Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:24 pm 
Superlative Voyager

For the past 2 or 3 years, the Gulf States conference has "Taken a City for Christ". That is, Pathfinders from the conference gather together in a camping excursion, bring along their yard tools, and clean up parts of a city. In 2004 we were in Fort Walton, FL. I loved being able to be part of such a project as this. The efforts were worth it. We worked together as teams, clearing thorny vines, picking up trash, raking pinestraw and leaves, all so the city could look just a little bit better. We all had so many positive responses. They definatly want us to come back out...

I remember this one lady who drove up and asked us who we were. When I told her we were Pathfinders and that we were doing a community service, she was amazed. She didn't know there were still people in the world who cared about such things as picking up the city. It was a great way to witness.

Is there anyone else who has done this in their community/conference? Any interesting stories to share of how you could share your faith?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 2:36 pm 
New Friend

Did you contact the city to find out where they needed the work done or did you just find a place that needed cleaned up and start cleaning?

It sounds like a great idea.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:32 am 
Astute Guide

ARKLA does this type of Camporee every few years.
We were at Hope, Arkansas earlier this year.
The city of Hope was contacted to determine what they needed.

See the Conference Camporee section for more information.
The Teddy Bear Camporee

Mr Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 1:06 pm 
Participating Companion

It is my understanding that one of the leaders of the local church set up the arrangements for sites for the Pathfinders to work in. Ads were placed in the paper with a deadline to respond. One of the places that we also worked in was the YMCA, cleaning, helping with mailings, in exchange for use of the showers while we were in town. Our club, along with 2 others, literally transformed an overgrown lot into something that looked like a park afterwards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:20 pm 
Superlative Voyager

Take A City 2006 was great! Held in Panama City, FL(hometown for once :D). It is true that the director of the local hosting club goes into the community and church to find those who need help. Our group painted outside Anchorage Children's Home along with the Meridian Pathfinders. I'll be posting up some pics hopefully soon! One of the big treats was going to the beach after working so hard. It was a great way to relax and prepare for Sabbath. I would love to see other's stories on this forum as to what they did during Take a City 2006, Panama City, FL.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:55 pm 
Participating Companion

Thats insane but you need a lot of people and a lot of support financially and spirutually

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:30 am 
Master Guide

We do this type of thing during my conferences (Upper Columbia) Teen Pathfinder Mission Adventure each spring break.

As well as doing construction projects (schools, churches, summer camps..etc), we have various community service that we do for the community we are in. More info about our projects at (http://www.pathfindersonline.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=869)