interest.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 7:32 pm 
Master Guide

Freestyle drill is great but it is not for every one. Those who truly want to do it are good at it, freestyle drill or advanced drill requires as much practice as learning a new instrument or language. For those who want to do it if you can find a creative leader it is well worth while.

This advanced drill team can or should be your honor guard for ceremonies and other endeavors, that will keep interest up. You should also take advantage of their talant to help teach drilling and marching in the rest of the club. An entire club effort can become cumbersome for freestyle drill, unless you limit most of them to little movement it will not look well practiced. It can look well practice if you have enough time, say 3 or 4 hours a day. Smaller teams have the ability to do more complicated movements with fewer mistakes, what judges are looking for at the fair. Good or bad they will be judged and an unprepared group can take a hit in there morale if they are judged harshly.

I always enjoyed drill and once upon a time was on an award winnning team. It is worth it.

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:21 am 
Skillful Ranger

The freestyle driil is for a camporee event. Our club also has an advanced drill team. ;)

Central NH Flames

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:06 pm 
Participating Companion

The way to get the boring (not OR) out of drill is to get the Pathfinders involved in creating the new moves. Then everyone gets lessons on group process too. There is a lot of brain storming by the drill group. Then it becomes a group project, not a leaders favorite move that he tries to get others to carry out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:38 pm 
Superlative Voyager

I have a wonderful little update to share! Our club is finally into freestyle! We will be performing on May 14 for the church as a closing to the Pathfinder year. We may even get a chance to perform at Dothan investiture. What are we doing you ask? Well, it's a really cool move - incorporating a circular formation march with a "to the wing" command. When the circle is formed, we do a couple of "to the rear" marches. When we're going back the way we began(circle clockwise) the call for to the wing march is made, at which point we do a 90* turn and take 5 steps(counted on each left step). At the end of the 5, we do a 180* and take 5 steps back and then immediatly turn 90* to begin the circle again. We then do a end of circlular formation. It's really cool. Words don't do the drill justice.

Marcie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:54 pm 
Master Guide

Marcie,
I can picture it in my head. That sounds cool!

Best wishes for success in your exhibition.

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 8:37 pm 
Helpful Explorer

nwpathfinder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:20 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Central NH Flames

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 1:31 pm 
Helpful Explorer

I remember a really cool move as a youngster before I was old enough for Pathfinders. I don't know how well it would go over these days. The pathfinders marched in a circle. Comming to a halt, they each sat on the knees of the person behind them.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 10:04 am 
Master Guide

Back in the days, one of our teens when I was still a junior, got an idea, I think his pasion with Gymnastics influenced him a bit! We have done it twice as a freestyle team.

It involves 4 big, buff, strong guys. and for of the newest, littlest pathfinders. It is a two high, the young kid sitting on the teens sholders.

We have long black skirts that go from the kids waist on top of us all the way down to the person on the bottoms ankles. They are see though from the inside but not the outside, so us guys underneath can see were we are going. The pathfinder on top wares his dress uniform, we have usualy done the sashes of the pathfinder teen underneath. It looks really cool and weird.

We do basic movements like Dress right dress, cover and present arms, hand salute with the kid on top and we do all the marching.

It is sure to place well and turn a lot of heads. :idea: :shock:

Try it! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:08 pm 
Master Guide

:x Yea it took some indurence!! And you can only do so much at a time.

Most of our practice was with out the kid on top. Figuring out our ruteen and getting things presice. :wink:

:shock: :oops: :idea: :mrgreen: It shure made for an awesome marching group and the judges let a bit more stuff go because of how amasing it was :lol:

I mean some people thought we coudn't even see from inside the black material of the skirts :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:27 pm 
Helpful Explorer

nwpathfinder

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 1:52 pm 
Participating Companion

hey
i heard the samoans are really good. my cousin drilled the squad and i think they got 2nd or 3rd place i dont remember. i really wanted to to see the samoans they sounded really cool.

if anyone has any fancy or freestyle drill moves please tell me. thanx :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 7:49 am 
Superlative Voyager

The group isn't Pathfinders, but..... There is a group in South Central Chicago, (It is a non religious youth group) that are a drill team. They have some amazing moves. They preform in Wisc Dells at the end of Summer parade. Look to some of your local parades for Drill Team preformances , I know you will get some ideas. A few years ago we visited Washington, DC and saw the Marines at the Iwa Jima (sp?) memorial. They put on a great show. You get ideas from watching others, and the great thing is, you can modify the moves to fit your group. That way the routine now belongs to you.

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 5:35 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Well, I was drill master for the first time this past fair. I led my group of 5 in a 50's style fancy drill!!! I had the time of my life. The girls wore poodle skirts and the guys jeans and white tees...and we all had sunglasses! Our moves had 50s names. We didn't do a lot of intricate things but we managed a basket weave and a few circle moves. My favorite was called "Twist and Shout." You start out marching and you call it on the right foot. Then you step out to the corner with your left foot and twist...got all the way around so that you hit all four corners. At the end, you put your arm in the air and shout, "Hey!" :smt041
We got 1st place!!! I was so excited!!! Anyways...I love freestyle drill teams!!! :D

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:43 am 
Superlative Voyager

If they have them in your area... they have many in mine lol... are juvenile hall boot camps.

They can DRILL AND MARCH. At the annual veteran's day parade, they clean up against all the ROTC, Pathfinder, Scout, and High school drilling and marching teams. But then again... they have all day to practice lol

Central California Conference

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 7:10 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:36 pm 
Helpful Explorer

"Don't wait for the one you can live with, wait for the one you can't live without."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 11:00 am 
Superlative Voyager

OK- we have lots of new drills thanks to my advanced team's brainstorming. We're not allowed to do any greek or dance steps, it means points taken off.

Anyways:

Radial March - take 4 right flank turns to wind up back in the same direction you started from.

PT March - first row takes 2 right flank steps, scooting over just a bit, the rest follow, you will have to pass others following you.

Reverse PT March - similar to above except last line executes PT at the same time 1st line is. It literally is reversing the formation: The last line becomes the first line.

To the wing/Circular formation - same as a prev post but taking only 3 steps, turning to the rear on the 3rd step.

In line to the middle March - Similar to Inline marching, but to the middle instead of to the side. Pattern is: Middle, Right, Left. Group formation is obtained by the following pattern after the command (group formation) is given: Right, Left, Middle. It's really cool.

Left(right) box flank march- Execute left (right) box step first, but lead out with the normal trailing foot to execute flank to end the step.

We're going to be performing this at the upcoming Gulf States Camporee. Hope to see you there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:33 am 
Helpful Explorer

Wow freestyle sounds fun.I wish we had a clud big enough to pull marching off. But it's only my family.so how can you have 3 people march for advanced.cause I really don't know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 11:54 am 
Master Guide

For sweetlips101's sake I am going to admit having seen a Hillary Duff(?) movie. Don't hold it against me, sometimes I get bored.

The movie is a Disney flick called Cadet Kelly. I mention it because it is actually a good movie for several reasons; as it applies to sweetlips101, you can indeed accomplish some fancy drill solo are with a team as small as two.

Some of the other reasons are demonstrated in the learning of self discipline and achievement through challenge. We as leaders must always keep our kids challenged.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell