Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help for Devotional
PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:29 pm 
Helpful Explorer

it's been awhile I know, this year we decided to give the club another try and they chose me to give the devotional next meeting. I have plenty of things to say, but their more for sermons than a 5-10 minute devotional. Any ideas of good 'straight to the point" devotionals?

Post subject: Re: Help for Devotional
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:43 pm 
Astute Guide

I think that every once in a while it's good to have a devotional that gets the kids involved. Something I did for a children's story once was this:

I asked two kids to volunteer. I had them blindfolded and told them to draw a picture of a tree (or something simple). Then I took the blind pictures away, unblinded them, and told them to draw another one, but with their eyes open.

The point was that when you are blind folded and don't have light, you can't sufficiently draw anything very well. But when you have light, you can draw something that people can recognize. In the same way, without Jesus in your life, your life will be a mess. But if you let Jesus take off the blindfold and fill your life, your life will leave a mark that people recognize as divine.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject: Re: Help for Devotional
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:21 pm 
Master Guide

One that I like to do every five years or so is have the kids become the solar system. I start by designating one kid as the Earth and tell her to turn in place, representing the day/night cycle. Then I bring in another child to be the moon. The moon always presents its face to the earth as it goes around, so "Moon" does that as well, circling the Earth, but always facing her.

That's when the fun really starts. I bring in the Sun, and instruct Earth to go around it in a large circle representing the years. Moon has to keep up! With more kids you can add Mercury, and Venus inside Earth's orbit, and Mars to the outside (Mars has TWO moons!). I would not recommend adding more than that unless you like ceding control to chaos.

Invariably, they will all get dizzy and confused, and that's when I share the lesson. God made the Earth, Moon, and Sun, and He set them in motion. They never get confused about how they are supposed to move, and they never get dizzy. We can always count on the Sun to rise every morning, and for the months and seasons to come and go just as He designed.