Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 8:23 am 
Superlative Voyager

When we take our kids out can collecting, we hand out sharing books, as well as brochures that tell about pathfindering, what we have done during the past year, what we have planned for the next year, and contact phone numbers.
Then we let the kids pack the food boxes, ( as a Pathfinder, we always turned the cans over to community services, and That bothered me, I wanted to see the project through to the end) and the Pathfinders deliver the boxes the Sabbath before Thankgiving. In the food boxes we include a sharing book, and an invitation to a Christmas party.
At the Christmas party, the Pathfinders provide gifts for the children of the families, and I usially put together baked itmes for the parents. We serve them dinner, have a story, do a craft, and let them open their gifts.
In the spring we make contact again, and invite them to a church social, or a kids get together, or just visit again with a pie or more baked goods.
This brings us to summer and Vacation BIble School, and Summer Camp. One year we had a bake sale to raise money to sponsor community kids to camp. Our group of 6 raised enough money for 2 kids to go to camp with them.
In summery, you have 5 months of community service activities, plus the opportunity to complete several other requirements. We have met families of other cultures, and one of the classes, needs to make a new friend through a share your faith activity and make 3 additional contacts.
This plan produced a community service program that the Pathfinders were excited about, and helped me as a leader connect the AY program to daily living.

Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 10:12 am 
Participating Companion

Can collecting earns more than people would think. My 10 year old sister raised all of her money for Oshkosh and half of the money for my 14 year old sister. That was only in our neighborhood and not even everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:09 pm 
Master Guide

After doing our annual can collection a couple of years ago, we coordinated with ACS at the church and found a few families outside the membership of our church that could use a bit of extra help. ACS notified the families we were interested in helping ahead of time so we could see to it they would be willing to have our Pathfinder group to their home and that someone would be their. It takes some planning and even then it is not flawless.

Using the inventory we collected, some supplemental goods such as milk that we bought and trading inappropiate items with proper ones from the ACS pantry we put together a full holiday style dinner for each of the families; in most cases enough food to feed them for about a week as well.

It is a good experience for the Pathfinders, because they get an opportunity to see the end to the means and gain a respect and appreciation for their effort in collecting they may not have otherwise had. In addition to delivering the food we pray with the family and invite them to bring their kids to our club(s) and any other events we might have comming up at the church.

By reaching to those that ACS is helping who are not members it gives us an opportunity for true outreach. And it also avoids the awkwardness that sometimes occurs when providing for church members in this fashion.

God Bless,

Chris Fishell
Xtreme Youth Resources International

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 5:36 pm 
Superlative Voyager

We collected our family contacts for the Family Resource Center, the coordinate food giving programs in our area. And they usually give us info about the family, number of kids, ages, and so on. We have the church members supplement with fresh produce, and we usually send enough food per family for a week or so as well.
Chelly

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:31 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
Can collecting is a great way to provide service to the community. Unfortunately, (or fotrunately, depending on how you look at it) the SDA Academy that I go to has a really big can drive that it does every year. The just about clean up every neighborhood in the county.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 8:21 am 
Master Guide

Yeah, and because of that academy. Our club no longer does can collecting... but we do do a free for the community Fall Festival, the week of Halloween, as a halloween alternative. We give out candy, do face painting, caramel apples, popcorn, pumpking painting, giant inflatible slides, and anything else the kids think up that is logistically possible...

they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire,
you will not be burned;
the flames will not set you ablaze”
Isaiah 43:1-3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:57 pm 
Master Guide

Location: Carolina Conference, Southern Union Conference, NAD
It works pretty well. As long as I have been at the club, the event has grown every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:39 am 
Master Guide

I have found collecting food for the needy from the community is a awesome outreach! It takes planning and such. But the pathfinders have really enjoyed it! It helps the community learn about pathfinders. Doing it in dress uniform is good also.

We pass out the bags on our club night during the week, and pick them up on the weekend. We have found this very successful. Giving people time to shop, they usually give more. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:01 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Our club is going out to collect cans on Oct 31. For one, it's a normal wednesday night meeting for us - and 2, it's a great way to share God's promise on a day normally not made out for Him. We'll be in Class A uniform and we have a mascot - my daughter (who is an Eager Beaver). We'll be getting together with the local church disaster service to get the Thanksgiving baskets together for the needy. I think this is one of our best outreaches we ever do during the year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:13 am 
Astute Guide

I was in a club that did their collecting on Halloween night once. The leaders told us not to accept candy when it was offered, and to just tell people we weren't in it for the candy. If you choose to do that, you should also realize that if a person is insistent on giving a kid some candy, they will. I once had someone put a few candy bars into my can bag while I looked away for a sec. Just don't refuse candy to the point of being rude. Lol...

But yes, collecting food on Halloween is an excellent way to spread God's love.

We do our can collecting during the first couple weeks of November. We pass out flyers one Wed. night telling people that in a week we'll be coming back and to have the food out by their curbs and what-not. Then we come back the next Wed. and pick it up. Then we donate it to the GNCC and the food bank.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:21 pm 
New Friend

Adding "Bibles for Africa" to can collecting is a great community out-reach program. It is a great way to show the Pathfinders involvement locally and globally. Visit http://www.remnantpublications.com and contact me at ken@rpmail.info. We will send you the DVD to view about the project and Bulletin inserts to staple to the collection bags. Every club that participates we will send sets of pocket books to put in the food baskets. Just let me know how many bags you plan to set out and how many food baskets you are going to deliver. May God Bless our Pathfinders and our Leaders efforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:00 am 
Master Guide

I'll get in contact with you, and we'll do this next fall when my club can collects.