Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Aug 20, 2019 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Eyes Right/Eyes Left
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:09 pm 
Helpful Explorer

Ok, once again, new club, same position as drill instructor. Question, on the "Eyes Left" or "Eyes Right" that is used for parades, do you salute along with turning the head 45 degrees in the direction directed? Or not? I need to clear this up before next weekend please!

Post subject: Re: Eyes Right/Eyes Left
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:19 pm 
Master Guide

My understanding is that only the DI salutes. I'll check the Drill Manual tomorrow if I remember.

Also, I don't think "eyes left" is a legitimate command.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:49 am 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Jomegat is stated it correctly. There isn't an "eyes left" command/movement in Pathfinders, only an "eyes right." Also, only the drill instructor or leading individual salutes.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:45 pm 
Participating Companion

To supplement the above explanations: It is correct that according to the NAD Pathfinder Drill Manual, that only the person who is in charge of a group renders the hand salute on the command "Eyes Right." If Colors are present, they render the appropriate honors and guidons would assume "present guidon." The head turn is not intended to render any sort of honors, only to enable ranks to make sure the rank is perfectly straight and looks good.

While the command "Eyes Left" does not appear int eh Pathfinder Drill Manual, I have found no indication either from Pathfinder sources or anywhere else that it is an "illegal" command. If a Pass and Review are set up properly, an "eyes left" command would never be used.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:26 am 
Helpful Explorer

Ok, thanks. So, to add onto my last question. Who would salute... me (the DI) or the director as stated in the drill manual? Just wanting to make sure its all right.

Thanks so much!
~a-very-much-newbie-DI Greeny

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:27 pm 
Participating Companion

That Pathfinder Drill Manual has a short-falling in that it assumes that the Club Director is the person who is in charge of all drill within the club. There are no issues if that is the case but is not so for many clubs.

Generally, the highest "ranking" staff within a formation is the one who is in charge of the formation and would then be the person calling the commands (and by extension, the one who salutes). If this is a pass and review, then that is usually the club director. There are some issues with this arrangement though, since in many formations, the Director's post is in front of the club and behind the colors. Very few directors can effectively call commands from this position.

Here is the way I have figured out is the best while still maintaining the correctness of the drill manual. Place the director in front of the line of guidons (assuming units are formed in column). The director calls the preparatory command with the head turned to the right (appropriate for this formation) and the guidon bearers execute raise guidon and wait for the command of execution. All pathfinders and staff to the rear of the guidons are aware that the eyes right movement is coming and know that when they see the guidons raised, that is the preparatory command. When the guidons drop on the command of execution, the rest of the formation sees and executes the movement at the same time. The process is reversed for "ready front."
Hopefully this will allow for proper execution of the command and solve the issues of hearing a command called from the front of the formation while at quick time.

You may want to contact someone from your local conference to see if there are specific regulations you need to follow. I have found that different conferences tend to have wildly different interpretations and standards.