Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:08 am 
Astute Guide

My family has been tossing this idea around a bit, and I think it would work well with a Pathfinder club too.

I'm sure more of you have some vague idea of what geocaching is... and for those of you who don't, it's basically real, live treasure hunting (you know, like the games you played as a kid?).

Anyhow, our family decided recently the geocaching would be an awesome way of spreading the gospel. We're thinking just getting some little promotional stuff from 3abn or something (keychains, pens, etc.) and sticking those in caches, old Guides and Primary Treasures, drill a hole through the corner of Steps to Christ and put a travel bug on it... stuff like that.

"The union of all strengthens the work of each." ~Ellen G. White, 1SM 84.3

Post subject: Geocaching outreach
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:26 pm 
Site Admin

Hello,

Be sure to read the geocaching.com website for stipulations on religious literature in geocaches. Basically, the hobby wants to remain free of advertising or promotion from anyone, commercial and religious...

See these links:
http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx

http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index. ... pic=139933

Mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:37 pm 
Master Guide

The pertinent info from Mark's first link:
Quote:
Solicitations are off-limits. For example, caches perceived to be posted for religious, political, charitable or social agendas are not permitted. Geocaching is supposed to be a light, fun activity, not a platform for an agenda.

I wonder if you could get around that by having a secondary cache nearby, with coordinates stored in the first cache (along with an explanation of what's in the secondary cache). That way you could post the coords of the first one without violating those guidelines. I would think that most people would make the effort to find the secondary cache since they were in the neighborhood.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:06 pm 
Astute Guide

Yeah, I suppose that would work...

I'm kinda new to geocaching, so haven't read all the rules yet. But thanks for the heads-up! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:18 pm 
Skillful Ranger

I feel there are ways to share God through geocaching. As Pathfinders, one way is to know and follow the rules of whatever sport/game we are playing. This sets the example of living the Pathfinders law.

My club hosted a CITO event last spring. We served our community by cleaning trash from a public use area, and got word out about our club, and our ideals. By showing our community leaders that our club is about serving others we were able to share our faith through geocaching.

The cache event has been archived since it is in the past, but you can see the listing at the following link.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 8b8ee1e18e

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:08 am 
Astute Guide

You can still put in little trinkets that have a website or something for those who wish to know more. For instance, lots of ministries of the church have little keychains or stress balls or pens or something that have their name and website. You can stick those in without "forcing" your religion on people, but if they are interested they can learn more. I can't see how that would be breaking rules.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:42 pm 
Master Guide

Last year our church held a series of evangelistic meetings at our church. We advertised it on our sign in the front yard. It "just so happened" that there was a geocaching event about a mile away from there a couple of days before the first meeting, and people in our church were wondering (and praying about) how we could attract extra attention to our sign. I suggested we hide a geocache on the sign, and the idea was approved. It's just a magnetic key holder attached to the post where it's not obviously visible (except to cachers).

Over the next couple of days before the event, the geocache (which I named "Signs of the Times") was visited by about a hundred people who otherwise would not have paid any attention to our sign. I don't know that any geocachers came to our meetings or not, but I do know that people continue to visit the sign, which continues to provide inspirational messages.

This cache does not directly solicit or promote our religion, so it is perfectly within the geocaching rules. But it does indirectly draw attention to the messages we place there.

Another approach I have seen around here are puzzle caches that quote scripture. The text is given, but the chapter/verse is omitted and serves as a portion of the cache's coordinates.

Yet another way to share God through geocaching is to attend geocaching events and actually meet people (what a concept!). I have made some new friends this way and have had opportunity to share my faith with them.

Can anyone else list ways they've shared God through geocaching? I'd like to hear about it.