Pathfindersonline

Networking ideas for Pathfinder Ministry
It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:48 pm 
Master Guide

The Staff Manual has an outline of an Induction service, and we have used variations of it for years. Last year I added a twist to it. There are 15 points of the Pledge and Law (and 15 candles for that). Instead of randomly assigning Pathfinders an element of the P&L, I decided to assign them to each kid with a reason - and when I told them the point they were selected to present, I told them why I had selected them, complete with examples. Then I asked them to come up with an explanation of their point and deliver it during the ceremony. Every single one of them did.

This year I have been very pressed for time, and though I wanted to do that again, I just couldn't manage it. During our meeting last weekend, we needed to assign the points of the P&L again, and to my surprise, each kid remembered what they had been assigned the previous year. They ALL remembered. So they got those points again this year. We did not assign any points to last year's Friend Class, since they were the ones to whom the explanation was delivered. So this year we had a group discussion matching each of them to a point covered by staff last year (or covered by a PF who is not with us this year).

I was floored that they remembered, and I take it as a testament to the merit of the idea. If you can manage to custom tailor these assignments, I highly recommend it.