Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Biblical Newscasts
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:38 pm 
Master Guide

This year for Pathfinder Sabbath, our club did a TV-type newscast - but set in ancient Egypt during the ten plagues. The premise here is that ancient Egypt had television news when Moses and Pharaoh were going at it with one another.

We did it in three acts, with other portions of the worship service between the acts. A couple of years ago we did a newscast covering the exploits of Samson, but that was all acted out in front of the congregation. For the plagues, we prerecorded all the "live action reports" from the field. Then we had a live anchor team at the news desk interacting with their prerecorded segments. That took some practice, but it worked out pretty well.

Our "meteorologist" was done in front of a blue screen where we could add in a map of Egypt (complete with a high-pressure system moving in from the west of the Nile). We had fun with that because her forecast was always wrong ("It is NOT going to hail!")

By using video, we were able to draw in some additional talent. A "retired" Pathfinder did some graphics for us to make the newscast "splash" intro, including some voiceovers. That part looked incredibly professional. A Pathfinder dad did all the video editing (and he - by far - had the most work to do).

Between the anchor team, the prerecorded " live" action reporters, and the people they were interviewing, we had an acting part for just about everyone in our club. We prerecorded the ones who would normally be too shy to act in front of an audience, and used our stage-fright-free Pathfinders for the live parts. Since news reporters often have papers on their desks, our live actors were able to sneak their scripts into the performance.

It was an awful lot of fun (and an awful lot of work).

Post subject: Re: Biblical Newscasts
PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:01 pm 
Master Guide

I have just finished writing this year's newscast script. We're covering excerpts from the book of Mark. Again, we will record the "live action reporters" interviewing people who witnessed the events, and we'll have an anchor team on the stage interacting with the recorded performances during the worship service.

Tomorrow I will hand out the script so the kids can begin memorizing their lines. In the next week or so we will begin shooting the various scenes. I think this year we will do a lot more blue-screen shots, and superimpose the actors over some backgrounds. That way we won't have to build any elaborate sets.

If anyone else wants to use the script, shoot me a message and I'll email it to you.