Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 8:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:25 pm 
New Friend

Disclaimer: I know this forum calls for ideas that have worked. This idea has had some direct success for our club, but its full application is still a work in progress.
_____
Background:
For the past 5 or so years, our Pathfinder Club has participated in the Fresno Veteran's Day Parade. It has developed into one of the largest in the nation, billed locally as the largest because there were some 6500 participants this year (I don't know enough about other places to substantiate this). This year, the crowd was estimated to be about 45,000 strong ahead of time, but there were certainly more there than in previous years. It was broadcast by the Pentagon to every US installation in the world as well as by Comcast, the local NBC affiliate, and over 10,000 affiliated stations across the country.

The past 3 years, we have invited the other Pathfinder and Adventurer clubs in the area to join us and march behind the conference banner. We register, dispense event information as it comes to us, and help to organize the groups into something that looks more or less coherent. Participation has ranged between 130 and 180 people and consisted of 1-2 flatbed trailers/floats with Adventurers (combined clubs), up to 6 Pathfinder clubs marching, a class from the local Adventist Academy, and this year, about 20 Veteran's from the area churches representing every major conflict from WW2 to Desert Storm. We were even honored to have MaderaPF's club join us this year. :D Participation was too much fun to keep to ourselves, but there were also other reasons for expanding the scope.
____
Outreach Rationale:
- VISIBILITY/SUPPORT. There is nothing like a parade to show broad support for your local community. And there is something about Veteran's Day that brings about solidarity like few other holidays. So first, it tells the community that the Seventh-day Adventist Church is there, and that we are a support for the community.

In our case, the multiple clubs/entities also show that our church has a unity of purpose. We work together.

- INFORMATION/INVITATION. The announcers read a synopsis of our group, written by us. In this way, viewers learn about Pathfinders/Adventurers; that it's Sponsored by the SDA church, that it develops kids into well rounded people, and that the clubs are open to anyone who wishes to join.

In addition, we hand out informational flyers that provide basic information about the organization and contact information for each of the clubs in the area through their local churches. In this way, they get an idea of the scope of the Church, and it gives them options for follow up depending on their location/ethnicity/primary language.

- EVANGELISM. If someone follows up, the church has a contact. If they join a club, you have a soul that God put in your way just because you were willing to go for a 'walk' with some of your friends during your day off. Praise God, Go to it, and make sure to target the member's family as well! :) There is no higher calling, and the time is short.
____
Application:
We should have printed flyers in the thousands, because the 750 we had were not nearly enough. There are certainly many things which can be improved on, but it's a start. There certainly is potential to grow it significantly. Say, add more veterans, clubs, academys, and organizations like Disaster Response... in a more coordinated and unified package. The opportunities are endless, but the purpose remains the same.

Success:
I have not heard from the other clubs. However, we have an Adventurer Staff member who helps to lead the program, a Pathfinder (now turned staff), and an Adventurer, simply because they saw us in the parade and went out of their way to follow up with us 2 years ago. The 'Adventurer family' now attends our SDA church. May there be many more!!!
____

Post subject: Service that is WORKING
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2005 11:32 pm 
Site Admin

DirNavigator,

Your ongoing service project is SO COOL. May God continue to bless.

I'm forwarding this story to Elder Black. I think he'll be excited.

Mark O'Ffill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:40 pm 
Helpful Explorer

We also participate in the Tucson Veteran's Day Parade. The Tucson area Pathfinder clubs all get together and march as one big group. We have done this now for two years. I think it's great that other Pathfinders see that there are other groups within the city. I have never thought of Adventurer Clubs though, that's a thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2006 1:19 am 
Superlative Voyager

AMEN TO THAT! I WAS THERE WITH DIRNAVIGATOR!

It was really good, and people who didn't know that I was going to the parade, or even involved in Pathfinders saw us on the local cable channels. It was a really good visibility tool for your club. It also gave us a good deal of credibility in the area as we could add it to our "community resume" that we have so far.

Central California Conference