Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:24 pm 
Master Guide

Norma Salin from ADRA developed several honors a few years back and GC recognizes them now. I used a number of them about 2.5years ago and they were great.
Why post this here and not in honors?

Because they are outreach honrs wholly and truly. If you have kids who like to get patches and have no found the spirit of God for there motivation yet then consider these honors. Patches may be the incestive for now they will grow in the spirit in time. They are a good way to do outreach.

If you are not sure about the best outreach you can do for your area then start with COMMUNITY ASSESSMENT, it will help you get to know your community and the needs of those in it.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject: ADRA Honors?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 2:01 pm 
New Friend

"Norma Salin from ADRA developed several honors a few
years back and GC recognizes them now."

Which ones are the ADRA honors? Are they in the list of topics on this web site?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:09 pm 
Master Guide

The ADRA Honors are likely to land in Outreach Ministries in the end, for now they are under their own catagory at the GC Website:

http://youth.gc.adventist.org/pathfinde ... tegoryID=1

This is the full list and the requirements. They are likely still available at http://www.adra.org as well.

They are not yet on pathfindersonline though and were adopted after the last publication of the Honors Handbook. I hope NAD will see fit to put out a supplement this Summer so leaders can obtain it during the off season since so many new honors have been added in the NAD and at GC.

The honors are:
Community Assessment
Community Service
Crisis Intervention
Disaster Response
Hunger Relief
Refugee Resettlement
Rural Development
Tutoring
Urban Development

I and some of my Pathfinders completed 7 of them while they were still in the pilot phase; Community Assessment and others are a great way to get out and organize your service efforts with focused purpose by identifying the greatest needs.

FOR ZIP CODE DEMOGRAPHICS IN OUTREACH EFFORTS: (As I have never found them to be currently available through Adventsource)
http://www.city-data.com scroll down to zip codes and select the zip code(s) you are looking for. You will get a map, arial picture, and general demographics all helpful and requirement fulfilling information.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:31 pm 
Site Admin

As I understand it, the ADRA honors were not piloted in a way consistent with NAD Pathfinder Philosophy and objectives.

I believe the AY Honors Committee would be very interested to have formal written reports (as specific as possible) of how the ADRA honors worked for your club and how/when/methods you used to teach them.

We would love to pass them and then publish them on the NAD site, but we need to make sure they are "doable" by our Pathfinders.

Thanks for the feedback you can give.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:59 pm 
Master Guide

I taught several to varying group sizes. Norma had/has them available at the ADRA site and each had an evaluation form. I will dig through my records and see what kind of coherent answers I can give you, I am happy to be of help, if I can be.

I beleive if you can get hold of Norma Sahlin at ADRA (assuming she is still there - if not I suspect she is still findable as both she and her husband are authors in the church) she may have others to offer to the NAD committee. I thought when I saw that GC had adopted them, the reviews she had gathered were reviewed by them. As a result it did not occur to me that NAD's committee was left in the dark, I do think NAD will want to alter the patches so they fit the normal fromat as ADRA oriented in a vertical fashion.

I have never heard of anyone else who has used them, so I will ask around the world with some of my friends who are leaders internationally.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 4:08 pm 
Master Guide

I never could find the notes from teaching these honors. I guess I misplaced them after the year ended - sorry. I do recommend them though so I hope that clubs can find the opportunity to test them and send feed back up to NAD. About now some of those skills would be helpful to those living in the Southland.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:49 am 
Skillful Ranger

I don't know if I mentioned this in the forums or not yet, but this thread looks like a good place to tell this story.

One year ago, at Alberta (Canada) camp meeting, my wife and I earned two ADRA honours by attending daily sessions all week presented by James Astleford of ADRA Canada. James is the media contact or director of public relations or some such title.

We were lucky enough to also have him and his wife to our camp for lunch one afternoon. As we ate, he explained that he had (the previous spring) been to the Manitoba/Saskatchewan Pathfinder camporee and taught two honours to the Pathfinders during camporee. The entire Camporee had been themed around "Service to Others", and the Pathfinders had done actuall community work, and learned a lot about developing nations, etc. in the weekend.

When Alberta was planning their spring camporee for 2007, I mentioned this concept at the directors meeting, and it was well enough liked that we decieded to try the same thing here in Alberta. Our Youth director made arrangements for James to come, and planned community service events, and themed the whole weekend the same way.

I personally found the camporee to have been an excellent theme. The Pathfinders did indeed get a chance to compare their homes and lifestyles against those in developing places, and many talked about how good they actually have it here in Canada.

We all worked on/earned the Disaster Response and Rural Development honours, because as ADRA sees it, Disastor Response does not really happen without Development.

Even going over the requirements for the second time, I learned a lot, and was reminded again of the things I learned the first time around.

Here is our camporee badge from this spring camporee.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:49 am 
Master Guide

Thats cool.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:46 pm 
Skillful Ranger

Just to add one detail....

I re-read my post, and realized that I had not mentioned what a great presenter James was, and what a great presentation he brought with him.