Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bloom Clock Project
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:00 pm 
Master Guide

I don't know if this is a "service idea that works" or not, but I thought I'd share it here anyhow. Wikibooks has a sister project called Wikiversity, and a sub-project there is a "Bloom Clock." This project is attempting to log when flowers are in bloom all over the world, and this data can be used in many different ways (for designing non-chemical pest management schemes, global warming detecting, generating identification keys, etc). It is easy to contribute, and it sure does help a person learn a thing or two about flowering plants. All you have to do is create an account, find flowers you've seen in bloom in the past few days, and sign the log page for those flowers. You can find the pages at http://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Bloom_Clock/Welcome

The most important logs for a flower are the first bloom of the year, and the last bloom of the year. Right now is one of those critical times, because many flowers are just now shutting down their little blossom factories.

This is also a good place to identify flowers you've seen but can't identify. All you have to do is upload a picture of it and ask what it is. Someone (often a professional botanist) usually ids it in a day or less. If you're working on the Flowers Advanced honor, this is gold.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:34 am 
Master Guide

Jim,

Thanks. I will help since I do have in my house various flower gardens. Come October, is the time the plant mums. Never thought about the Flowers Advanced honor. I think I will check the requirements.